Cultivated Reef

AP24 Set Up! (Picture Intensive)

Kylebeano

dahliaheartsyou
Glad your slowing down. Even though your tank is cycled dude, its still new and it can only take a little thing for it to crash. Everything looks cool though. I would put the worm in the sand.

+1

id take it slower too, and the worm will be better in the sand =]

one thing, i would move the blastos away from the gsp FAR away because if some snail or something knocks them over into the gsp, they are going to be TOAST

oh, and yes those are daisy polyps

and the other is either a partially bleached yuma or shroom, hard to tell from the pics....

nice sun coral colony!!!

=]

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Glad your slowing down. Even though your tank is cycled dude, its still new and it can only take a little thing for it to crash. Everything looks cool though. I would put the worm in the sand.

Thanks. I have moved the coco to another place, in the sand, it still hasnt come out :(

Ill stay on top of things though, do my best to make sure there isnt a crash!

+1

id take it slower too, and the worm will be better in the sand =]

one thing, i would move the blastos away from the gsp FAR away because if some snail or something knocks them over into the gsp, they are going to be TOAST

oh, and yes those are daisy polyps

and the other is either a partially bleached yuma or shroom, hard to tell from the pics....

nice sun coral colony!!!

=]

I wedged the blasto's rock into a nice crevice :) thanks for the advice.

I really like the yuma however it is now though lol, if it is bleached i hope it stays that way, it is beautiful. I wish i had a nice camera to show how it really looks. And thank you, I try my best to keep the suncoral happy!

Thanks. I have moved the coco to another place, in the sand, it still hasnt come out :(

They can take awhile to come out after being moved. One of mine took a couple weeks to come out all the time.

They can take awhile to come out after being moved. One of mine took a couple weeks to come out all the time.

Well, I thought it might take a week as well, but while I was feeding last night, it came out. And its been staying out as well, im afraid the heads are shading a candy cane though, should i move the canes?

One of my shrimps molted too! Is this a good sign that it is comfortable? I got a good look at the large bristle worm last night, it is huge! As soon as I saw it I got the turkey baster, but was too slow for it. I really need to get it out lol.

Well, I thought it might take a week as well, but while I was feeding last night, it came out. And its been staying out as well, im afraid the heads are shading a candy cane though, should i move the canes?

One of my shrimps molted too! Is this a good sign that it is comfortable? I got a good look at the large bristle worm last night, it is huge! As soon as I saw it I got the turkey baster, but was too slow for it. I really need to get it out lol.

There is a large debate on whether bristle worms are bad or good. Most i have read say they are good and are nice additions to a cuc. I have 1 big one somewhere in my tank and he is good at grabbing left over food. I have seen him a couple times snagging some mysis and retreating back into the rocks. He has not bothered anything yet.

There is a large debate on whether bristle worms are bad or good. Most i have read say they are good and are nice additions to a cuc. I have 1 big one somewhere in my tank and he is good at grabbing left over food. I have seen him a couple times snagging some mysis and retreating back into the rocks. He has not bothered anything yet.

Thanks, I know they're getting fed well because they are bigger every time I see them! I found a big one in my fuge the other day too lol.

I think a bristle worm might have been the cause to a patch of my zoas demise though. The rock the corals were on was nearest to the rock where most of the big worms live, thats just what im speculating though. Ive been doing water checks every few days, and everything is still fine, just the temp is dropping a couple degrees because of the weather.

Now since the old zoas went bad, I had to replace them :/

The month of not buying coral isnt going too well, but all I bought were some replacement corals, nothing special.

And a six-line wrasse to add some pep and maybe control the bristle worms when they start putting out juveniles. I was afraid of my fish not getting along when i put him in there, but the wrasse was actually timid towards the firefish and chromie. They all get along just fine now.

Im not sure what kind any of the new zoos are, but none of the frags were over $10, so I figured what the heck.

Here are some purple-blue ones ($8):

NanoReef256.jpgNanoReef268.jpg

Aquamarine-turqoiseie? ($7):

NanoReef254.jpgNanoReef267.jpg

I mounted the rocks they came on onto a larger rock with my first zoas:

NanoReef264.jpg

New green-orange-paly frag ($10):

NanoReef261.jpgNanoReef270.jpg

My yuma:

NanoReef271.jpg

Ricordia:

NanoReef272.jpg

Hairy shroom:

NanoReef273.jpg

And some pictures of my fish together and the new wrasse:

NanoReef275.jpg

NanoReef277.jpg

The Valley:

NanoReef282.jpg

FTS:

NanoReef281.jpg

Well, ive had a new macro algae growing in the tank for a couple weeks, I never got photos of it because of the lack of a better camera. It started out as one tiny little leaf, I just let it float around to see what it would become, and here it is, Can anyone please ID it?

reefbre043.jpg

reefbre045.jpg

Here are some more pictures of my corals with the better camera:

Zoas

reefbre112.jpgreefbre036.jpgreefbre023.jpg

Shrooms

reefbre017.jpgreefbre117.jpg

Blastos, Xenia, GSP

reefbre018.jpgreefbre019.jpgreefbre037.jpg

Candycanes with Coco Worm

reefbre038.jpg

Here you can see the Blue in the candycanes, and then the red in their bases

reefbre046.jpgreefbre110.jpg

Another shot of the Valley

reefbre124.jpg

Oh, and my sun corals are doing fantastic! Ill get a good picture of them all open up and fully extended tonight after work!

Here are the suncorals coming out for feeding

11-2-08002.jpg

And here they are during feeding

11-2-08016.jpg11-2-08017.jpg

11-2-08022.jpg

Candycanes during feeding

11-2-08007.jpg

And my cucumber just molted, the old skin looks nasty, but at least it's trying to eat the stuff lol

Oh I love the photo of the feeding sweepers on the candy cane... Excellent!

You're making me want a sun polyp colony!

I really like your choice of fishes too!

Oh I love the photo of the feeding sweepers on the candy cane... Excellent!

You're making me want a sun polyp colony!

I really like your choice of fishes too!

Thanks again, the candycanes really are neat. Mine deflate and puff back up regularly as well, and theyre putting off some little heads, so im sure its fine. And the sun corals are especially beautiful while being the showpiece of the tank. They just need to be fed and cleaned, im feeding them and the candys one cube of frozen zooplankton a day along with cyclopeez granules every other day, and there still are no signs of nitrate or nitrite build up.

Nice tank, The sun corals orange color just pops.

Thank you! Im thinking the colors have actually strengthened since I bought them lol!

Very nice tank for being a month old. i just started my AP 24 about a week ago. Hopefully I wont manage to get "buy" happy with it at the beginning!

Very nice tank for being a month old. i just started my AP 24 about a week ago. Hopefully I wont manage to get "buy" happy with it at the beginning!

Thanks man! And as long as you stay on top of things, like parameters, water changes, you should be able to buy a few nice things. Just wait for some food to grow in there, and a CUC will be in order, that gave me something to look at for a week lol.

looks good. really good.

just read thru the enire thread. was shaking my head a bit saying "wow this person needs to slow down" but im glad as the thread progressed you did "slow down" a bit.

keep up with the good work & going slowly. everything will be fine

looks good. really good.

just read thru the enire thread. was shaking my head a bit saying "wow this person needs to slow down" but im glad as the thread progressed you did "slow down" a bit.

keep up with the good work & going slowly. everything will be fine

Thanks for the compliment! I just finished with some cleaning and pruning, which ill be doing a lot more of now that im just letting things grow lol

Well.....I did a bad thing....

I bought some corals from Mr. Coral last night right before the %50 off sale ended. But, hopefully if he gets my e-mails, they wont be shipped for a little while. Heres what I ended up getting:

1 x ULTRA RARE Pogi’ng Pana PALYTHOAS ZOANTHIDS (U40) = $12.48

1 x ULTRA JOKERS REVENGE PALYTHOAS ZOANTHIDS (U6) = $12.48

1 x NEON GREEN SPAGHETTI (S12A) = $39.98

1 x RIC 23 () = $6.00

1 x RIC 27 () = $6.00

1 x CRAZY FIGI LEATHER (S17A) = $29.98

1 x Australian Coral!! GREEN DUNCAN FRAG (AUS8) = $12.48

1 x Australian Coral!! BLUE DUNCAN FRAG (AUS9) = $14.98

I figured it was a killer deal, considering my LFS doesnt really have coool BLUE fiji leather, large neon green spaghettis, or BLUE duncans. And ricordias for $6 are just outrageous, I should have got more lol. And he said for every $100 spent, he'll throw in a free frag of something in stock, that'll be a neat surprise! Ive done a little research on some of these corals, and it is recommended that they be supplemented with strontium, iodine, and calcium, for continuous good health. Is this necessary, or will they be fine with target feeding?

Boy, ive been spending more and more money. I also bought phishyaly's 7g AIO. It comes with protein skimmer, ATO, and a 70w MH retro hood which is just BA. Any stocking ideas? Ill see how low I can keep the temp, with a little fan blowing on it, to see if it can keep sps.

Ill update some photos when both of these orders get here.

Otherwise, my tank doing pretty well. Ive been checking the water, even bringing it to the LFS as a double check, and things are still fine. I put in a new bag of phosphate remover, and chemipure elite. Along with trimming my fuge calupra to get some red smile off its surface, I think im going to start doing a reverse light cycle for the algae? I may need a larger CUC as well, because even with once a week siphoning, a little brown algae is present on the bottom. And since saturday, ive only been feeding the corals every other day. Maybe this will help.

AcroporaLokani

Sounds like a good deal on all those corals, they will look awesome in your tank. And those sunpolyps look healthier than any other ones I have seen on this site or off it.

Sounds like a good deal on all those corals, they will look awesome in your tank. And those sunpolyps look healthier than any other ones I have seen on this site or off it.

Yeah, those new corals should add a nice contrast in color and fill in some voids.

And thank you! I appreciate that about my sunpolyps! I try to take good care of them, my tank gets fed because of them lol.

And your new tank will fill in very nicely, it really cool how you arranged the corals with that rockwork.

Well, the new 7g tank is all set up and hopefully cycling.

And the Mr. Coral order comes in tomorrow! Yay! Ill get some updated pictures of the tank later on today, then post the after pictures when the new corals are in place !:D!

Here are some pictures of the new corals a little after acclimation.

11-19-08010.jpg

11-19-08064.jpg

11-19-08065.jpg

11-19-08035.jpg

11-19-08059.jpg

11-19-08051.jpg

FTS

11-19-08071.jpg

Ill get some better pics and description when theyre kinda settled in later, im tired from my hockey game.

Thanks everyone, and any advise on placement is welcome, so that they dont kill each other lol.

I really like that huge leather you got in there...also, those blue duncans will grow really really fast. I got some of the same variety from Mr. Coral a while back and they've probably doubled or tripled in about a month's time. So put them somewhere they can expand and watch them dominate your rockwork!

very nice additions! And kudos on getting them at those prices!!!!!

Thanks!

I know, I just couldnt resist not buying them at that price.

I really like that huge leather you got in there...also, those blue duncans will grow really really fast. I got some of the same variety from Mr. Coral a while back and they've probably doubled or tripled in about a month's time. So put them somewhere they can expand and watch them dominate your rockwork!

I really wasnt expecting the leather to be that big lol, and it looked really blue in the pictures on his website, maybe it'll color up a little. Its looking slightly brown, along with the spaghetti finger, its not very green yet.

And I look forward to those duncans multiplying! Thats awesome. When they get too much, my LFS already said they want some.

Here is the picture update.

So to recap... I made an order from Mr. Coral. It went well. I really like the corals, although some of the colors seen on the website dont come out in my PCs :(

Here is a picture description of the corals!

1 x ULTRA RARE Pogi’ng Pana PALYTHOAS ZOANTHIDS (U40) = $12.48

11-20-08044.jpg

1 x ULTRA JOKERS REVENGE PALYTHOAS ZOANTHIDS (U6) = $12.48 (He sent me two frags)

11-20-08042.jpg

11-20-08043.jpg

1 x NEON GREEN SPAGHETTI (S12A) = $39.98

11-20-08015.jpg

11-20-08049.jpg

1 x CRAZY FIGI LEATHER (S17A) = $29.98

11-19-08021.jpg

11-20-08066.jpg

1 x Australian Coral!! GREEN DUNCAN FRAG (AUS8) = $12.48

1 x Australian Coral!! BLUE DUNCAN FRAG (AUS9) = $14.98

11-20-08036.jpg

1 x RIC 23 () = $6.00

1 x RIC 27 () = $6.00

11-19-08009.jpg

11-19-08010.jpg

Here is what he threw in for free, Toadstool, It has some green to it.

11-20-08011.jpg

And here are some updated shots of the tank:

Blue candy canes

11-20-08014.jpg

Fish and coco worm

11-20-08024.jpg

Mushroooms!

11-20-08029.jpg

Coraline algae growing fierce on this rock

11-19-08030.jpg

11-19-08031.jpg

Top down of the valley

11-19-08034.jpg

Actnic shot

11-20-08051.jpg

Is this a sponge on my blastos? And is it harmful to them?

11-20-08039.jpg

FTS

11-20-08064.jpg

11-20-08063.jpg

Thanks for looking everyone! And any advice or input is welcome!

Archived