Top Shelf Aquatics

AP24 Set Up! (Picture Intensive)

Kylebeano

Ill be adding to this first post throughout my reefing experience. Updating it with current livestock, hardware, and FTS.

Hardware

Aquapod 24

Current Outer Orbit 24" [One 150 Watt 14k Metal Halide and Two 65 Watt Actinic (420nm/460nm) Power Compact bulbs]

AC70 Fuge mod with DIY daylight and Calupra

Soap Dish

Koralia 2

Livestock

Inverts:

Sea Cucumber

10 Astraea snails

7 Nassarius snails

3 Cerith snails

1 Bumble bee snail

3 Blue leg Hermit crabs

6 Scarlet Hermit crabs

1 Skunk Cleaner shrimp

1 Large Coco Worm

1 Emerald Crab

Corals:

SunCoral

Green Star Polyps (long tentacle)

Daisy Star Polyps

Xenia

Blastos (Green center, Red Rim)

Candy Cane (Neon Green)

Candy Cane (Blue?)

Zoa (Green) (Red/Green) (Purple) (Aquamarine) (Orange) (Tubs Blues) etc...

Palys (Jokers) (Pogi’ng Pana) (Green) (Peaple Eaters) (Cinnamon) etc...

Mushroom (Green striped)

Yuma (Purple/florescent blue.green)

Ricordia (Orange/purple.blue) (Green) (Peach) (Violet)

Green Hairy Mushroom

Toadstool (Green)

Duncans (Blue) (Green)

Fiji Leather

Spaghetti Leather

Orange/Red Monti cap

Frogspawn (Green)

Green Slimer

Birdsnest

Fish:

Green Chromie

Purple Firefish

Six-Line Wrasse

FTS 2-11-09

2-11-09059.jpg

Well, Ive been looking for a nice saltwater tank for a while now, a couple months. At first I was set on getting a tank around 55 gallons and didnt know much about what kind of filters and lighting to use, i would have just picked up one of the kits at the big pet stores like petco. Then I found this brilliant site and did quite a bit of reading and research.

I found a used ap24 at one of my LFS and was looking at it for a while debating if I wanted a pico tank or not. Today, I went and bought it. It has an upgraded pump and the previous owner ditched the hood and put on a current CF light, and a stand, for $160. I also bought the live sand, live rock, salt, and water treatment (as I used tap water to fill it). I am EXCITED! This has been great, just setting up the aquarium. I look forward so much to starting a nano-reef. Anyways, here are some pictures of the set up.

For now I am keeping the balls and sponge, but what are possible future upgrades?

NanoReef005.jpg

The salinity was at 33ppt so I added the LS, a little cloudy...

NanoReef006.jpg

This is the lightning fixture that is on it.

NanoReef011.jpg

NanoReef012.jpg

NanoReef013.jpg

Here it is with the light on!

NanoReef020.jpg

Is this a good water level? Im not sure how much evaporation I might have.

NanoReef056.jpg

Left Side RockScaping

NanoReef065.jpg

Front View

NanoReef084.jpg

Right Side RockScaping

NanoReef076.jpg

Here is a shot of what it looks like now, its been up and running for 5 hours!

NanoReef090.jpg

The rock is already cured, so im not sure how long the cycle will take, but im looking forward to it! The return head spins and created a good little current in there as well as some nice surface disturbance. When its all ready to drop some things in there, a store has some powerheads 50% off.

Any advice or comments for a beginner?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bioballs and sponge isn't going to do anything positive for your reef. Pull that stuff out of there and add a skimmer :) You'll also want to add a powerhead for flow.

Any reason you used tapwater? There are any number of bad things in tap water...

I had asked this question to my LFS when I bought the tank as well(I was just going to buy 20 gallons of their water), and she said that it is fine as long as i put in the water treatment. She has filled customer tanks of hundreds of gallons on tap water with fine results.

I am anxious to test the water though, I was just going to bring her a sample next thursday.

I am anxious to test the water though, I was just going to bring her a sample next thursday.

In general, don't trust people from LFS. What is this "water treatment?" Just dechlorinator? Regardless, there are lots of things you likely aren't going to be testing for that may be in the local water supply - it is best to start with RO/DI water so that you know the water is safe.

The water conditioner is called 'Prime'. I was going to use RO water for all my water changes, would you recommend I do a large water change for the first one with ro/di water? Thank you

Well i say just do a big 50%+ waterchange with ro or ro/di and then leave the tank alone. Let it cycle and then do all your future wc's with pure water, not tap.

BTW- :welcome: to Nano-Reef and a very awesome(expensive) hobby!

Thank you! I'll go get some water on monday and do the change. And hey! I'm from tucson!

Did some rearranging as well, what do you think?!

FTS

NanoReef099.jpg

Left Side

NanoReef103.jpg

Right Side

NanoReef112.jpg

I love the aquapod tanks so much that I bought them in both sizes w/sunpods. Everybody here already seemed to have shcooled you on your water and filtration issues so my next question is what are your stocking plans. The rockwork looks good how it is btw.

Thank you, the tank caught my eye at first at the store because I thought it was an EcoSystems mini, and I like it just as well. Im thinking about buying a hang on filter and turning it into a fuge, unless I can do that in the back overflow. For now all im looking for is a CUC, they are as follows:

5 Cerith

5 Astrea snails

3 Nassarius snails

3 Nerite snails

1 Turbo

1 Fighting conch

2 Blue legged hermits

2 Scarlet reef hermits

Once I get some cheato and pods going, as well as a little better light, my stocking wishes are like this:

Coral - Hammer, Torch, Xenia, Green Star Polyp, Mushrooms, Rics, Blastos, Zoas, Daisys, Yuma, Duncan (wishes!)

Fish - Watchman Goby, Purple Firefish, Ocellaris Clown, and a Six Line if it behaves well with the others

Shrimp - Skunk, Blood, Maybe another

Those are all some really nice choices and I might want to start a LPS tank in a spare 20 long I have for some blasto's and acan's and other things that catch my eye. If you looking to get a fuge put in the back there are a lot of threads here that people have done this on I think. If you look in my ap24 thread I just used an overflow box and added a sump underneath in a cabinet. I don't know how much room you have under that stand but you might be able to fit a 5.5g in there and just make it into half sump half fuge like I had with my ten gallon. Need any help feel free to PM me with any questions.

If you look in my ap24 thread I just used an overflow box and added a sump underneath in a cabinet. I don't know how much room you have under that stand but you might be able to fit a 5.5g in there and just make it into half sump half fuge like I had with my ten gallon. Need any help feel free to PM me with any questions.

Thank you! But, this stand is really tiny, I can barely fit what supplies I have now in it. I did check out your overflow to sump setup. There's just no room around my stand for something as large and involved as that, I do like how your pluming doesnt have any bends though. Its straight and easy! Both your aquapods look very well maintained and show it in their health!

There is quite a bit of algae in the tank already, green and red, and what looks like to be a neon green sponge? Pictures aren't coming out too well, so ill try during the day. I bought a hermit crab and he acclimated very well and has been very busy trying to make a dent in any of the rocks' algae, his name is Wally.

I also bought a Koralia 2 because petland had them fifty percent off and all they had left were twos and threes. It seemed like it added too much so I took it out. Should the Koralia Nano be a better fit?

I saw bagoegg's thread on his AP24, and it has inspired me to mod the AC70 into a fuge for it. I also took out most of the spunge and all the bio balls today, thanks everyone for the advise. Tomorrow ill do a very large water change!

before you start adding any live stock/corals let your tank cycle for at least 1 to 1 1/2 moths for best results. Its a slow process but its what your tank need to build up all its bio stuff. For the algae get some turbos snails, Blue and leg hermits. Or just ask your local LFS for a clean up crew package for a start up tank and they should give you what you need to start the tank.

I really recommed you not to use tap water in your Salt water tank. By doing that you will have lots of algae and disease problems. Tap water has alot of nasty stuff in it. Just use RO/DI.

Good Luck and ejoy your new hobby.

looks good thus far :)

uhm, what is that light? you mentioned that it was something he did. whats the brand of the light?

im thinking about ditching my hood :\

Whatever you do in the future keep away from tap water. You will never get rid of algea that way and just keep introducing more into it. I fill up a 5g water jug for weekly water changes and a 2.5 gallon water jug for my top off's at a local supermarket that has 8 stage filtration including ro/do for 25 cents a gallon. It's worth the spare headace of trying to fight nasties that you should never introduce into your tank in the first place.

Thanks for the shoutout! Tank is looking good. Get any new pics of your green spongey thing? Stock slow and test like crazy and you will be able to get the tank going. What are your tests at? That fighting conch may get too big for the AP. Everything else looks good! Get some more pics up! omgomgomg

About the K2 being too much flow-->

I ran an AP24 for 6 months. Had a K1. Not enough flow for me. Sold it to a friend who has a 30ish long.

Bought a K2 and was pretty happy with it. Then I got daring, and bought a K3! I used the k3 till I got a frogspawn. Switched back to the K2 and was happy.

Then I got real smart. sold all my Koralia's and bought the single best investment for my tank. A Vortech mp40w. Group buy with StanD. (he does these frequently)

In short: Stick with the K2 most corals like it. Unless your sandbed begins to lift off. Just don't point it at the bed.

P.S. Did you know The Koralia's range from K1-K8 now! 240-3250 GPH.

I really recommed you not to use tap water in your Salt water tank.

Good Luck and ejoy your new hobby.

Whatever you do in the future keep away from tap water.

Haha alright guys, I get it. Ive already made some little DI water changes. When my LFS opens up for the week, ill head over there to do my first large water change lol.

looks good thus far :)

uhm, what is that light? you mentioned that it was something he did. whats the brand of the light?

im thinking about ditching my hood :\

Its a Current Satellite Dual 40 Watt 20"

I think it will work out very well, almost 4 watts per gallon.

Light

Thanks for the shoutout! Tank is looking good. Get any new pics of your green spongey thing? Stock slow and test like crazy and you will be able to get the tank going. What are your tests at? That fighting conch may get too big for the AP. Everything else looks good! Get some more pics up! omgomgomg

Thank you! I tried my best to get a shot of it, ill post the pic down further. My camera is like 7 years old, and i use a magnifying glass in front of the lens to get better shots lol, it works the best it can...

I tested the other day and everything was good, and then i brought my water in today to a LFS to have them test it and everything was great! No ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates. They said it is ready to stock, but im not going to yet, ill still wait a week or so.

About the K2 being too much flow-->

I ran an AP24 for 6 months. Had a K1. Not enough flow for me. Sold it to a friend who has a 30ish long.

Bought a K2 and was pretty happy with it. Then I got daring, and bought a K3! I used the k3 till I got a frogspawn. Switched back to the K2 and was happy.

Then I got real smart. sold all my Koralia's and bought the single best investment for my tank. A Vortech mp40w. Group buy with StanD. (he does these frequently)

In short: Stick with the K2 most corals like it. Unless your sandbed begins to lift off. Just don't point it at the bed.

P.S. Did you know The Koralia's range from K1-K8 now! 240-3250 GPH.

Ill try different positions for it then, where I had it, the thing was kicking up a bunch of debris and just looked out of place lol. Thanks.

________________________________________________________________________________

Mind you, I have to use a magnifying glass just to help focus the zoom on my camera lol

Here is the BEST picture I could get of the green sponge thing, a top down shot

NanoReef121.jpg

Here is some of the Red Algae

NanoReef123.jpg

Here is Wally, always hard at work

NanoReef124.jpg

Soon to be a Chaeto Fuge!

NanoReef128.jpg

And a new FTS

NanoReef126.jpg

green sponge as you claim ( picture quality sucks so not certain ) but sounds like a common green sponge.. and red algae looks/sounds like red slime algae..

make sure wally has shells to change in/out of or else he'll eat your snails right out of theirs

Archived