Top Shelf Aquatics

Will reef-roids reduce water quality?

xenon

How much reef-roids should I feed my tank and will it effect my water quality?

I take alot of pride in the fact that I have zero nitrates. :D

My LFS feeds his tank reef-roids and cyclopeeze.

First time feeding and my ricordia's went nuts for it.

I picked up a Tunze 9002 skimmer today so that I can feed them 2x per week.

My only problem now is that my fire shrimp steal all the food and make the corals retract. :(

I can never win.

First time feeding and my ricordia's went nuts for it.

I picked up a Tunze 9002 skimmer today so that I can feed them 2x per week.

My only problem now is that my fire shrimp steal all the food and make the corals retract. :(

I can never win.

Feed him first on the other side of the tank, then feed the rics while the shrimp is munchin'.

Feed him first on the other side of the tank, then feed the rics while the shrimp is munchin'.

i dont want to add a skimmer to my 12g nanocube. Can i feed feer roids once a week to my zoas and rics and be ok?

The Propagator

Yeah that's why I don't keep shrimp any more.

Little fookers were constantly robbing my coral during feeding time no matter if I fed them 1st or not.

Its bad enough having to shew away the hermits man ! LOL!

I may try this stuff. Sounds interesting for a dry food.

• 1 month later...
Yeah that's why I don't keep shrimp any more.

Little fookers were constantly robbing my coral during feeding time no matter if I fed them 1st or not.

Its bad enough having to shew away the hermits man ! LOL!

I may try this stuff. Sounds interesting for a dry food.

For the sake of my alveopora I feed this 3ish times a week, run a Tunze 9002/HOB fuge, and have no nitrates.

Adam

I feed reefroids 1 time a week. My zoa, Acans and frogspawn goes crazy, Acan gets nice and plump. My skimmer stays busy for a day or two. But no nitrate problem

Edited by babyjess210
i dont want to add a skimmer to my 12g nanocube. Can i feed feer roids once a week to my zoas and rics and be ok?

I think you'll be fine. Maybe just a couple times a week, and keep on top of your water changes! JMO.

• 10 years later...

I don't have a skimmer and feed reef roids once a month or bi-weekly. I always perform a ~20% water change after I feed with reef roids.

It would be hard for me to believe that using reef-roids in a nano tank wouldn't have an impact on excess nutrients and algae. But some tanks can handle that biological load better than others. My experience is when I use reef roids too frequently I see green slime algae and hair algae develop. I stopped testing nitrates months ago (not recommended) as my conditions were always stable.

I suggest to start out feeding very infrequently and increase the frequency until you are happy with the results without water quality consequence.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, ThatReefGuy718 said:

Ph 8

Nitra 0 

Nitri 0

Ammon 0

Calcium 440

Alk 12.5

Phos 0

You resurrected a 10 year old thread 🤷‍♂️

I pour in reef roods.... love that stuff. Probably do a tablespoon every other day 

• Haha 1

I use reef-roids and coral frenzy 2-3 times per week.  I don't use a skimmer.  I don't have algae problems and my nitrates are around 5 at best/worst most of the time.  They've been at 0 lately.  Like others have mentioned, spot feed with a turkey baster.  

• 4 weeks later...