Pod Your Reef

Athecate Hydroids?

fellbeast

Are these Athecate hydroids? If so will they die off naturally or with skimming? Here's the link to a pic of them.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=170854

Can I tweezer them off? There is such limited info on them, and so many varieties it's hard to tell. They do retract, but only the fuzzy part. I have ones with brown fuzzies and green ones. The fuzzy part is really short, and most pics I've seen of hydroids have long tentacles.

Yes, they are hydroids, tweezing doesn't really work worth crap, IME so you would be better off supergluing or epoxying over them, I've yet to kill mine short of killing the rock.

Yes, they are hydroids, tweezing doesn't really work worth crap, IME so you would be better off supergluing or epoxying over them, I've yet to kill mine short of killing the rock.

Will a protein skimmer help get rid of them? I've read that they eventually die off b/c of a lack of nutrients. If you tweeze them wil they spread?

I've recently had a bloom of hydroids as well, but I only have them in the "jellyfish" or medusa stage. I assume I will get the ones like you have as well.

I was told by one of the more experienced reefers here, that they will are fishfood. But I think he was refering to my jellyfish hydroids.

If you tweezer them off the crown will drift away and form a new colony.They are not a big deal IMO, they did not bother my mushrooms when they expanded over them.

And no, skimming will not starve them out.

I've recently had a bloom of hydroids as well, but I only have them in the "jellyfish" or medusa stage. I assume I will get the ones like you have as well.

I was told by one of the more experienced reefers here, that they will are fishfood. But I think he was refering to my jellyfish hydroids.

I think I have a few of those too.. they look like stars, with one longer appendage right? My clown has been eating them

If you tweezer them off the crown will drift away and form a new colony.They are not a big deal IMO, they did not bother my mushrooms when they expanded over them.

And no, skimming will not starve them out.

The crown retracts into the tube, will it still drift off if I get it while it's inside the tube? I have read that they are not a huge deal, and my mushroom is next to a small colony.

Problem is they will spread eventually and then try getting them off your prized corals, they are killing off part of a favia I have now and have damaged other things in the past, mushrooms and leathers don't seem to mind them, IME.

I was waondering the other day in the morn my shroom would open and close and open and close. I found 3 hyroids underneath him. When I cam home two tentacles near him were shrunken. So I took out that rock. Torched em with a lighter. There are a few other small colonies. One is doing good the other looks like it's dying off. I'm prepared to burn every fricken one of em off my stack! ARGHH! :ninja::rant:

Archived