Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Nal's awesome picotope

NAL

Well my goal is to keep a clean simple picotope. I have so far got all the corals/rock/maco/water, and some sand to seed my sand bed from my 20L. I have been wanting to set up a picotope for a long time, but it just never seem to be the right time. I had a picotope once in my closet, and it fell from the top shelf, and broke into a million peices, so, I bought another one. I want to have a nice collection of zoas and rics, with a pistol shrimp and goby combo. I have a duncan I want to put in there after awhile as well.

I have a 50w hydor heater, and might someday upgrade to a titanium 50w heater. I have been having troubles keeping the temp stable, does everyone turn their heaters off when the lights are on. If this problem persists, I might just get a temp controller, I just don't want to worry about that while I'm gone.

I modded an AC 70 into a fuge. It has an AC 50 impeller, trimmed. I ordered an AC 20 impeller though, so that should be here by the end of the week. I ended up trimming this one too much, EEEK! It will run the filter, but takes awhile to get the siphon going, so it spits and sputters for a couple of hours. I still have to get a light for the fuge, I will use a desk lamp for now, but thinking of a submergible LED around 6700k, of course.

I have an ATO ready to go, but not running yet, I just have to pick up some hoses. It's a simple float switch hooked up to a small powerhead.

I got a 24w Odyssea 50/50. It came with some huge legs, that allow you to tilt the light up, which is nice, but they are so big. At first, I didn't think I would like it, but after I filled it with water, it didn't look so bad. It also supplied me with a nice place to mount my ATO float switch.

-Equipment

3gal picotope

24w Odyssea 50/50

50w hydor

AC 70 fuge w/ trimmed down AC 50 impeller (ordered an AC 20 impeller)

-Corals

Zoas

Mushrooms

Hammer

Xenia

-Corals I will be putting in soon

Orange Ric

Green Zoas

Duncan

-Planned fish/inverts

Hi Fin Red Banded Goby

-OR-

Tangaroa Goby

-OR-

Yashia Goby

Pistol Shrimp

pt1.jpg

pt2.jpg

pt3.jpg

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok......after looking closer at fiction's picotope, I noticed he has a 25w stealth, I might go that route. I have always trusted stealths, and it looks like it fits nice in the fuge.

I would get the yashai,but they dont live very long from what ive heard

I have never heard that about the Yashais, but they are so pretty.

Nice, I like your rockwork w/ alot of open room and possible coral placments.

I hope to keep the middle just sand, nothing else.

I love these tanks. My favorite tank right now, sits on my desk at work. Your set up looks good.

Ya, they are cool. Thanks :)

Thanks Gerber77. :) Cytosine, I probably will just get a hi-fin red banded gobie, they are a lot cheaper.

So I was getting flammed on a local forum about this tank, so to stir things up, I posted this pic. :)

dorie-1.jpg

I am battling my temps with this 50w, I need to get a 25w or a temp controller. It works fine if I have the heater on at while the light isn't, but it's still not stable. I use to care for my roommates betta, because she never did. I had a 2.5g setup, and with a 25w heater, that thing stayed 80* almost on the nuts, and it had an 11w bulb on it. I have that heater, but it's like 9" or so. I might throw that in, see if that works.

I figured people would look before they read, I always do. :) Some people on thre are say that 3gals are unmanageable. That they rarely work, just being elitist @$^%s.

My 5g is easier for me. I used to have a 60g and keeping up w/ water changes was tuff. So I think the small ones are easier for me. I am working on a 30g, but that is just because I am running out of room :P

So I was getting flammed on a local forum about this tank, so to stir things up, I posted this pic. :)

dorie-1.jpg

I would suggest getting a larger Tang. Or maybe a mated pair. Actually, just get a Yellow Tang to mate with your Blue (Hippo) Tang and you could sell the baby Green Tangs here. Put me on the waiting list! ;)

Hahaha, ya, I usually only go on the forum for the classifieds. I knew every here would have my back.

So I'm excited to get my gobie and pistol shrimp, but I am going to wait to make sure everything stays stable, and get my heat issues taken care of.

My 5g is easier for me. I used to have a 60g and keeping up w/ water changes was tuff. So I think the small ones are easier for me. I am working on a 30g, but that is just because I am running out of room :P

Agreed. I pour a cup of RO/DI top off a day.

Change out 3-4 cups for water changes once a week.

Than deal with gallons and gallons for waterchanges. quick and simple.

I went to the hardward store and got some hose for my ATO, I want to figure out a way to hardwire it to the filter, but IDK right now. When I bought the filter, the kid forgot to put the lid in the box, so I'm waiting for that now. I went to petsmart, and they didn't have a heater. I do have one of those lil beta tank flat heaters somewhere I might try.

ATO.jpg

Ok......after looking closer at fiction's picotope, I noticed he has a 25w stealth, I might go that route. I have always trusted stealths, and it looks like it fits nice in the fuge.

nonsense, yashias only live shortlives if stuffed in itty bitty tanks.

nonsense, yashias only live shortlives if stuffed in itty bitty tanks.

First of all, your comment had nothing to do with the comment you quoted. Secondly, don't hate, participate.

So I bought a 25w stealth today to go into my fuge, awesome. We'll see how she does by morning, I think this is going to be the ticket. I got 2 hermits, 2 astrea snails, and 2 ceriths. I need to get a few Nassarias Snails, they are my favorite.

snaileggs-1.jpg

Dude! that is such an awesome tank. I saw a high fin banded goby at a store near me.It was like $20. I wish i got it but, my dad wanted me to get a Ycg . Well, thats what i wanted. So, all i can say is WOOT

Archived