Cultivated Reef

[Contest] j0hnny's Officially Unofficial 5.5 Gallon Contest Entry

j0hnny

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm cheering for johnny.

Nice setup!!

Thanks bro! If it will hold water, I might stand a chance!! I applied the final silicone to the side walls. It started out looking nice, then I totally botched it. It looks like a total mess right now. I'll post pics after I scrape off all the excess black silicone.

I think I figured out the lighting. I have a 24" Current USA Dual Satellite that I was going to gut out to add a 70 HQI for the display, and an 18w PC over the fuge/planted side. Since I'll be stocking mainly LPS, PC light will work fine. Rather than buy $150 worth of extra light components to mod this thing, I'd rather just use the light as it is. It should supply plenty of light for the two tanks, forget the 24 hour photo period, I'll just deal with PH swings, and run a 12 on/12 off photo period. I'm guessing this configuration will allow for a large amount of gas exchange at the water surface, so PH shouldn't be too big of an issue here.

If this doesn't work too well, I'll probably run a 12" dual satellite, and a regular 12" satellite on individual arms over the respective tanks. I'll have time to worry more about lighting while the tank is cycling.

I added water this morning.

Issue #1:

One of the tanks leaks on both sides, at the points where the wall attaches to the floor, in the corners. It's because I scraped away some adhesive to make room for the wall to sit there last night - so it would sit level. I'm hoping I can get that fixed with some silicone after it dries up.

Issue #2:

Pumps are completely inadequate. These are rated at about 105gph with like a 32" head. What I didn't consider is the head loss for pumping down, below the pump, and back up under about 10" of water.

So first things first, I need to solve the leak issue. If I can't do that, new pumps are worthless.

Second, I think I'm just going to add a couple MJ1200's and be done with it. They will fit in my rear chambers, and should have the horsepower to give me some flow and overcome the head loss I'm faced with. These are $19.99 each at Marinedepot.com. So $40 of my budget needs to be allocated to pumps, whereas $0 was allocated before.

Other than those issues, the system runs nicely. It's very quiet, and works as expected.

I may still be able to pull this off. I'll have to run the system under 20 watt Coralife screw in bulbs to do it though!!!! HA!

Thanks Jen!

Update about the leak:

OK, the leak was too bad to fix in one tank. I caused the leak because I glued the back wall to the floor after I glued the floor to the tank. This disrupted the seal on the edges of the wall. I bought new tanks, and assembled the wall and floor outside the tank. I also clipped the bottom edges of the wall so I could seal the floor around the entire perimeter of the tank. Tonight I'll be testing for leaks on the new tanks.

For the record, These are tanks #4 & 5. First two - one had a leak - so I ditched them both. I planned to rebuild two with the identical building method - which is an improvement over the first method. So I bought two more tanks, and broke one while removing the bottom. I bought one more, and scored some scrap ABS from a local plastic shop for free.

Update about the flow:

Dr. Fosters has a sale on Maxi-Jets. I bought two 900's ($15.99 ea.) which aren't strong enough with the existing plumbing on the old set-up. I have 2 MJ 1200's on the way ($18.39 ea.) I'm testing the new plumbing tonight after work - hopefully with less head loss. I'll know which pumps I'm using after that, and will calculate the budget at that point. So far, the pumps will be the only thing coming out of my budget.

looking good so far! cant wait to see final set up.

i was just wondering why you are so interested in hiding the powercords through the bottom of the tank,from what i understand there gonna be behind false walls, so you wouldnt even see them at all?

A current FTS and updated budget posted on the 17th of every month is a requirement of this contest.

You need to paypal a late penalty of $5 and post your FTS and budget by the end of today or risk disqualification.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Gratuitis shot of me and Todd Bridges in London (Heathrow Airport). Guess which one is me!?:

5_Gallon_Contest024.jpg

Tank looks awesome man I got tied up in real life so I suppose Ill have to take a back seat and watch:(

Hey I btw i pwned todd bridges with my boomkin.

Archived