Pod Your Reef

Reznor's Current Cardiff Bullet Aquarium

Reznor252

Well I finally got around to taking some horrible pictures of my new Current Cardiff I got at the end of august. Sorry the pics are crap but I suck at tank pics. Specs are as follows.

Current Cardiff with black stand and disco ball 150w hqi pendant.

Upgraded main pump to a Rio 1700+.

Current 1/15th hp chiller being fed by stock cardiff pump throttled down a tad.

25ish pounds of Marshall Island live rock from my old Oceanic 45g.

30lbs of Caribsea aragonite select sized sand

Stock skimmer

all media removed

stock ato bottles and bottle plate removed

Auto top off dual float switch from autotopoff.com

Stock list

4 scarlet hermits

2 Astrea snails

4 ultra grade crocea clams

4 Ricordia Yuma colonies (roughly 30 or so polyps)

5 small zoa frags - found under the live rock of my Oceanic 45, at one time I had over 4000+ polyps of zoa's in that tank.

1 supposed blue hammer - customer brought me this hammer and said it was all blue. Only time will tell if that was true.

DSC00534.JPG

DSC00535.JPG

DSC00537.JPG

DSC00538.JPG

DSC00539.JPG

DSC00540.JPG

DSC00541.JPG

Now there are a few things I love and hate about this tank. First the build quality is alot better than the Solana. One problem I always had with the Solana was the glass not squaring up and the sloppy silicone job. Not a problem with this tank. I always thought the round disco ball looked goofy on the Solana. The round ball matches the rounded front alot better on the cardiff. Now the bad.... the glass has such an extreme bend that it is an absolute chore to clean and it causes some distortion when viewing. For the first week or so I would get dizzy looking at it. Once I got used to it I don't seem to have that problem.

very nice. i cant wait to stop by and see this thing first hand setup. you are the only one crazy enough to keep some of the things u do. The clams are unbelivable. great job bro. Talk to ya later today.

Why is it a chore to clean? I would think that a simple wipe across the curved front with a magfloat would easily do the trick? I am thinking hard about buying this setup.

no, i'm sure its easy to clean. i mean some of the corals i've seen this dude keep and how he sets things up would blow u away. He is a utter wizard when it comes to making things for his system to make it run smoother and with very low maitanice. B) kudos Reznor keep up the awsome work. cya at work.

Why is it a chore to clean? I would think that a simple wipe across the curved front with a magfloat would easily do the trick? I am thinking hard about buying this setup.

The glass is at such an aggressive bend that the mag float does not make very good contact with the glass. Roughly 15-20% of the float makes contact so there are many repeat trips across the tank. I usually tend to go at it with a sponge instead.

Nice clams.

Thanks. We got a box lot of 40 in on our last Vietnam shipment . I could not resist cherry picking a few for my tank. Was a little hesitant adding clams so soon since it was just set up less than a month ago but the live rock has been in an established tank of some kind for over 5 years and I have been watching my params like a hawk. I figured if they showed any signs of stress I could move them to my well estabolished 75g.

I need to snap some more pictures. I have recently added 3 more Ricordia Yuma colonies and upgraded my HQI to a Phoenix 14k+ and added 2 koralia nano's mounted to the back plastic wall. Thinking about moving 3 large colonies (200+ polyps each) of zoo's from my 75 over to fill the cardiff out.

So, I've never visited any Tulsa LFSs. Do you have any stores that are really good in terms of livestock?

Just my store... although I am a little biased since my family owns it. We have about 6000+ gallons of fresh and salt with probably close to 1000 gallons of that being dedicated strictly to corals.

Awesome Tank can't wait to see updated pics.

If you don't mind me asking do you know what are the prices like on wholesale corals like zoa colonies or clams? Must be awesome to get wholesale price

Awesome Tank can't wait to see updated pics.

If you don't mind me asking do you know what are the prices like on wholesale corals like zoa colonies or clams? Must be awesome to get wholesale price

Wholesale pricing is a funny topic. It is all about who you know and how well you are established in the trade. For instance a few of our vendors charge $35-55 per Ricordia, more expensive than most people pay retail online. On the other hand I have contacts that sell to me at an affordable price I can pass the savings onto my customers. For example, the Rics in my above pictures we sell for 14.99 and the clams for 39.99 and I get massive zoo colonies I can frag and sell 30+polyp frags for 14.99 and still turn enough profit to stay in lucrative business while we have lost 4 stores in the area in the last 18 months. It's all relative I suppose.

I will try to get some pics snapped tomorrow night. I just moved 1 medium and 1 massive zoa colony from my 75 and stirred up the sand a little bit so everything is mad right now.

ok Rez,i cant wait any longer. after we leave your shop today and after i get the little one i wanna stop by and check it out. maybe i'll cherry pick a couple of things for my tank. :P cya this afternoon bud.

Archived