Top Shelf Aquatics

NRF's Simple Wonders 5.5

Needreefunds

I thought magnetite was just what magnets are made of?

well, magnets are created by introduction of electrical charge to produce polartiy. magnetite simply responds to the polarity. so yeah, you could make it out of magnetite, but the mineral itself is just Fe3O4, usually black needly things that attach to magnets to varying degrees.

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well, magnets are created by introduction of electrical charge to produce polartiy. magnetite simply responds to the polarity. so yeah, you could make it out of magnetite, but the mineral itself is just Fe3O4, usually black needly things that attach to magnets to varying degrees.

Ahh, okay.

btw, sorry for the hijack NRF. :flower:

Random note --> Doesn't the presence of magnetite encourage the reproduction of anaerobic bacteria? (ie what you would want in a DSB). I dunno.

Tank looks great, btw!

dunno about that one...but the iron *could* (kinetics are terribly slow, so not saying it would) cause an algae growth.

Wow, lots o action here!

Thanks for the interest all.

The black sand debate. after further review.........

OK, we will stick with this and see how it goes.

This will add some more to the "wonder" part of the theme LOL.

I will use a pad or sponge cleaner from here on out.

fingerscrossed for a smooth Fedex delivery!

Hey looks sharp! I'm using Tahitian Moon Sand in my 5.5's (at least one of them) as well. I bought 60 pounds of it for my main tank, but didn't use it yet. I also have it in my nano-cube! I like it, but it gets 'dirty' quick, and it's hard to keep looking black. I like it, I haven't had any issues with nuisance algae at all.

Thanx again guys! :lol:

Ok, so the "element" is here.

Yup, the rock. This super sexy live rock was on the sea floor Saturday and now is in my little 5.5.

Thanks to Ken at Sea Life, my contest tank is underway.

The Simple part you saw already. Tank, sand, heater and the Subcurrent filter provides filtration and flow.

Now we do water changes daily or twice daily and save what life I can and go from there. That's the wonder part. Wonder what the theme will be, what made the trip and is strong enough to survive it and my feeble reefing skilz.

Thanks and stay tuned. :D

018-21.jpg

:)

Best idea ever. I can't wait to see what pops up! So your not gonna add anything? Not even a fish?

Wow, Thanks Jamie!

I may, if the rock does not provide much more excitement lol! I will give it some time, see what critters we have and if the environment is suitable for additional corals and fish I may add a few. Possibly.

But the real hope is the rock will provide plenty of interesting life to observe.

I have wanted to try this for awhile and the contest gave me the final nudge I needed. :D

I'm happy you folks like the idea. Doubtful this will be a "winner", but that was not the real intent.

I am having a blast following along with the other contestants and its nice to see everyone enjoying it as well.

Well, even if it's not a winner, it's still a really interesting idea. I wish I'd done something cool like this, but all I've got is a plain old tank. Oh well, next time.

Good luck! I hope you get some good stuff off of that rock. :)

Well, even if it's not a winner, it's still a really interesting idea. I wish I'd done something cool like this, but all I've got is a plain old tank. Oh well, next time.

Good luck! I hope you get some good stuff off of that rock. :)

Thanks Jamie, and to you as well!

OK, ammonia levels are MUCH higher than I thought they might be :o

I performed water changes around midnight and again this morning before work. Another right now and will again in the morning and so on.....

So far I have spotted alive: pencil urchin, a tiny crab, many various worms, one, possibly two tiny mantis shrimp. I tried to get pics but they didn't look so good. I will see if I can clean them up some.

Honestly, I am not very hopeful of saving many of these critters.

But we will continue with the plan, and do the best we can.

What a cool idea! This contest won't be long enough for you. It has been almost 2 years & I am still finding stuff show up on my rock I got from Sea Life!

What a cool idea! This contest won't be long enough for you. It has been almost 2 years & I am still finding stuff show up on my rock I got from Sea Life!

LOL, very true Sue!

my Nano is a year and a half and still new stuff showing up!

Mantis??????

002-28.jpg

005-27.jpg

Ok, I say yes based on this pic, but please chime in!!!!

012-25.jpg

me thinkz i seez a stomatopod.....z.

:)

:lol: yup. Tink so too. So maybees can haz stomatotopeia habitatz ?

Lights out so I will see if he comes back out again.

Continued to siphon out as much junk as I could. Also removed the dead snail ( PU )

Tank does not smell that bad at all.

Yes I sniff my tank. Problem wit dat?

:lol:

hmmm, the shrimp looks a lot like the coldwater mudshrimp we have here, so it could be a tropical version of those, but I'll have to let the mantis experts decide on that one.

Archived