SaltCritters.com

NRF's Simple Wonders 5.5

Needreefunds

And from experience an unwatched tank is a tank that won't be taken care of.
Bingo. That's why I just moved my FOWLR to my parents house. Between my Mom and my little brother at least the glass will get scraped. I'm tired of that tank, but can't bring myself to get rid of it. Since its now in someone elses living room I'll at least do the water changes out of pity, but they feed it, top it off, and mag-float the glass. ...and pay for the livestock additions, :happy: .
  • Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was D's tank not mine.

I have a small desk in the living room that I could potentally add something to, but not until after I pass the CPA exam.

Needreefunds
That was D's tank not mine.

Yes, I remember that. We all got a chuckle that day.

BTW, Please say hello to my ol' buddy D :happy:

I have a small desk in the living room that I could potentally add something to, but not until after I pass the CPA exam.

OK, cool, so after you pass the exam, you're in... right? ;)

:lol:

I am so psyched that you're doing this again. I loved this tank.

My last batch of Sealifeinc rock came with hidden cup coral, and though I thought it was dead at first, it wasn't, and now it's probably my favorite thing in the tank. Maybe ask Ken to keep his eyes open...

• 4 years later...

You know what else would be interesting.....

Take a normal 10g, divide in half with simple Plexi (or glass, I guess)

Set an AquaClear HOB up so that the intake tube is on one side and the overflow on the other side

Cut a simple notch in Plexi to allow simple water overflow from one side to the other

Place Sealife rock on one side and the freshest Pacific rock you can find on the other side

Run each side on a reverse light cycle

See what pops up!

I wonder how fresh the Pacific rock is that Premium Aquatics gets in....

Spose we could ask them.

Y'know, that WOULD be kinda interesting....

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/28/2009 at 11:00 PM, tinyreef said:

now that is what a true reef should look like! i really like this setup.

there are many tanks that look amazingly colored, aquascaped, and well-laid out, but this tank looks REAL! B) great job, nrf!

your tank/rockwork is what i wished my tanks looked like. *thumbsup*

THIS. 

This tank still stands as one of my favorite builds I have seen done on here, and deserves to be pulled out and revisited. 

YW. :D

On 3/16/2009 at 6:26 PM, Needreefunds said:

OK, so this is it. The final post for the contest.

Simple Wonders.

The Simple-

The idea was to pick up fresh live rock, soft cycle and try to save all the life I could. Ken at Sealife was very helpful and he sent me some freshly picked rock.

The Wonders-

Wonder what will survive the trip from Fla to NJ.

What will the tank become?

Will I be lucky enough to have a few hitchhiker corals and macros to keep the tank interesting?

The results-

This little tank has provided me all I could have possibly hoped for and more.

Too many macros to even begin to ID.

Two types of Porites survived. One seems to do very well while the other is barely hanging on.

Various crabs, snails, worms, bivalves and shrimp ( two pistols methinks ) all in the mix.

A pencil urchin survived as well.

I did add a small CUC from Reefcleaners.

I also added a pom pom crab and two mini nems. Not so much to add to the tank, simply this tank was the best option for both at the time. Also added a money cowrie to help keep the fuzzies at bay.

So that is really it, short and sweet.

I am not going crazy with this write up as I doubt I have any chance of wining. I did not participate with hopes of a prize. I joined in for the fun of it. This contest came about and gave me the final push to put together this little tank that I had thought about for some time.

I have had a blast following the others and I was also rather saddened by those who had to drop out for various reasons, but as we all know things happen.

Ok, the rundown.......

THE LIST

Tank-------------------------------------------free

Delphin 25w ultra compact heater-------------------21.99--(LFS and that's what I paid rant01.gif laugh.gif )

18" Nove xtreme --T5 fixture-----------------------62.99

Subcurrent filter system----------------------------26.19

Coralife digi thermometer ( 6.99 ) -------------------free

Super fresh Live rock *special thanks to Ken at Sealife!* --50.00

CUC members *special thanks to John at Reefcleaners!* --15.00

Pompom crab * special Thanks to Eugene ( Rehype ) * --15.00

Money cowrie * special thanks to Weetabix *------------6.00

(2) mini 'nems @ $15 each* Thanks again to Weetie!! *---30.00

I know that Live rock is not supposed to count against the budget but in my case I think it should as this is the main element of my tank. Also rather than drive poor Weetie to drink by trying to figure out the "cost" of each hitchhiker this seems the best way all around.

And now a few progression shots here for you to (hopefully) enjoy.

021-16.jpg

Getting started with some cleaning and a couple beers.

Tank should smell lemony fresh soon! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

015-22.jpg

Up and running

010-24.jpg

The day the rock arrived

047-8.jpg

10-17-08 FTS

024-18.jpg

11-17-08 FTS

003-46.jpg

12-16-08 FTS

002-54.jpg

01-17-09 FTS

012-FTS1-16-09-1.jpg

02-16-09 FTS

012-4.jpg

3-16-2009 FTS

01101.jpg

Think I may be pushing the limit here, so these are my favorite shots-

021RAWR1.jpg

018RAWr1.jpg

012-FTS1-16-09-1.jpg

014-32.jpg

015-40.jpg

008-46.jpg

009-45.jpg

012-43.jpg

013-43.jpg

014-41.jpg

I intend on keeping this tank going. I would love to add other mini nem morphs, but as most of you know Daniel and Adin have all of them and will NOT share :lol: Also perhaps a couple sexies, but I need to talk to Lani about that ;)

Thanks so much to everyone who followed along. I very much appreciate the kind and encouraging words.

:bowdown:

Good luck to all the contestants !! :)

--Richie

A well deserved resurrection. 

Needreefunds

I still want to do this again some day. This tank was a blast but I'd like to do it on a slightly bigger scale. My RSM perhaps?? Some day... Ironic that you posted this Weets. I was reading this thread last night. I love how so many people enjoyed this ride along with me. :)

Just now, Needreefunds said:

I still want to do this again some day. This tank was a blast but I'd like to do it on a slightly bigger scale. My RSM perhaps?? Some day... Ironic that you posted this Weets. I was reading this thread last night. I love how so many people enjoyed this ride along with me. :)

I was thinking I'd love to do this on a slightly bigger scale too. 

Maybe we could talk and throw some ideas back and forth and come up with something. :happy:

You know where to find me. 

Archived