ReefCleaners.org

The Officially Unofficial Tank Contest

Weetabix7

Well then that means that I could never enter any contest. People who say fans work have never tried keeping a tank in my house.

how hot do you keep the house?? :huh:

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so you can do mods to the tanks?? or no... that would be a factor to me joining

You can mod all you want as long as you start with a stock 5.5 or 10g and keep it within the budget.

5.5g- $250

10g- $300

No, you can't plumb the contest tank into a larger system, I'm sorry.

get outa my head......... now others know my ideas :angry:

edit: looks likes thats a no-no....... <_<

I'm not in the contest, but I saw nothing in the rules about plumbing it into a larger system. what if someone does this, will they be DQ'd?

the only way I could keep any smaller tank in my house from overheating would be to plumb it into my chilled sump from my other tank.

Anyone else having issues with their lighting taking up too much of their budget or is it only me? Just curious o_o

I just ordered a Sunpod for my 10g tank which I just set up yesterday. Between that, pumps and heater I have about $10 left in the budget. So I'm on the sidelines too.

I didn't start the tank with the thought that it would be a contest entry so no big deal in my case.

-hank

I just ordered a Sunpod for my 10g tank which I just set up yesterday. Between that, pumps and heater I have about $10 left in the budget. So I'm on the sidelines too.

I didn't start the tank with the thought that it would be a contest entry so no big deal in my case.

-hank

Neither did I, but thought it would be neat to be able to enter for the fun of it. My light and shrimp (7 sexy and 2 harlequin) total about $215 >_<

May have to switch to a 5.5g and use screw in 50/50 bulbs :o

^for the contest that is, the 10g Sexy tank is still on!

This contest sounds like a great idea, I wish I could participate. I love the budget cap on the builds. It's really the only way to keep it fair, most long time reefers like myself have more equipment than we know what to do with laying all over the house. By having to deduct 75% of the used equipments market value it will keep the playing field level.

Bravo to Weetie and Kmitch for a well thought out contest! :D Good luck to all.

i have been planning to upgrade the 2.5 on my desk to a 5.5. would i be eligible for the contest in doing this?

See the note from Weetie previously, if you only have live rock and sand in the tank right now and its still cycling then you can join, otherwise no. This is designed to be a new tank build.

Yes your lighting might well take up some of your budget depending what you use, so budget wisely!

Or get creative, use sunlight or build a tank that doesnt require alot of lighting (like a seahorse tank) etc...

BibleSue and I are headed to a Frag Swap in Memphis on 9-27, and we sometimes see used equipment like lighting for good prices at places like that.

Let us know if you want us to keep an eye for something for you, but be relatively specific about what you want. We don't want to get something for you, then come back and have you say, "No, I didn't want that!"

Cause then we'd be out the $$ and stuck with it.

Wish I'd known about this at the last Frag Swap last month, there were def. some used light fixtures there that could have been used for this contest.

i think im in... when is the last day we can say were in or not... i might wait till the last min to throw my name in the hat... ill have to see if i have the time to mod the tank like i want to, and still have time to let it cycle and grow out

i think im in... when is the last day we can say were in or not... i might wait till the last min to throw my name in the hat... ill have to see if i have the time to mod the tank like i want to, and still have time to let it cycle and grow out

last day is next wednesday, must have tank with some object in it (coke can, teddy bear, wife, whatever...) pictured to enter.

last day is next wednesday, must have tank with some object in it (coke can, teddy bear, wife, whatever...) pictured to enter.

dont know if i can fit my wife/gf in a 5.5g... but ill try and cram her in there (actually no i wont... im going to try and replace my 2.8g with a 5.5g and see if she even notices) :D

dont know if i can fit my wife/gf in a 5.5g... but ill try and cram her in there (actually no i wont... im going to try and replace my 2.8g with a 5.5g and see if she even notices) :D

O_O

You have a wife and girlfriend?

I just made my first purchase for my tank, WHOO HOO!!! omgomgomg

Awesome!!!! Congratz :D Have the tank, filter, sand ready to go :D :D :D

This is such an awesome idea :D

good luck with that. I think between the two of them, one would likely notice ;)

Archived