Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

UV Sterilizer while cycling?

DRoy1124

Hey everyone,

Should I run my UV Sterilizer during the early stages of my tank? (Cycling, etc...) or should I wait a few weeks til my tank gets more established before I turn on the UV bulb.

Thanks!

i am no expert but would vote against it.

UV sterilizers kill bacteria and pathogens. at this point, you are trying to increase the bacteria in your tank. i suspect the sterilizer would only slow the proliferation of beneficial bacteria in your tank while it cycles (like a water change would remove it), slowing your cycle.

if you're using live rock, especially pre-cured live rock, the cycle shouldn't last more than a few days. give it a week, then turn it on. if you are wanting to use it to prevent parasites, then let the tank run with the uv for 6 weeks before adding fish, and quarantine any fish or at least freshwater dip them before adding them to the tank.

• 10 years later...

Cycling your tank should never be set to a specific time period.  Your tank may be different from others.  What may take someone 2 weeks can take you 6.  The best thing to do is to test regularly.  Chart it if possible.  I use aquatic log app.  When you have seen ammonia spike then drop, the nitrite spike then drop, nitrate spike then drop to close to zero.  Then you are close.  Most people think it's time to add livestock.  However, you should test for phosphate, calcium, mg, and rarely iodine and strontium. 

Regards to uv, it won't hurt.  It may help reduce your algae diatom bloom.   Then again, I don't know if it also slows down coraline algae too.  I bought one, but won't install and run 2 days prior to adding livestock.

• Like 1

have you watched the BRS investigates on UV? they are cycling 6 tank at once some with UV are different flow rates and some with out. I highly recommend watching if you have not.

did you add started bac.?  the thing is the bac, we want to is on the sand, rocks and glass not in the water. I personally would wait 1 week they fire it up.