Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Close loops VS Powerheads

Basile

Closed loop or powerheads for you.  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Closed loop - Powerheads

• Closed loop
    • Powerheads

Are vortechs what we are talking about here? When I think of a powerhead, I don't think of a vorthech at all.

You're right a Vortech or a Tunze isn't exactly on the same playing field as a maxi-jet.

However, I have used closed loops, (with and without SCWD) timer-based wavemakers with maxi-jets, Seios, Koralias, Tunze powerheads on controllers, and more recently, a Vortech.

The Vortech blows them all away in terms of efficacy and simplicity of use, as well as power consumption. (per amount of water moved)

I will literally never even think of using any other method of in-tank circulation again, except possibly Tunze controllable powerheads.

Also, keep in mind a Vortech is $300 for the (up to) 2k GPH version, $400 for the (up to) 3k GPH version. It takes up almost no space in the tank, and requires no plumbing, valves, etc to set up. A battery backup for an extra day or so of peace of mind is only 100 more. Vortechs also come with their own integrated controller with enough functionality to do whatever you would want to do.

Obviously, I am biased, but it isn't for lack of trying the alternatives. I just happen to think it is worth every penny. My corals have never been happier, and I like to support local businesses. :) (The Eco-Tech factory is about 20 minutes from where I am sitting.)

It sounds like alot of money, but when you really think about what you get for that money, its a bargain.

I should also say, in the interest of fairness, that Tunze products are every bit as good in terms of the practical result, but they look alot clunkier in the tank and aren't quite as easy to get working properly. One downside to the Vortech is you can't angle them at anything other than a right angle from the tank wall, which could be a deal-breaker depending on your aquascaping and the shape of the tank. Don't try to put one in a cramped tank with a high coral island in the dead center. You'll have a hell of a time figuring out where to put the damn thing, lol.

From what i red about the vortex, 6" to 9 " under the water line is best, The flow is too strong if put near the surface and you dont benefit from it power. The vortex will be responsable for the mid to surface flow, the tunze hiden in its made rock will take care of the bottom flow. And the return flow will take care of the surface flow and provide aireation wave. And yes for the vortex, it will touch the glass, the rock will be glued around the magnet area, the desing was just showing the desired position. :D

Be careful with the rock around it, it may significantly impact the flow of the Vortech. They really are rather unobtrusive, if you can stand to look at it, leave it exposed, IMO. It will work better, push more water, and create more of the charateristic "undertow" the vortechs are famous for.

JMO.

You're right a Vortech or a Tunze isn't exactly on the same playing field as a maxi-jet.

However, I have used closed loops, (with and without SCWD) timer-based wavemakers with maxi-jets, Seios, Koralias, Tunze powerheads on controllers, and more recently, a Vortech.

The Vortech blows them all away in terms of efficacy and simplicity of use, as well as power consumption. (per amount of water moved)

I will literally never even think of using any other method of in-tank circulation again, except possibly Tunze controllable powerheads.

Also, keep in mind a Vortech is $300 for the (up to) 2k GPH version, $400 for the (up to) 3k GPH version. It takes up almost no space in the tank, and requires no plumbing, valves, etc to set up. A battery backup for an extra day or so of peace of mind is only 100 more. Vortechs also come with their own integrated controller with enough functionality to do whatever you would want to do.

Obviously, I am biased, but it isn't for lack of trying the alternatives. I just happen to think it is worth every penny. My corals have never been happier, and I like to support local businesses. :) (The Eco-Tech factory is about 20 minutes from where I am sitting.)

It sounds like alot of money, but when you really think about what you get for that money, its a bargain.

I should also say, in the interest of fairness, that Tunze products are every bit as good in terms of the practical result, but they look alot clunkier in the tank and aren't quite as easy to get working properly. One downside to the Vortech is you can't angle them at anything other than a right angle from the tank wall, which could be a deal-breaker depending on your aquascaping and the shape of the tank. Don't try to put one in a cramped tank with a high coral island in the dead center. You'll have a hell of a time figuring out where to put the damn thing, lol.

Hi, i'm quite sold on the powerheads. As for the desing and orientation, if you look at it the water will be pushing straight foward,ricochet on the glass( breaking some surface water) and go left all the way to the Tuze hiding in its desing rock at the bottom of the tank to pick up and create an undercurrent. Both of them will creat a gyre effect read this link, a new way of thinking in waterflow.The island is a flow separator and conductor at the same time, read on http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/1/aafeature#h4 I will however make note by leaving the Vortex free of rocks and yes it will touch the glass to hook with its magnet.

post-34008-1221515135_thumb.jpg

post-34008-1221515157_thumb.jpg

Yours is on a 20 long, right?

Do you think a mp20 could be appropriate for a 15G? (24x12x12). I am not yet set up and might want to consider that. I am thinking that on its lowest or mid range setting it would be fine.

Yours is on a 20 long, right?

Do you think a mp20 could be appropriate for a 15G? (24x12x12). I am not yet set up and might want to consider that. I am thinking that on its lowest or mid range setting it would be fine.

Yes, my current tank is a 20L, though I have ordered a 40BR which will replace it soon. (I bought my MP20 with the 40BR in mind)

I was at first worried that it might be too powerful, but the flow is so broad and diffuse it doesn't bother them. It literally moves the entire water column in every corner of the tank, but does so fairly gently. I can't turn it all the way up in this tank, but I can go as high as 75%-ish in short pulse mode without problems.

I think you could use it in a 15 if you turn it way down. It can do anything from a gentle 500 to 2k GPH, so it should be fine. Its overkill, IMO, if you don't plan to upgrade to a larger tank in the future and really take advantage of its full range.

Periodically, I turn mine way up and blast the detritus out of the corners. Its great for cleaning. Just turn it up all the way for 5 minutes, then change the filters. No more detritus.

• 2 months later...

Well i got my tank today , the stand and the fuge is coming also. The 2 holes in the tank for the over flow and will have 2 powerheads in the tank. Finally made the choice.

Fairly new to this forum and seems like the closed loop system is the hottest topic at the moment.

can someone tell me exactly what a closed loop system is??????????????????????????????

its exactly what the name says... its a pump that is external from the tank with a feed line and a return line, most people drill holes in thier tanks to make them but there are other ways to do it... melevsreef.com its explained really well at that site... the main idea is that it keeps heat and power heads out of the tank

its exactly what the name says... its a pump that is external from the tank with a feed line and a return line, most people drill holes in thier tanks to make them but there are other ways to do it... melevsreef.com its explained really well at that site... the main idea is that it keeps heat and power heads out of the tank

OOHHH i see, looks like a basic ole fresh water setup to me... seems like you would still need powerheads too. Seems very permenant but I can see the potential especially if you can arrange the return for max flo..

coo

thanx for for the heads up

OOHHH i see, looks like a basic ole fresh water setup to me... seems like you would still need powerheads too. Seems very permenant but I can see the potential especially if you can arrange the return for max flo..

coo

thanx for for the heads up

The main difference between the 2 is, with a closed loop you have less hardware inside the aquarium. and you have the pump outside that provides water flow to the tank, you can have several nozzel at different point in the tank, also less heat transfert to water if pump is external. The down side much more plumbing that can go wrong-clog-pipes to be clean, it also cost more because of plumbing.

The powerhead offer more flexibility, you can place them anywhere, even at bottom, with no plumbing(expensive) and no risk of leaks, easyer to clean( put them in vinegar for a few hours and run them, rince and voila) The down sides they take room in your tank, depending on the brand , some are more bulkyer. But if you can stand there presence, they are as effective. They can also had heat, because of heat transfer; some like the vortech have outside motor, so no heat transfer.

The choice depend on the tank you want thats all both technology are good, both are downsides, and upsides.

From the link Visit My Website you can see from that example that the closed loop is as bulky as a powerhead. The closed loop in my opinion is better for huge system, 100G and up. It would take too many powerheads for a huge system and you would loose too much realestate in the tank. as for closed loop in a small tank 90G minus, powerheads would be more flexible and less trouble, the closed loop in that small system is bulky by the way not to discrete , there are ways of making it better looking and less visible, for one , black pvc or green attrack less attention, and the pluming is too obvious. 2 black powerhead in that system would of been better and has effective.IMO that is.

Archived