Pod Your Reef

Evilc66's 40B

evilc66

The LED setup for this tank is probably going nowhere until there is sand and rock in this tank. Once the cycle starts, I will have time to work on it.

Chazde3, I'm not looking forward to tapping all those holes. Drilling will be a breeze on the drill press. What won't be fun is milling out the pockets for the fans on my little desktop mill. Might not be too bad though.

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plumbing is finally done! No more pvc. No more teflon tape. No more Oatey. Now I hope it doesn't leak. I was going to do a leak test today, but I felt like I was pushing my luck doing it this late.

Sump is 90% complete. Just need to add in the baffle for the bubble tower, but I ran out of silicone. Figures. I could have run without it, but I might as well do it right.

Been watching the thread for awhile and i can't wait to see it all come together! just wanted to say, fantastic job thus far!

Chazde3, I'm not looking forward to tapping all those holes. Drilling will be a breeze on the drill press. What won't be fun is milling out the pockets for the fans on my little desktop mill. Might not be too bad though.

Pretty much identical to my little desktop mill. :)

haas_01.JPG

I would give my first born for a cnc milling center like that. For now, I will have to deal with my Sherline. Nice mill, but getting a little small for what I'm getting into.

I'll have pictures later today.

From the sounds of things on my zoa thread, I won't be able to keep enough Midas Golds in stock. Everyone wants those.

I'm sh!tting bricks right now. No leaks so far, but the stand and floor creaking is bugging me out.

Well, leak test is on hold. Found a leak at the ouput to the closed loop pump. Went to tighten the fitting down and the threads broke (not stripped). It's kind of a poor design honestly. The threads don't go all the way to the top of the opening, and it's a straight thread o-ring fitting. Torque it too hard and it stresses the area just above where the threads stop, which is where mine broke. Going to call Aqua Medic in the morning and get the part sent out overnight. I'm determined to get the tank running this weekend.

It's a fitting that threads into the pump body, then the nipple threads onto that.

Anyway, some pictures

DSC_0578.jpg

Sump layout. Water comes in at the top left into a bubble tower, and is forced through the bottom to the skimmer chamber. On through a bubble trap to the fuge, which them spills into the return area. The return pump, heater and carbon/GFO reactor pump will live there.

DSC_0580.jpg

The plumbing! I swear, there is a tank in there somewhere

DSC_0579.jpg

Closer shot of the display plumbing.

DSC_0584.jpg

Side shot. Everything is kept tight up to the back as much as possible.

DSC_0582.jpg

Front shot of the display.

Actually, none. I had a pretty clear idea of everything in my head, and took it one section at a time. The worst thing was positioning the Super Squirt in a practical position.

Wow, that's an impressive plumb job. You do some great work evilc. I can't wait to see that whole system running!!

Nah. Bit too far, and I have a bunch of Japanese deepwater zoas waiting for me here.

Wow, that's an impressive plumb job. You do some great work evilc. I can't wait to see that whole system running!!

Thanks. Needless to say, it's been a labor of love. But the fun part is still to come.

Nah. Bit too far, and I have a bunch of Japanese deepwater zoas waiting for me here.

Was gonna try to talk you out of a couple of those Midas yellow zoas you have if you were going.

Archived