Cultivated Reef

Evilc66's 40B

evilc66

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll shoot some pictures tomorrow when I start drilling the 30B. I just remembered that I need to put holes in the stand for the two bottom bulkeads. The bottom glass on those 40Bs is thick!

:angry::angry::angry::rant:

Got done drilling the 30B, started to clean it up to get it ready for paint, then BAM. Back glass breaks. Nice arc'd crack from the top corner to the oposite hole.

CIMG1731.jpg

Thankfully the LFS has another one. Still doesn't make it any better. Grrr. :angry:

NanoReefNovice

BOOOOOOO :(

Ive cracked an empty undrilled tank b4 by just pressing too hard when cleaning it. <_<

S U C K S

edit: when i drilled my tank i epoxied a piece of acrylic where i drilled the holes. Not sure if it really helps but it made me feel a little bit safer. fingerscrossed

Got the new one seconds ago. Apparently the cost of all AGA/Aqueon tanks went up, and it would have cost me damn near as much for this 30B as I paid for the 40B. Luckily the owner cut me a really good deal on the one he had in stock.

Fingers crossed on this one.

I just added up how much flow there will be in this system, and I think I surprized my self. 5200gph total :lol:

Display Tank:

700gph from sump to tank

1700gph closed loop

Frag tank:

700gph from display overflow

2800gph (max) from two controllable Koralia 4s,

Think I have enough?

Oh, two holes down, one to go. fingerscrossed

I was so nervous on the second tank for obvious reasons. I was walking on eggshells around it trying to touch it as little as possible to reduce any risk of breakage. It all came out well though. I did make one error, that wasn't that big of a deal. I wasn't paying attention to the direction of the template for the overflow, and the hole was drilled about 1/2" too high for me to fit the overflow under the rim. Ended up modifying the back of the overflow to fit, and will watch the water levels incase they get a little too high. Some slight modifications won't be that big of a deal if it's needed.

I did end up getting the 150W MH for the frag tank installed last night too. All wired and fired up. I love that Phoenix :) Sits perfectly in the underside of the top platform. A 1x2 spacer put the bottom of the reflector just below the 2x4 frame so I can just slide the glass in. From the front, you will never see it. I'll try and get some pictures tonight.

I still have to add a mount for the closed loop pump behind the display. It's all coming together. I'm so geeked.

el_vulture619

Just get a glass welder to fix that crack! You can rent one for pretty cheap @ Lincoln welding supplies...

First round of pvc fitting shopping today. Came back with 4 shopping backs full of fittings, unions and ball valves. Still looking for a fitting for the Super Squirt. Need a 3/4" MPT to 3/4" slip 45 degree fitting to keep things compact (thats why I got the compact version of the SS). Guarantee at least one more visit before this is done.

Got the media reactor installed today also. Small step, but a step none the less.

Wow.... I can't believe I'm just picking up on this thread now...

Well, as far as I can tell seems like it will be a pretty sweet system. I haven't seen too many setups like this with a display tank and a frag tank underneath...

Do you think you will experience any heat issues with the 150w MH under the display tank? I'm assuming you've thought about that, but I'm just wondering about your experiences...

Also, as always, I'm really looking forward to the LED light for the display!

Pictures! (of anything)!

I'll see what I can do at lunch on the picture front.

AJ, I definitely agree that this setup is different, but not unique. I have seen a handful of setups like this that were my initial inspiration. So far, I am really happy with the way things have been turning out, with the exception of the broken tank of course :angry:

I'm not worried about the MH. This had been brought up before. Wood is a pretty good insulator for the most part (until it catches fire :lol:), and with the 1" spacer between the reflector and the underside of the top platform and the 1/2" airgap under the tank itself, I have zero concerns about the heat. One plan I had was to have an 80mm fan blowing at the reflector to help keep temps down, but I don't think I need it. I have been running the MH recently to get a jump on the bulb break-in, and the surrounding area to the reflector just gets slightly warm to the touch. I'm sure I'm not going to feel much heat through 3/4" plywood.

Archived