Innovative Marine Aquariums

Spanko's biocube, what in Posiden's name is he up to now?

spanko

I took the acrylic top off as it is getting warm here and saw a 1 degree increase in temp already even with the 20 or so 5/16" holes I drilled in the cover. Put the screen top back together with two pcs. of 3/8" pond netting criss crossed to keep the Bali Tiger Jaw from jumping through like the Yellow head did.

Screen top

01nettop.jpg

Tailspot in his new PVC barnacle house. It was meant for the jawfish but he never went in.

01ts3.jpg

Another TS.

01ts5.jpg

Urchinhead

keanu.jpg

Nice setup man!

So what's the secret to the screen? Was it hard to do? And do you see a reduction in PAR for the lights?

keanu.jpg

Nice setup man!

So what's the secret to the screen? Was it hard to do? And do you see a reduction in PAR for the lights?

Nope not hard at all. Some plastic window screen frame from Lowes, some 3/8" pond netting two layers over top of each other so that the 3/8" hole is actually 1/2 that size on the diagonal. I believe the PAR probably went up from the acrylic top I had on there.

Urchinhead

Thank you sir! I will look into that this weekend. I have a wrasse that I don't want jumping and a firefish. What I was worried about was actually cuting down the par vs. an open top nothing covering it. I am just being lazy. I have a PAR meter and can test it for myself. ;)

Is the frame custom sizable? I have a 36 x 18 footprint...

And like I said your tank is looking all that and a bag of crisps mate!

Thanx Urchin. Yeah you buy the frame, some of that spline material, a couple of corner connectors and viola!

Even easier if you have a square or totally rectangular tank.

• 1 month later...
Urchinhead

Damn snappy tank my son! How hard was it to dual layer that screen? I have a 3/8" bird netting on there now but still had a blue spotted jump on me...

Actually took the two pcs., laid they out with a criss cross pattern and put a couple of small black cable ties on them to anchor them to each other. Then laid it on the frame and put the spline in. Not a problem at all. I have a Bali Tiger Jawfish that I have seen hit it a few times when launching itself up to get some food floating on the water surface and bounce back. Originally I just had one layer and had a Pearly Jawfish launch right through it. It is 3/8". You can purchase 1/4" on the web.

Urchinhead

Doh! I should have thought of that! Interesting... I will have to see if my google-fu is up to searching for 1/4" netting... Ok... My google-fu sucks. Any idea where to get 1/4" for under $100? As in about $10ish? Tried Home Depot and OSH...

Edited by Urchinhead

Do you ever catch your Blenny nipping at your SPS? The Blenny I just added is nipping at my Monti Cap. Do you know of any way I might be able to draw its attention elsewhere rather than trashing my Monti?

I don't see any nipping of the coral by my Tailspot blenny.

Hey subie. Everything is good. Have to get some new pics. It's about that time huh?

Thanks Tuddd. Lost track. However have had this one the longest so far and intend to keep it this way as along as I don't have to remove any fish.

Looks great Henry. Love all of the diversity of corals, fish, and inverts. All of the varying textures, sizes, shapes, and colors really looks great.

If you ever get the urge to chip off a piece of that chalice, let me know ;)

ahhh baby foxface! :Domgomgomg

Hee Hee. Don't know how much you have followed my tank over the past but yeah there is a foxface in a 29 gallon biocube.

I use them for control of a dastardly outbreak of Caulerpa.

This is my fifth one.

I purchase them small and trade them in at about 3.5".

They are wonderful Caulerpa eaters.

I dose vodka now and am hoping to arrive at some balance where the Caulerpa cannot survive within the ULN environment I hope to achieve. Then I will stop getting foxface.