Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Spanko's biocube, what in Posiden's name is he up to now?

spanko

By the way just so you can see.

These latest pictures are with a newer Radium 20k

Here is a full tank shot from 02-Dec-08 at the end of what I consider the life of the bulb at. 20 k Radium with 6 months run time. Close to 2,000 hours.

1fts-4.jpg

Here is the new shot from 12-Feb-09 with the 20k Radium and about 230 hours.

01fts.jpg

You can tell where the older bulb started to look yellow and the new bulb is back to that nice blue color.

So the current inhabitants, fishy wise, are a pair of black Ocellaris, a mystery wrasse, a tailspot blenny and a foxface.

I knew it might happen but I believe the wrasse has had my peppermint shrimp and boxing crab for dinner. I know th peppermint is gone because I always saw him out an about but not anymore. I will hold out hope for the boxing crab because he disappears for a month at a time then suddenly pops up, but.........

I am kind of glad the peppermint is gone. I believe he actually ripped apart my bluespot jawfishes tail and it died. Then I replaced it with a pearly jaw and the same thing happened.

Oh well stuff happens I guess. I may, when the foxface goes back to the LFS, try another jawfish to see what happens.

Just a little update.

post-25698-1235054094_thumb.jpg

You've got some nice fish in there.

Is the Mystery Wrasse worth all the trouble?

I've heard of them giving shrimp trouble, but I had never heard of them being aggressive towards other fish.

Last time I went to the LFS, hubby saw some Black Ocellaris that he really liked, so who knows, we may end up with some at some point.

That LFS was recently bought by a place that raises tank-bred fish, so we should be having good access to nice tank-raised clowns and stuff in the future.

It was interesting to see the difference in those bulbs.

I had actually been surprised to see the more yellow tone in your later pics, but the old bulb explains it.

That's the one bad thing about 20k MH bulbs, the blue just wears out so quickly.

I know a lot of people really like the 20K Radiums though, and pics I've seen under them ARE nice.

Nice to see you around Bud. :happy:

Thanx weets. The Mystery Wrasse is really a very docile fish. No problems with him other that the missing peppermint and potentially the boxing crab. I do like it a lot though and knowing what I know now I would do the same thing over, he is such a cool addition.

thank you everyone. I am sure that my Mystery Wrasse had both a peppermint shrimp and boxer crab dinner one night as I have seen neither or them since getting the wrasse. Is a bummer but I still love him. He brings nice color and movement to the tank.

thank you everyone. I am sure that my Mystery Wrasse had both a peppermint shrimp and boxer crab dinner one night as I have seen neither or them since getting the wrasse. Is a bummer but I still love him. He brings nice color and movement to the tank.

Sorry to hear that Henry. Can't blame a Mystery Wrasse for having expensive tastes :)

Took the Foxface out and back to the LFS for credit. Had to do a little rearranging of rocks to get it out. Fish inhabitants now are:

2 Black Occelaris Amphiprion occelaris

1 Mystery Wrasse Pseudocheilinus ocellatus

1 Tail Spot Blenny Ecsenius stigmatura

I will be getting a Pearly Jawfish Opistognathus aurifrons this week sometime.

Some new pictures

New Jawfish House, I hope he likes it.

1jawfishhouse.jpg

FTS

1fts4.jpg

Can you Spot the Tail Spot?

1tshiding.jpg

1birds.jpg

1random2.jpg

1frog-2.jpg

1random3.jpg

1acans-1.jpg

1random.jpg

how did you make your screen? How big are the holes for the screen? Smaller the egg crates? Please give us more details..

The screen is made from 3/8" pond netting from the pond supply store. I think Lowes and Home Depot also carry it though. The fram is also available from Lowes and is plastic, has a slot in it like a regular window scree where you force the rubber spline in to hold the netting.

The screen is made from 3/8" pond netting from the pond supply store. I think Lowes and Home Depot also carry it though. The fram is also available from Lowes and is plastic, has a slot in it like a regular window scree where you force the rubber spline in to hold the netting.

will the net melt under mh?

My 150 watt Sunpod has not melted it.

What is the screen made out of? Plastic? Will I be able to find these screens at homedepot or lowes?

Here is an update on the screen top. It does not prevent Pearly Jawfish Opistognathus aurifrons from carpet surfing and becomming fish jerky. So I had built an acrylic top a while ago and am going back to it. I have drilled about 30 or so 5/16" holes in it for gas exchange and heat dissipation. I know this will keep my next jawfish in the tank the question will be about temperature.

Here is an old picture of it before I put the holes in last night.

accessopen.jpg

newtop11nov07-1.jpg

Spanko,

Did you make the acrylic top yourself? I'd like to have one similar....

Yes I did. Went to Laird plastics and bought a pc. of 1/4" acrylic and two acrylic hinges. Then went to Lowes and bought a carbide grit saber saw blade, like this b2543077.gif

and made the top.

What did it run you? .. if you don't mind me asking...

In the $35 range for the materials and the blades (bought 2, did not need 2)

I want

01blenny.jpg

I have -1

1random2.jpg

I want

1jawfishhouse.jpg

Ha! The blenny is the greatest.

The pipe end is now covered with a pc. of barancle shell. Looks cool. When I get this top thing finished then it's time for a new jawfish. Hope he likes this house gig I have created for him!!

I know that Stevie posted first, but if you ever need anyone to Blenny-sit, just bring him over...I'd be happy to keep....errrrrr...I mean watch him for you. Besides, I live closer to you than Steve does. :P