Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Firefish 14BC

firefish CR

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
firefish CR
Looks awesome, is the skimmer the only filtration your using besides the bag?

thanks

about filtration ... i had a DIY tray with a square of polyfilter and some filterfloss in middle chamber besides a carbon bag (sometimes chemipure elite ... sometimes cheap carbon :P ) but now with the fuge i put biocube plate again, take out filter floss for now and move the bag of activated carbon to first chamber also i have a puringen bag instead the blue sponge in that chamber

i am having problems with green and hair algae, i was using my brother RO/DI unit to make WC water, but it is so old and all cartridges need to be replaced, its like use tap water....so i buy API Tap Water Filter ...

it this one

API Tap Water Filter

Do you have any pictures of the DIY tray? I am trying to get ideas for a new media tray. I tried StevieT's but it didn't seem to work very well for me. Algae slime build up in the back. Works well if you want to force water through the media. I want something with layers for chaeto, chemipure, and filter floss.

Let me know if you have some pics.

Thanks

Jon

firefish CR
Do you have any pictures of the DIY tray? I am trying to get ideas for a new media tray. I tried StevieT's but it didn't seem to work very well for me. Algae slime build up in the back. Works well if you want to force water through the media. I want something with layers for chaeto, chemipure, and filter floss.

Let me know if you have some pics.

Thanks

Jon

sure

it just hang up in the false wall, i put a little square of polyfilter and some filter floss on it

this an old picture, but you can see it working

hpim3502pq9.jpg

Shot with HP PhotoSmart R607 (V01.00) at 2009-02-11

i take it out for now, but i want to keep it, who knows later :lol:

hpim3570.jpg

Shot with HP PhotoSmart R607 (V01.00) at 2009-04-05

edit: one time i put a bag of purigen in this media tray and worked well

i think you can do a try like that to use filter media and put the chateo in false floor in the secon chamber (better flow and light for the chateo)

and FTS :lol::lol::P

hpim3573.jpg

sure

it just hang up in the false wall, i put a little square of polyfilter and some filter floss on it

this an old picture, but you can see it working

hpim3502pq9.jpg

Shot with HP PhotoSmart R607 (V01.00) at 2009-02-11

i take it out for now, but i want to keep it, who knows later :lol:

hpim3570.jpg

edit: one time i put a bag of purigen in this media tray and worked well

i think you can do a try like that to use filter media and put the chateo in false floor in the secon chamber (better flow and light for the chateo)

and FTS :lol::lol::P

hpim3573.jpg

I was thinking about making something like that but it would hang on the false wall between 1&2 and the hang on the false wall between 2&3. I want to be able to but chemipure and filter floss on top. Then for the rest of chamber 2 it will be chaeto, purigen on the bottom grate, and charcoal filter pad at bottom to keep chaeto in. I will keep the false floor.

I have never worked with acrylic. Is it easy to work with? Fairly cheap?

I also have a chiller with the pump in chamber 1 and the return in chamber 2. Do you think its best to rig this up a different way since the media basket might get in the way?

Thanks for your help.

Jon

inside... caulerpa serrulata ( is the best algae tahat i can get here in Costa Rica)

I have heard that caulerpa is actually much better at removing nitrates then cheato. The reason many people don't use Caulerpa is because it is illegal in California, and has the possibility of going asexual in the home aquarium.

I have heard that caulerpa is actually much better at removing nitrates then cheato. The reason many people don't use Caulerpa is because it is illegal in California, and has the possibility of going asexual in the home aquarium.

Well that is a problem because I live in California...

firefish CR
I was thinking about making something like that but it would hang on the false wall between 1&2 and the hang on the false wall between 2&3. I want to be able to but chemipure and filter floss on top. Then for the rest of chamber 2 it will be chaeto, purigen on the bottom grate, and charcoal filter pad at bottom to keep chaeto in. I will keep the false floor.

I have never worked with acrylic. Is it easy to work with? Fairly cheap?

I also have a chiller with the pump in chamber 1 and the return in chamber 2. Do you think its best to rig this up a different way since the media basket might get in the way?

Thanks for your help.

Jon

i think that you wanna do a tray like stock BC plate , but in a lower position to put some filter media in there and let the water through the media

it's easy work with acrylic, you can use any tool that cut wood, saw, drill. etc

there are another way to cut acrylic, it is like cut glass, you mark the piece with a special tool (like a cutter) and press the piece on the mark to break it, it's more clean but more difficult

you can use silicon to join the pieces, in the acrylic store they sell some kind of acrylic glue ...never knew really what it was, maybe Methyl ethyl keytone, but it gives a better finish, about price a 1/8 thickness 24"*24" acrylic square cost me like $10 ... but i live in another country ...prices may vary :lol::lol:

I was looking for chateo everywhere with no lucky, it's almost impossible get it here, so caulerpa was the next best option, i am running lights 24/7 to avoid it getting sexual, hope so

i think that you wanna do a tray like stock BC plate , but in a lower position to put some filter media in there and let the water through the media

it's easy work with acrylic, you can use any tool that cut wood, saw, drill. etc

there are another way to cut acrylic, it is like cut glass, you mark the piece with a special tool (like a cutter) and press the piece on the mark to break it, it's more clean but more difficult

you can use silicon to join the pieces, in the acrylic store they sell some kind of acrylic glue ...never knew really what it was, maybe Methyl ethyl keytone, but it gives a better finish, about price a 1/8 thickness 24"*24" acrylic square cost me like $10 ... but i live in another country ...prices may vary :lol::lol:

I was looking for chateo everywhere with no lucky, it's almost impossible get it here, so caulerpa was the next best option, i am running lights 24/7 to avoid it getting sexual, hope so

Well thanks for the info I'll see what I can come up with.

firefish CR
Looks great!

hi maria

sorry!!! I didn't see your post :o:o

thanks B)B) ... i wanna add more rics, and a hammer, but i want to wait until candy get better

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
firefish CR

new hammer

hpim3589.jpg

Shot with PhotoSmart R607 (V01.00)d at 2009-05-22

more pics

gorgonea

hpim3594.jpg

little palitoa

hpim3591l.jpg

rics

hpim3596.jpg

cleaning fuge (nice roots):lol::lol:

dsc00064j.jpg

Shot with K550i at 2009-05-20

FTS

hpim3595.jpg

:happy:

Beautiful little tank... Its looks very natural.

On a side note, Costa Rica is probably my favorite country to visit- I've been there 3 times in the past 2 years!

• 3 weeks later...
firefish CR
Beautiful little tank... Its looks very natural.

On a side note, Costa Rica is probably my favorite country to visit- I've been there 3 times in the past 2 years!

hi

thanks ADAreef :happy:

i live in san jose, where was you in your last visit?

i have a new blue green chromis :lol::lol:

hpim3609.jpg

Shot with PhotoSmart R607 (V01.00)+ at 2009-06-10

hpim3608.jpg

hpim3604.jpg

firefish CR
Wow! the tank is filling in nicely :D Looks great Tico!

hola maria!!! :happy:

thanks, i hope i can add more the next month

there are DIY led movement here at Nano-Reef

i wanna try my own led retrofit but I am afraid that something goes wrong

i have weeks thinking about :wacko::wacko:

sorry about the fish :(

flat worm exit works great :) or a small sixline wrasse

Mixed reviews on both of them all over the place...........

Nice growth in that tank. If you go with the flatworm exit, make sure to siphon out as many flatworms beforehand to limit dieoff.

Archived