Innovative Marine Aquariums

What's with my Green Star Polyps

StuGotz

So most, if not all of you know that my first coral order was via GARF.  I'm really happy with my frags, BUT what's with my green star polyps.  it's been over a week and only up to 2 or 3 polyps have peeked out.  What factors cause this to happen.  Are they usually more picky about ammonia or anything?  pH? Temp? Any info can help.  

Christopher Marks

I've seen star polyps take up to two weeks to fully open.  Just give them some more time to adjust.  Maybe position them somewhere else in the aquarium?  I have mine in a moderate flow area and they do well.  Also remember that they are a low light coral, so keep the at the bottom of your aquarium.

I'm looking at them now.. and a total of 4 polyps have peaked out.. so yah.. TIME... man.. i hope this new hobby of mine will make me a more Patient person...  PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE I HAVE YET TO ACQUIRE :freak5:

Green polyps are COOL :)

Honestly, I love the little fellas, they put the icing on the cake when it comes to a "fill-in coral". They look amazing when the grow into lowlight crevices and the actinics are on.

Place them in a decent flow area in lower lighting, they sometimes take weeks to open when newly introduced, They need high flow otherwise algae will overgrow the skeleton and harm them.

• 2 weeks later...

I had noticed you guys said "Low lighting" on the polyps several times. roughly what would be a "low lighting" condition? 2 watts per gallon 3? and the lowest recomended WPG for polyps?

Lower lighting, would be around 2 watts or so p/g I dont really like that general rule. It doesnt work well with nanos or even larger tanks for that matter. Green star polyps will thrive anywhere really, its just a matter of letting them adjust. I have them growing in almost no light whatsoever to full blast 160 watts 4 inches below the bulbs. When first introducing them I would place them in higher flow and a somewhat shaded area, as they adjust and begin opening then you can acclimate them to almost any type of lighting.

• 1 month later...
sergentmajor

try omega-3 mixed with algae Nannochloropsis, Tetraselmis, Isochrysis. with a dosage for 8weeks twice a day...this will stimulate the Zooxantelle by making the polips open of your invert!  Bye bye to all the members

La vita è molto bella!

• 1 month later...

I'm glad I bought my Green metallic star polyps from a established LFS tank..

I put them in there, they hid for a day and now are fully out and eating...

I made sure to put mine in a spot where there's lots of flow, but also that the flow its in get's lots of particals, basically I put it at the top of the rocks to besure it got light and flow..

green.stars.jpg

(Edited by KoAps at 3:31 pm on Mar. 4, 2002)

Archived