Cultivated Reef

(Ab)Normal Harley Behavior?

revaltion131

revaltion131

Title says it all, pretty much. For the first month and a half or so, he kept it in one place, and everything seemed fine, it still does, with the exception of continual moving. Now, let me clarify. I'm not concerned with him roving around when he's finished a star; this movement is with the star. For the past couple of weeks, he has moved his 'lair' several times during the course of feeding on the star. It had just been once every couple of days, now it's multiple times in a single day. He is feeding and the star is definitly getting visibly munched. I doubt it matters much, but I have seen two molts from the shrimp. However, I don't think he's moving to protect himself during a molt, given the patterns of movement. Before I get any further, here are the water conditions and full list of mobile tankmates.

Amm, 'trites, and 'trates are all 0.

Phosphates = 0

Alk (test gives buffering capacity) 300 ppm. The test says that it's a touch high, but it's been stable since I started testing it months ago.

pH = 8.4

Calc = 440

SG = 1.026

Fish: 2 Neon Gobies, 1 Ocellaris (don't believe it's sexually matured yet), 1 Cherub Pygmy, and 1 male Pylei Fairy

Inverts: the Harley, 1 Emerald Crab, 3 Scarlet Reef Hermits, ~10 Blue Legs, 4 Astrea, ~10 Cerith, ~10 Margarita, 10 Nass

I have not seen any visible aggression from the fish, but the wrasse sleeps under what still seems to be the Harley's favorite spot. It may be possible that the fish's mucus shell is bothering the shrimp at night. The pygmy swims around everywhere in the tank, and I have seen the shrimp take a swing at it before, as well as start waving his 'paddles' around and gesturing if the angel comes too close. The clown is never anywhere near where the shrimp likes to stay, and the gobies seem to get zero attention from the shrimp. Lastly, there are no corals nearby that I could see bothering him, especially since he often drags his star right over several of the mushrooms, the GSP, the acan, and around the BN in my tank when he's in the process of taking it to his favorite spot.

Am I worrying over nothing, or is there a legitimate issue here?

revaltion131

Anyone have any input? I am concerned about the little guy, as I can't seem to dig up any information and I know they aren't exactly bomb-proof.

Archived