Top Shelf Aquatics

Micro-Small Algae Remover System for Nano's: Free!

SantaMonica

I'm a prophet.

This has become a commercial thread. Soon he'll be offering lights as well.

I feel bad for people who get suckered in by him and I hope that other forums came down on him like we did here.

Maybe now the mods/Chris will lock the thread since he's not a sponsor? fingerscrossed

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so this IS a commercial post? You can't be charging tax unless you're a business

I cut that out of his thread over at scrubbers.com or whatever he calls it. Sneakily, he omitted that from his post when he cut and pasted it here.

I, like many here, have found this thread utterly distasteful from the start. The bastardization of science is one thing, but the refusal to enter into any dialogue is worse. At no point has he offered anything to the community here.

It's one thing to develop business through an online community, look at Stevie and evil. They have made no secret of what they are doing, entered into dialogue and contributed financially to the site. SantaMonica has done the exact opposite of this, pretending his solution was free advice and stone walling any criticism. I felt obliged to post the pricing just to show what we already suspected this free offering really was. On his own site, the threads are now openly commercial.

To anybody who wants an ATS, please build your own. A charlatan like SantaMonica doesn't deserve your hard earned cash.

I'm a prophet.

I feel bad for people who get suckered in by him and I hope that other forums came down on him like we did here.

Maybe now the mods/Chris will lock the thread since he's not a sponsor? fingerscrossed

lol ... I know at least 10 people off the top of my head that did get suckered by him ... Believed every word ... and proceeded to criticize and destroy all of those that used a skimmer, saying how all of our money was wasted. It's easy to say ... all of those that did follow him ... their tanks still suck.

Hmm, I use a algae screen on my tank, and I think it is helpful, I do notice zero parameters too, plus my fish enjoy the pods off the screen. I'm not against skimmers or fuges or macro algae, but don't use them yet. I am inclined to reevaluate my approach in light of this thread.

I never got into reading all of santamonicas explanations and quotes and the like, but now that he's selling that box of his, I think i'm gonna agree with you all. anyone selling cheato?

. anyone selling cheato?

sell cheato? you can sell it? :mellow: i use to take a 5 gal bucket full to the fish store just to get rid of it....

sell cheato? you can sell it? :mellow: i use to take a 5 gal bucket full to the fish store just to get rid of it....

:o 2 the LFS by me don't carry it ever, and one I went to bout a half hour away didn't have any either, but they were selling something similar for bout 20 a handful... :( a friend promised me some a while back, think I should remind him ;)

Interesting, that was 219 seconds to clean the screen (and a mess in the sink) and it seemed like a PITA including cutting and reinstalling a zip tie (or two if you can't round up a big enough one to fit)

Seems like a lot of work per week when a refugium would be -- reach in pull out some cheato and done. What would that take 15 seconds.

And really how much better would a turf screen work compared to a large ball of cheato (both are basically using the same principle.) Santa Monica have you done that comparison.

I'm trying to keep an open mind but it's hard at times like this.

they have some tanks on that scrubber forum that are running both. SM believed at the time that the chaeto would starve in die. instead it is growing well and the screen is slow...must not be rough like a cactus.

they have some tanks on that scrubber forum that are running both. SM believed at the time that the chaeto would starve in die. instead it is growing well and the screen is slow...must not be rough like a cactus.

I was wondering if he tried to setup a test to see how well a scrubber worked compared to cheato. Not sure how one would setup that test but that was more what I was asking.

If both are in the system wouldn't the cheato be competing for nutrients with the turf algae so naturally both would not grow as fast as if they were in a system alone.

Here's a test. Someone would have to set up two identical tanks (or as close to) one with chaeto refugium and the other with this system. age them as equally as possible. Harvest the chaeto at the same time you clean the screens on test day, dessicate the plant mass and weigh them. The heavier wins. simple but at least a real guesstimate of which biosystem captures and holds the most nitrogen/P

somehow you'd have to calibrate the beginning mass of chaeto + new growth against the total amount of slime algaes harvested off the screen after a matured test

my vote is not for chaeto, a slow grower, just a guess. I use it for oxygenation, not total binding. I liked caulerpas for total binding/waste export but picking it out of the main display got to be a hassle. chaeto a slow biomasser to me/ the natural algae mats that form on screens or unkept areas of an aged tank are faster primary producers in my observation, but we need a weight measurement to really guesstimate Id think. Same for mangroves. Unless you have a real mangrove bush with 6 ft runners and a root matrix, or multiple single stalks all putting on visible leaf/axial biomass, it ain't pullin much out of a tank compared to our export needs but it sure looks great and who will debate a plant growing in sw isn't the best...

whether one wants to keep any green algae in their tanks at all is a matter of modality. Since it's not required to be successful, I've always seen the ATS method as one of many that works and you simply adjust the maintenance habits around a chosen system. each has its pros and cons.

I have both chaeto and a 12x8'' ATS and it seems the ATS has a lot more growth than the chaeto. I usually have to clean it every 2 weeks. The ATS works really well, i don't have to scrap my glass hardly at all.

I have both chaeto and a 12x8'' ATS and it seems the ATS has a lot more growth than the chaeto. I usually have to clean it every 2 weeks. The ATS works really well, i don't have to scrap my glass hardly at all.

If I understand correctly... your compairing two completely different types of algae. You are basically saying OMG MY PINE TREE IS GROWING BIGGER THAN THIS ROSE BUSH!!!!!11

Skadwick I see what you mean maybe I could clarify. I am saying that both plants, in all their differences are still made of the same materials we want exported or in this case bound and insoluble. items such as nitrogen, phosphate etc. regardless of the phylogenetic differences in plants it just seemed generally that those with the most measurable, non water biomass took up the most nutrients.

this may not work but it's where Id start. that along with direct observations like a reduction in glass scraping. Still so many variables at work it's hard to pinpoint a fix-all system for any reef design. theres enough positive witness from people I have known on boards for a very long time to convince me santa monica's reframing of the old Adey ATS system into modern reef applications was a centerpoint for a lot of collective genius on the matter. those guys who tested his system and built trash can refugiums was really a neat result of the promotion work he's done in getting it out there, and the willingness to post back up the outcomes. overall a great thing in my opinion

B

Ok here is a finished version:

100-all-07.jpg

100-all-08.jpg

Lid on:

100-all-06.jpg

Lid off:

100-all-10.jpg

100-all-13.jpg

100-all-14.jpg

100-all-15.jpg

100-all-16.jpg