Cultivated Reef

Micro-Small Algae Remover System for Nano's: Free!

SantaMonica

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok here is a finished version:

100-all-07.jpg

100-all-08.jpg

Lid on:

100-all-06.jpg

Lid off:

100-all-10.jpg

100-all-13.jpg

100-all-14.jpg

100-all-15.jpg

100-all-16.jpg

100-all-18.jpg

100-all-27.jpg

100-all-28.jpg

100-all-26.jpg

100-all-23.jpg

100-all-24.jpg

100-all-25.jpg

100-all-30.jpg

100-all-31.jpg

Video:

Well it looks like somebody spent some time making a nice looking unit. A good bit of thought went into this and for that I give a thumbs up. Will it work ?? I guess we will see as Santa Monica will defiantly let us know in the future :P

A large concern would be 4 bulbs replaced every 3 months. That amounts to $32 + shipping every 3 months. eeeekkkkkk --- I think LED's would have done the same thing. Initial cost might have been higher to get enough of them to sufficiently light it but with no replacement costs you would have saved money in the long run. Not to mention the pain in the rear having to order replacement bulbs every 3 months.

if you dont change bulbs, he cant profit. please think of the profits!

Sorry I forgot about that -- my bad :o

What was I thinking --- a system that might work better for the end user. ;)

maybe itd work. but man youre using a lot of energy for this. you could prop something in a fug with that much light. this method is turning out to be everything but what was promised

Several updates:

6. I keep hearing "Yes, skimmers DO remove nitrate and phosphate! They just do it by removing organics BEFORE they break down into nitrates and phosphates". That's just great. Organics, before they "break down", are called FOOD. Yes, FOOD. So yes, skimmers DO remove FOOD (i.e, "protein"). But saying that removing FOOD is the same as removing nitrates and phosphates is like saying removing BEER, before you drink it, is the same as removing the pee after you drink it. Wouldn't you rather have the beer, and then remove the pee? Skimmers remove the food that you put in the tank. Scrubbers remove the "pee" after the tank eats the food.

cyclop-eeze vs. skimmate - oh I get that there is poo in the wild, but we can do better SM. We have Argent and Rods Food, no need to for scraps that are too small anyway. What coral is catching skimmate? Why not just say that a scrubber and a skimmer are the best of both worlds? Or that a scrubber is a refugium substitute? eh...you decide NR, I am waiting for the video of SM feeding his coral skimmate. :) I am joshing you, but come on man....I will give you as much as to say the protein content of skimmate is exceptional.

It isnt removing the beer before you drink it if you use a skimmer...it is serving beer, and flushing "the pee" when you use a skimmer. Your way is to serve beer, and then serve the pee for days on end with it accumulating until it finally breaks down into nutrients that can then be removed with the ATS. Skimmers reduce the workload on ATS systems.....your argument is still the same, please read fosi from page 5 until he gave up.

That actually looks fairly well made, if only this was something useful....

It does, I just wonder if it will go under the tank? Weird to have the fans open if it is on the floor...does it stand mount?? it is definitely nice though.

... please read fosi from page 5 until he gave up.

I didn't give up, John. :lol: There's just nothing more to say at this point.

People have addressed his incorrect, dishonest, contradictory and misleading statements. All useful arguments have been put forth. He + his followers have so far failed to respond in any intelligent way.

At this point, the cheese stands alone.

yeah fosi but he pulled a caesar777 and overwhelmed any common sense with sheer post numbers. A lot of people out there are starting to believe this is the next step in the game

I think this is hilarious. Everyone has been goin on about this for like 2 years. 7 years ago I woulda looked at this and gone, "This is stupid and ancient." I still dont know/remember much about filtration but I know from looking at it and skimming his long winded wall-o-texts that it is a gimmick. I hear they are lookin for a replacement for Billy Mays....BUT WAIT THERES MORE!

Changing the lights every 3 months? WTFBBQZOMFGROFLMAO! omgomgomg Seriously? Really? On top of all the wattage it takes to keep a tank up and running (even nanos) WHY would you want to add to that, when in reality you can go to wallyworld or wherever, buy a all the supplies for a DIY fuge for under 15$(not including your return pump) which has more of a footprint, customizeability(hur hur) and more of a benefit than this?

Im...just...amazed really that he has been beating this dead horse with a stick for this long...any hide left on it? After like page 2 I woulda cut my losses, saved my face, and moved on...

100-all-07.jpg

SantaMonica, you must be loaded if you're giving those out for free. Do you also cover the electricity?

Joking aside. Whilst nobody will dispute that algae cultivation and harvesting is a useful method of nitrate removal, aren't there much cleaner ways to implement this? This is only suitable for an inwall tank or for sitting above a larger sump. Nicely made as it looks, I still wouldn't want to hang it on my living room wall.

I like this one more. Sump return pumps into a trough containing a screen running across the back of the aquarium.

Gobieggs017.jpg

This is on Paul B's 40 odd year old tank over on reefcentral.

Doesn't spoil the main display either.

PaulBFTS.jpg

By the way, this tank also runs a skimmer.

EDIT: This is free apparently.

o Acrylic box alone: Asking $289 plus shipping (plus tax if in California).

Prices complete, not including pump or supply/drain plumbing.

With lights: $649 USD plus shipping (shipping is 3 boxes), (plus tax if in California)

Without lights: $489 USD plus shipping (plus tax if in California)

Could set up a large sump with a good skimmer and a large refugium with a high pressure sodium light for less than that.

Ah ha......ah heh.......AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! :haha:

My total setup is only like 200$ more than that POS!

edit: Block, I dont get your joke. (IZ SLO)

Ah ha......ah heh.......AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! :haha:

My total setup is only like 200$ more than that POS!

edit: Block, I dont get your joke. (IZ SLO)

no joke, im being serious, skimmers dont work, those links are just examples

and since the skimmer industry hasnt sent me any cash yet, im hoping if i side with santa monica that he will pay me to run a ATS system hes selling

no joke, im being serious, skimmers dont work, those links are just examples

and since the skimmer industry hasnt sent me any cash yet, im hoping if i side with santa monica that he will pay me to run a ATS system hes selling

Funny post ... you think if we jump on board for the ATS system ... we will receive a nice check in the mail every month?

Someone on my local site decided to trash everyone using RO Units and skimmers were a complete waste of money ... then he posted a picture of his ugly a$$ tank ... he only "occasionally gets an out break of GHA."

Someone on my local site decided to trash everyone using RO Units and skimmers were a complete waste of money ... then he posted a picture of his ugly a$$ tank ... he only "occasionally gets an out break of GHA."

His ATS is so successful he can even keep his fish in it.

Prices complete, not including pump or supply/drain plumbing.

With lights: $649 USD plus shipping (shipping is 3 boxes), (plus tax if in California)

Without lights: $489 USD plus shipping (plus tax if in California)

Could set up a large sump with a good skimmer and a large refugium with a high pressure sodium light for less than that.

so this IS a commercial post? You can't be charging tax unless you're a business

Archived