Coral Vue Hydros

Feather Duster Care?

Son Of Skyline

Son Of Skyline

I turned on the lights (weak lights...just temporary) today and out of my new live rock popped 9 feather dusters and counting! Not to mention all the other strange wiggling antennaes and bugs that came out! Should I be feeding these critters? If so, how and what? TIA!

When you get fish no. It is not necessary to feed them. Before that yes it is necessary to feed them. the reason is when you feed the fish small particles will stay in the water and the duster can filter feed from left overs. Before that they do need to be fed and since this is a reef you don't want to over feed the feather dusters. (It can cause a nightmare with nitrate)

hth

(Edited by Daniel at 5:39 pm on Nov. 20, 2001)

Son Of Skyline
Quote: from Daniel on 2:38 pm on Nov. 20, 2001[br]When you get fish no. It is not necessary to feed them. Before that yes it is necessary to feed them. the reason is when you feed the fish small particles will stay in the water and the duster can filter feed from left overs. Before that they do need to be fed and since this is a reef you don't want to over feed the feather dusters. (It can cause a nightmare with nitrate)

hth

Hmmm...In that case I think I'll get my first fish tomorrow!

when they are really small, feather dusters can derive their nutritional requirements from small platonic creatures that come from the live rock, but i would not count on this as your soul source of feeding. after you get fish they will be ok though.

Quote: from Richard Roulx on 10:58 pm on Nov. 22, 2001[br]what about brine shrimps as a source of food? or even better, rotifers?

with a new tank ther will not be enough copods or rotifers and brybe aer too big unless you want to hatvh out bbs 2 times a week and then there isnt much nutritional value in bbs.

• 2 weeks later...

9 and counting thats great :) i have some on a number of my lr only one is of good size (only about one inch tall)

i do have fish in my tank i have never feed them but i do have good water movement my tanks is about 3mth old

if you want a fish to put in try a scooter blenny there very compatible with all fish if you chose to put others in later and very hardy fish(and cute to :)  )

buy a Shrimp and some flake food

the shrimp will eat the large chunks and the fine power on the flakes will go into the water and feed the feather duster...

at least that is my system plus I add in mircovert now cause of the corals

Archived