inTank Media Baskets

[New Pics 10/24] Bonsai's LED BioCube [29g] Journal - Home Tank

Bonsai

Thanks!

When you did the upgrade (I read your thread before upgrading mine) -- did you end up losing anything? Did you add additional rock? Did you see any sort of cycle?

Jason

nope! I didn't lose anything. Well except for some micro algea, for some reason it didn't do well once i switched over. I think it had something to do with the lighting as i had an upgrade on the 14g from nanotuners.

I just recently added completely cycled cured rock from one of the LFS out here that someone recommended. I made sure it wasn't going to spike the the levels and got it in the tank ASAP after i bought it. If there was a cycle, I didn't see it. I haven't had any problems. I added about 15lbs worth over a couple weeks. The majority of it, 10lbs worth, was all at once.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nope! I didn't lose anything. Well except for some micro algea, for some reason it didn't do well once i switched over. I think it had something to do with the lighting as i had an upgrade on the 14g from nanotuners.

I just recently added completely cycled cured rock from one of the LFS out here that someone recommended. I made sure it wasn't going to spike the the levels and got it in the tank ASAP after i bought it. If there was a cycle, I didn't see it. I haven't had any problems. I added about 15lbs worth over a couple weeks. The majority of it, 10lbs worth, was all at once.

That's great to hear. I was concerned that by moving the tank without cycling it I would run into problems ... but I'm 4 days into it and nothing of major concern yet :D

awesome!! can't wait till everything starts settling in and spreading out! so much room for growth, it's gonna be great! ;)

ps. i think you should "accidentally" send me some of those ricordias!! they're beautiful!

I have a nice fat credit from my LFS, so I stopped in yesterday and picked up a new fish for the tank. Behold, the grumpiest looking purple creature alive:

firefishze3.jpg

That's our new Purple Firefish Goby. I want to pick up a frag of Pom Pom Xenia also this week ... I have a lot of room to fill in :)

That little guy does look mean. He's probably gonna require some frozen squid with that look on his face. I'm just kidding haha. Nice addition though. I thought about one for my nano but since I'm going to be having an open top I might not put one in my tank.

That little guy does look mean. He's probably gonna require some frozen squid with that look on his face. I'm just kidding haha. Nice addition though. I thought about one for my nano but since I'm going to be having an open top I might not put one in my tank.

LoL - he ate up the frozen mysis like mad. He's been pretty reclusive these first couple days, but I think he'll come around.

I did install a jump guard on the back of my BioCube so the fish (clowns included) couldn't jump into the back chambers.

Jason

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up a few new bits of coral tonight -- some photos aren't that great.

A Ricordea to add to my collection

new001yz5.jpg

Favia

new002yt0.jpg

Fungia ... who's not quite happy yet :)

new003zm3.jpg

Just a couple bright green 'shroms

new004sk3.jpg

Okay - so I made a little bit of a fish switch in this tank. I removed the single Ocellaris clown fish (he moved to my office BioCube) and replaced him with a pair of smaller Ocellaris clown fish.

I also got my hands on an Banggai Cardinal Fish, who's still shy at the moment :)

clownpairro5.jpg

cardinalfishok4.jpg

A little test to see how SPS (Bird's Nest) does in a BC29 with Stock Lighting. Placed near the top of the tank, maybe 5" from the PC lighting ... in front of the Hydor Flo connected to the pumps output.

Wish my luck!

birdsnestwu0.jpg

Are you going to keep stock lighting?

Are you considering a metal halide?

Everything is doing great under stock lighting, so no, I'm not considering MH. :)

That birds nest should do fine towards the top of the tank with stock lighting. I'm getting a MH on my tank soon but not sure what type of sps corals I want.

That birds nest should do fine towards the top of the tank with stock lighting. I'm getting a MH on my tank soon but not sure what type of sps corals I want.

That's what I'm hoping for :) The frag I have is sort of interesting. I don't know much about SPS, obviously, but if you look at the Birds Nest photo above, the branch that is in "front" doesn't have the dark purple polyps that the rest of the frag does.

It actually appears that the polyps on those branches are white-ish. What does that mean exactly?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived