Coral Vue Hydros

[New Pics 10/24] Bonsai's LED BioCube [29g] Journal - Home Tank

Bonsai

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tank looks fantastic Bonsai!! Ugh i look at yours and i want to go home and clean my tank!!! haha

on a side note, I love the look of that barnacle in the display. I know it's more for the jawfish than a decoration but it has such a unique look to it. I went to school for illustration and i did a still life drawing with a giant cluster of barnacles like that. Made me appreciate how intricate those shells are. Beautiful!

Good work on everything, I give you an A!

Tank looks fantastic Bonsai!! Ugh i look at yours and i want to go home and clean my tank!!! haha

on a side note, I love the look of that barnacle in the display. I know it's more for the jawfish than a decoration but it has such a unique look to it. I went to school for illustration and i did a still life drawing with a giant cluster of barnacles like that. Made me appreciate how intricate those shells are. Beautiful!

Good work on everything, I give you an A!

Thanks! I'm obsessive about keeping the glass on the display clean ... its a crazy pet peeve I guess. :)

I like the barnacle in the middle of the tank too. I didn't know how much I'd like the looks of it when I first built the jawfish condo, but I've really come to enjoy it - and the fish loves it!

How do you clean around the curve of the bc29? I see the ma float (at least the one I have) does not clean the curves well at all.

How do you clean around the curve of the bc29? I see the ma float (at least the one I have) does not clean the curves well at all.

49505300.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
Looks amazing!

Thanks! Ever since I set the tank up, I've felt it lacks height in the live rock near the back of the tank. I picked up two more pieces of cured live rock today, a total of only 3lbs, and I'm currently working on getting it just right ... more photos to come when I'm happy with it :)

• 2 weeks later...

New Ricordea Florida for this tank ... something interesting going on around the mouths on the right polyp that I've never seen before. Once it splits off, things will look even better.

newric.jpg

demonclownfish

hi i live in ortonville, dont know if you know where that is but it is about 20mins from auburn hills. i also have the 29 biocube and it i retty great. do you still have the stock lighting? if so how is the dendro doing because i have really wanted one for a while. also just a reccomendation here that you should check out moby dicks pet store in waterford one day. a very nice place with knowledgable and great staff. and their livestock is really great selection.

Godsmack00

Your tank looks great! Is all the growth with the zoas under the stock lighting? Also, is your GSP growing on the sand? That stuff can/does take off like wildfire.

hi i live in ortonville, dont know if you know where that is but it is about 20mins from auburn hills. i also have the 29 biocube and it i retty great. do you still have the stock lighting? if so how is the dendro doing because i have really wanted one for a while. also just a reccomendation here that you should check out moby dicks pet store in waterford one day. a very nice place with knowledgable and great staff. and their livestock is really great selection.

Hi demonclownfish - I do have Stock Lighting. I change the PC Bulbs every 8 months, and I'm currently using JBJ Bulbs rather than the Coralife bulbs. I can't tell a huge difference ... when I purchase the next set of bulbs, I'll probably try Nano Custom's brand.

The Dendro is doing fine - dendros aren't photosynthetic, so they don't require a lot of light, they need to be fed a few times a week though. I feed mine frozen mysis shrimp using a turkey baster. I have two sets of dendros, one is a single large polyp and the other has three small heads.

Your tank looks great! Is all the growth with the zoas under the stock lighting? Also, is your GSP growing on the sand? That stuff can/does take off like wildfire.

My GSP has been growing on my sand bed for about 16 months or so ... but recently, due to my neglect, it grabbed onto the rock directly behind it. That rock is isolated from the rest of the tank, so it isn't a huge deal if the GSP takes it over. I kind of like the look of a GSP covered rock, so I'll probably frag apart the rest of the stuff in the sand and sell it off and keep the GSP rock. :)

• 2 weeks later...

So I was able to pick up an extra BC29 hood from a fellow reefer ... is it time for a LED Upgrade?

I ordered the heat sink and LEDs (12 White, 12 Blue).

Stay tuned!

So I was able to pick up an extra BC29 hood from a fellow reefer ... is it time for a LED Upgrade?

I ordered the heat sink and LEDs (12 White, 12 Blue).

Stay tuned!

I'm considering the same lighting upgrade, but it's going to be a while until I get the time to do it. Please post your progress as I'm interested to see how you build it. I have seen pics of some others and they all seem to have something unique about them.

Archived