Coral Vue Hydros

System design

caddyshack

I am actually adding my 6 gallon jbj nano underneath and will eventually get anothe since i can fit 2..... Um one question does anyone know if the lighting system have anything to hold it over the tank P.S. Im not running a sump or skimmer theres no need it's not big enough in my opinion...... well see tho im buyin a Marineland canister filter C-160 i believe it is

post-35155-1227564292_thumb.jpg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dude, seriously, WTF?

ask for recommendations.

OK that is good.

Then ignore any recommendations and advise.

Why the cannister filter?

Not only will you be hard placed to find room for it in the stand you want (aside from the 2-6g JBJ you want to put there (fit or not, is there room to clean the JBJ's? sure doesnt look like it to me). They are also a PITA to maintain. I dont use cannisters on my freshwater tank because of that. If something is a PITA to maintain, you will maintain it less and the end result, a totally hosed and dead reef tank.

Get a Aquaclear HOB filter. There is a GOOD reason why they are so popular.

Plus they cost less which means the price difference can be spent elsewhere.

OK that said.

The light you posted a pic of. I have something similar on my 20H (a discontinued JBJ 130W model)

If you just want softies and zoo's, they are good.

Bulb selection is very limited tho.

get off this thread i took them into account im forming my own opinion and not some random person like you showing up on my thread with somethig bad to say i dont want sps or anythin if i did i would choose a better light. :angry: And atually im taking mesurements and the 6g might actually fit so just stay off this thread...... Im sure Lakshwadeep, evilc66, and obssesed Reffer know a hell alot more than you do so stay off.

No more posts needed for a while I will post on Christmas when i get the the light filter and koralias i will post the set up....... one question tho is there a purpose for a small HOB prizm skimmer im not sure if its worth it in this small of a system :huh:

how big of a bio-load do you plan to have? fish? coral? feeding?

a skimmer is NEVER a bad idea.

my 20g long runs a DIY skimmer, and i have 2 fish..

just another tool to enhance water quality wich in turn will make you coral happier.

as for the lighting..

i ran 4 x 65watt pc bulbs on my 20g long, and upgraded to MH within a month.

find a used VIPER clamp on, i use one, fantastic for the money, normally go for 150$ used.

or you can put together a retro with a magnetic ballast for under 70$ with a cheapo bulb.

canister filter = a no no with reef tanks. Huge nitrate factory.

wich is what you want to stay away from.

as for the AC 500(formely the 110 i beleive), your best bet. Easily modded to a HOB fuge, big enough to pack a decent amount of macro in, puts out some decent flow. all around +'s.

i also used one on my tank before i dilled it. soooo.. i have one for sale if you want to snag one cheap.

pm me for details on that.

koralia's are a good choice, 2 x k1's your best bet. a K2 or 3 will just blow your sand around.

atleast it did for me..

best of luck to you.

listen to advice given on these forums alot of these people know what there talking about ;-]

Thanks for the good post seagul.... i plan on have a pair of clownfish preferably Clarkii Clownfish or the good old Ocellaris Clownfish. I would also like a samll reef safe wrasse ( 6 line), a rose bulb anenome, a part of the tank dedicated to zoa's, another part for ricordia, and one place for some LPs... like a bubble coral.....

Like seagul said, a skimmer is never a bad thing, except when it's a prism. They are junk. Frequent water changes will give you better results. If you are dead set on using a skimmer, the Taam Rio skimmer isn't bad (especially after a few tweaks) and you can get it for $15 at Premium Aquatics.

Canisters can be used, but you have to gut them to make sure they don't trap nitrates (the stock filter media in them is a big no-no). A HOB filter like an Aquaclear is a much more user friendly choice. Canisters can be a pain, and messy to work on. The HOB will be simple, and easily modded into a fuge, or just for holding filter media like carbon if you like.

Well, the Taam Rio isn't bad that I mentioned before. :)

Beyond that, they get kinda big kinda fast. The ones that are worth a damn anyway. For a 20g with only a fish or two, you can easily keep up with the bioload with weekly water changes.

okay I'll look at them i've been studying for semester exams for HS and hangin out with friends so I'll look at the skimmer.... how many pounds of LR should i put in im think 25-30 lbs

get off this thread i took them into account im forming my own opinion and not some random person like you showing up on my thread with somethig bad to say i dont want sps or anythin if i did i would choose a better light. :angry: And atually im taking mesurements and the 6g might actually fit so just stay off this thread...... Im sure Lakshwadeep, evilc66, and obssesed Reffer know a hell alot more than you do so stay off.

OooKay

First of all, I didnt dis on your light choice. I have something similar on my tank. I just pointed out the limitations on coral selection and very limited bulb choices. getting angry for nothing there.

The problem is the canister filter. there is a good reason why they are not used in marine systems, and you chose to ignore that? Okay, its your tank.

Same as why the Aquaclears are so popular. Cheap. Very effective. Very easy to maintain. Easy to mod into a refugium. All around best bang for your buck for SW or FW tanks.

for the JBJ and stand. Did you tank into consideration the extra height you will need to clean/maintain the tank? If I remember correctly, 12" is the recommended minimum (water changes, scraping or removing algae, re-aquascaping). If you think you can do it with less clearance, then go for it.

I have the Taam Rio. Worked well on my 20H until the pump went out and about the cheapest effective skimmer on the market. I put a section of airline connected to the intake and ran it outside the box. That made priming the pump easier and less chance to messing up the adjustment. Biggest issue is that some of the earlier versions had a metal impeller shaft and rusted up. Newer ones should have a ceramic shaft (mine did). Some also did the mesh-mod to improve performance. I have considered finding a replacement pump and start up a 10g or Pico to use it on. Right now its in a box in my closet.

Other HOB skimmer choices could include: Octopus, Bak-Pak, AquaC, Tunze, what I can think of top of my head. these will set you back $100+ new.

okay thanks for the info im going to do the rio skimmer and im looking at HOB filters as we speak

Im going to start a new thread when i get evcerything because there is a lot of chatter and no real progress so ths thread will still be open just not for long

Like seagul said, a skimmer is never a bad thing, except when it's a prism. They are junk. Frequent water changes will give you better results. If you are dead set on using a skimmer, the Taam Rio skimmer isn't bad (especially after a few tweaks) and you can get it for $15 at Premium Aquatics.

Canisters can be used, but you have to gut them to make sure they don't trap nitrates (the stock filter media in them is a big no-no). A HOB filter like an Aquaclear is a much more user friendly choice. Canisters can be a pain, and messy to work on. The HOB will be simple, and easily modded into a fuge, or just for holding filter media like carbon if you like.

AMEN...I hate my Prizm...takes tons and tons of time to get it right then never keeps working.

okay thank you for all the advice its only a mater of time before i get it up and running

Ill be getting a few extra things off amazon on black friday :D the best day of the shopping year :P

what type of HOB filter should i get again an aqua clear or would a bio-wheel work?

You want the HOB filter in addition to the skimmer for filter media or a fuge. You want both.

Go with as big of a filter as you can. The AC110 is the biggest they offer right now. The back chamber on the AC's is bigger than any other on the market, which is why they are so popular. Say no to biowheels. They are not effective in marine systems.

Well today i ordered the aqua clear filter but im not buying the rio nano skimmer i also ordered my lighting system and just need to get live rock in a few weeks and waa laa

wow almost 3,000 views thanks for lookin........ im starting a new thread in two weeks on DIY still I'll be naming it something like The journey of my 20g reef.... you know something stupid like that :D

okay quick question and i need to know what think u think is best out of these lights which do you recommend

A) Aqua Clear Coralife 2x65 watt T-5

B)Nova extreme T-5

C) Finnex Lighting System

just say A,B,C thaks

• Christopher Marks changed the title to System design

Archived