Cultivated Reef

System design

caddyshack

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless your planning on having a very high bio-load you really dont NEED a skimmerf or a 20g, your water changes will keep your params good.

petkingdom619

you dont really need that skimmer. if you really want one get it later. Since your going according to money, just wait on that. Get your test kit , live rock, and water. then get your tank started once you get the light and pumps.

One question , does anyone know a good pump to add with a koralia 1 ? I dont want 2 of the koralias in my 29g because they take up to much room.

edit: get the hob filter instead of the skimmer.put some cheato in it later.

I will be building a 20g when I get paid. probably the same as yours.

Obsessed Reefer

I recommend getting the Current-USA SunDial 4x24W T5HO fixture, over the nova extreme, because it has individual reflectors, which makes it 100x better. Also, their not that expensive.

i researched the aqua clear and do not like but im goin to buy the biowheel, replace with live rock rubble and filter floss and later on chaeto

i researched the aqua clear and do not like but im goin to buy the biowheel, replace with live rock rubble and filter floss and later on chaeto

Look again at the aquaclear, it pushes the water up from the bottom, the other filters will just pour it out over the top and the nitrates from the biowheel will bite you (take that from someone who did not listen to the kind folk on this website and left his bioballs in the tank).

Regarding the light, your choices should be fine for some SPS, I have bridsnest and montipora growing under 72 watts of nanocube pc lighting (I do have them at the top of the tank though).

i would also reccomend the sundial over the nova t5's...

and instead of a aquaclear...look around for a hang on back fuge....you might be able to find a used one...and some of them have a skimmer built into it...it wont be the best skimmer out there but enough to pull crap out of a 20g....

but you can also forget about the fuge and run a phosban reactor....that will take care of your phosphates way faster than a fuge....plus you have Live rock and live sand in the display and its like a 20g fuge anyways...

Rethink the Aquaclears. There is a reason that a great deal of us use them. They have more basket volume than any other filter, easy to swap impellers to customize flow, and very easy to mod. It also doesn't hurt that they aren't very expensive.

The biowheel is genuinely useless in this application. It's about as usefull as bioballs.

Aquaclears are the shizzit!

Absolutely love mine.

The 500 is the old model #. they are now 20, 30, 50, 70, 110 models.

At a minimum, get the 50, a 70 will be better.

With very simple (and free) mods, a clip-on light, they make excellent HOB 'fuges.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looks nice, but you might want to look at some other options for a stand. The short cabinet height will really limit things if you ever want to put a sump and skimmer down there. Something to think about.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to System design

Archived