SaltCritters.com

Help w/Torch Coral

LMTB731

I have had a torch coral in my tank for a few weeks now.  It's a small frag.  I've been having some problems with a brown algae bloom in my tank but the chemicals have been keeping it from "exploding" so to speak.  I noticed one of the torch heads stopped opening a few days ago.  I saw some brown film and strings on it so I held it in front of the stream of water and the brown film floated off.  As soon as I set it down though, the head started spewing out all these long filaments and now it looks as if there are no more neon green polyps left.  Is it dead?  It's not brown jelly disease, or whatever it's called, because the brown in the tank is from a silicate problem.  The other head is still healthy...do I have to worry about it dying as well now?  :conf:

Help!!!  Okay so the coral had this brown stuff floating out of it and today I get home from work to find a "fungus" like substance covering both heads of the coral.  I did a freshwater dip, but I don't have iodine and I can't go and get it at this moment.  Is there any chance this coral could be salvaged?  Or should I just toss it from the tank before it pollutes the water?  :nervous:  

Hydroplex by Ruby Reef. Get it as soon as possible and follow the product directions exactly. The brown stuff it was emitting sounds like it has bleached, and was expelling its zooxanthellae. How much light do you have it under?

I think it's too late...as of yesterday evening, it looked like absolutely nothing was left in the "hard" part of the coral.  I'm not sure how torches usually look since I haven't seen one in any LFS, but mine seemed to come out of this tree looking tube.  The one "branch" has absolutely nothing that I can see in it and the other head appears to have a tiny bit of dying matter.  The coral was doing fine and was opening beautifully then after the brown algae was rinsed off it, it started spewing out its insides.  I think it's pretty safe to say it's completely dead, unless there is some small chance it could regrow from any decent cell that may be left in it.  

Whenever a coral looks ill such as you described, especially any corals belonging to the euphyllia genus. Take a small bowl of tank water and swirl them around in it for several minutes. Take another bowl of tank water and swirl them in this. YOu dont want the stuff floating around in your tank. Because if you have any other euphyllia corals. It could infect them as well. I believe the brown jelly stuff is an infection of protozoans. Hydroplex, by ruby reef is a good product and iv used it to save a hammer coral from the same type of event.

• 4 weeks later...
chess wizard 1

i have a torch in my nano. they are quite sencitive to water chemitry changes. mine has "pooped before" but has come right back after. sounds like your is an ifection of some kind. protozoa or bacteria.

Archived