ReefCleaners.org

Mr. Coral - Bad Luck turned good

Normandy

***I will not be editing the original post, but please read through the entire thread before moving forward, as Mr. Coral came through in the end****

I'm going to do my best and give an unbiased account of my experience, but it is my opinion that you should not purchase corals from this vendor.

I placed my order from Mr. Coral on 7/28/08 for the following:

1 x Hulk Montipora

1 x SUPER BRIGHT OPEN BRAIN

1 x ULTRA RARE DRAGON EYES PALYTHOAS ZOANTHIDS

1 x Really Really Blue Mushroom!! Super Sweet!

We worked out shipping details for the overnight to be sent Wednesday and arrive Thursday morning. It was being set to my office so I could receive it immediately and take it home to my tank.

I received shipping confirmation late Wed. afternoon via UPS. I checked it and they had included the wrong address. Had I not called immediately, the box would have sat outside in the heat upon delivery. We resolved this problem.

Despite the fact that I paid $35 for shipping, the package was sent Next Day Express Saver. This is only a guarantee it will arrive by 3pm. I'm thinking in July, the 1030a option would be more rational...but as you'll see it's not that that mattered.

To make a long story short, UPS lost the package in Baltimore for an extra day and upon arrival, only the Monti and Zoos were alive...and barely.

I understand that all vendors state on their website that "they are not responsible due to damage caused by shipping delays"...I guess I learned this the hard way.

I called them repeatedly while the package was lost and they reassured me that all would work out.

Once I received the package and told them of the dead corals, they told me they would file a claim w/ UPS.

Now I'm getting very little response at best. They keep telling me they have to fax an invoice to UPS.

It's been 2 full weeks and no word. I've had to be a raging jerk for them to even answer any emails, and then it's nothing but the run-around.

There has been no communication, no customer service. I'm out over $100 including shipping...with nothing to show for it.

If you feel like gambling, order from Mr. Coral...If not and you want actual customer service, go somewhere else.

Let my $100 lesson help all of you out.

Oh, the frags that did survive were OK, but nothing special. When they state "You will get 5++ polyps!" they mean "You will get 5 polyps".

EDIT: Renamed the thread title for the time being...more neutral.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DESERTHEATRACING

Hmmm... So did you fax an invoice to UPS to the provided fax number? Just curious.

But it is hard to hold them accountable as you said, ALL online coral shippers state CLEARLY that they are not responsible for shipping goofs by a company. Once any seller gives a package to the shipping company, technically that is were the sellers responsibility ends. You paid them for product & to have it shipped. They took the product you paid for and shipped it. That is were the transaction ends unless insurance or other guarantees apply.

I do think they should have sent it for AM delivery, that is just common sense.

Sorry for your loss.

This is a transcript of all of the emails I've received since the problem happened. Every one took me emailing them to get an update.

I've removed the email addresses.

As you can see, I'm getting very little response.

Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 23:06:05 EDT

Subject: Re: (no subject)

To:

Wow!! Let me know if we have to do a claim.

Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 22:31:24 EDT

Subject: Re: Order Process

To:

Norm, I will call my guy on Monday and start the claim.

Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 15:30:54 EDT

To:

I understand. I'm trying here for you. On my Website and Ebay items it states I'm not liable for shipping delays or Errors. However, I would never leave you high and dry here. Please give it some time.

Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 15:17:41 EDT

To:

We have to fax them copies of the payment can I have your phone ## just in case.

Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 21:45:05 EDT

To:

Take up to a week. I will do my best to push it

Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 14:44:33 EDT

To:

Not yet. I will give them a email

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 13:48:27 EDT

To:

I have to refax them the order copy.

The seller is still responsible. If they base their business on mail order, they take the risk of loss. They are componsated for the loss through UPS and owe you a new shipment, hands down. As a buyer we can understand the shipping delay or DOA, but they owe you a full and complete shipment.

I ordered a clam and some acro from Mr. Coral September of 2007. I didn't receive the clam until March 2008. The one I picked out back in Septmeber wasn't looking good so they said they would send me a new one in a few weeks when they received more in. Well a few weeks turned into 6 months! That was the first and very last transaction with them. They refused to return messages with any substance.

Yeah, they used ND saver with me as well, but it still came with my normal UPS delivery at my office since I have daily incoming shipments, I lucked out there on that one.

Good luck

Hmmm... So did you fax an invoice to UPS to the provided fax number? Just curious.

But it is hard to hold them accountable as you said, ALL online coral shippers state CLEARLY that they are not responsible for shipping goofs by a company. Once any seller gives a package to the shipping company, technically that is were the sellers responsibility ends. You paid them for product & to have it shipped. They took the product you paid for and shipped it. That is were the transaction ends unless insurance or other guarantees apply.

I do think they should have sent it for AM delivery, that is just common sense.

Sorry for your loss.

I understand that it is not their fault that the corals died, but they said they would file a claim and clear up the situation. I'm really more angry with the lack of communication and lack of help than anything else. If I ran my business this way, I'd be screwed.

Their UPS rep asked them to fax the invoice...so I'm guessing that they have, but who knows. I've now been told they had to fax it twice.

Something of note having delt with companies and FexEx claims which I'd imagine shouldn't be much different from UPS on this matter. Claims can take up to 14 business days for them to conduct and conclude their investigation of claims that shippers file with them. So if you don't hear anything back further into this week on it, then I'd press Mr. Coral further. Just wanted to share that blurb that I've had experience with on shipping loss claims.

sounds like the responses I got from them, well yours had a little more detail!

I deal with UPS claims from time to time as a shipper, to Mr. Coral's credit they do take time. But that shouldn't delay their new shipment to you. IMO, they need to send you new stuff and handle the claim on thier own, not leaving you "high and dry"

The seller is still responsible. If they base their business on mail order, they take the risk of loss. They are componsated for the loss through UPS and owe you a new shipment, hands down. As a buyer we can understand the shipping delay or DOA, but they owe you a full and complete shipment.

I ordered a clam and some acro from Mr. Coral September of 2007. I didn't receive the clam until March 2008. The one I picked out back in Septmeber wasn't looking good so they said they would send me a new one in a few weeks when they received more in. Well a few weeks turned into 6 months! That was the first and very last transaction with them. They refused to return messages with any substance.

Yeah, they used ND saver with me as well, but it still came with my normal UPS delivery at my office since I have daily incoming shipments, I lucked out there on that one.

Good luck

Wow, I thought a day was bad...6 months...unbelieveable. I'd have given up and demanded my $$ back.

Wow, I thought a day was bad...6 months...unbelieveable. I'd have given up and demanded my $$ back.

yeah, tried that too. Emails were just saying "call us"

did that

got nothing

finally got ahold of someone that knew what they were doing and got it straighted out. They were in the process of moving stores when I ordered and that was most of the problem I believe, but I still hold them to the same standards that I run my business by and will never even look at their webpage again.

if carrier goofs up, they will credit the shipping cost. If seller was any good, they will refund you the dead corals plus the shipping immediately and will deal with the claim with the carrier separately, I see no reason the seller should put up the buyer to any inconvenience even if a claim takes 14 days.

if you used a credit card, just dispute the charge.

yeah, tried that too. Emails were just saying "call us"

did that

got nothing

finally got ahold of someone that knew what they were doing and got it straighted out. They were in the process of moving stores when I ordered and that was most of the problem I believe, but I still hold them to the same standards that I run my business by and will never even look at their webpage again.

Yeah, being in business I have been thinking to myself the whole time: "This guy can't really be this slow over a $65 credit. If it were me I'd send the customer whatever he wanted for that amount and make a good impression."

Let me know how it goes, I planned on putting a very large order of some rare stuff soon but am a little hesitant now..

My email has blown up within minutes of posting this. I'm not the only one that's had issues.

masterbuilder

Wow...am I glad I saw this. I am just about to stock up my new tank with corals and have saved up for a huge order. I was going to order from this guy...now...I can’t risk it.

Now ... I say ...NO WAY JOSE...to Mr. Coral. Too may other vendors that bend over backwards for the customer.

I agree that it's not Mr. Coral's fault that the shipping problem happened. However if they had good business practices they would ship you new product immediately and take care of the UPS claim on the back-end.

Although what they are doing is not in any way wrong...it's simple not good business.

Thank you for posting this though. It helps the rest of is discern who the good sellers are. I'm sure Mr. Coral sells great stuff and most orders with them are fine. But the real test of a seller's mettle is how they handle situations like this. They are handling it poorly IMO and will not earn my business because of it.

Wait, I thought UPS DIDN'T cover "Live Animals" (Hence the reason 99% of coral sites don't use UPS).

Best he could get back with a claim would be some of the shipping cost but I seriously doubt that he will get credit for the livestock which makes him holding up resolution on your situation SHADDY.

I've always hated this site, everything on there is "Super Rare" or "Uber Rare" and the stock never impressed me the few times I checked out the site.

I have heard stories of Fragglereef & Ultimatefrags stepping up and helping out their customers when shipping delays happen even a few years ago when DHL messed up an entire days worth of Fragglereefs orders Miguel made everything right. Putting that on the customer is total crap.

I agree that it's not Mr. Coral's fault that the shipping problem happened. However if they had good business practices they would ship you new product immediately and take care of the UPS claim on the back-end.

Although what they are doing is not in any way wrong...it's simple not good business.

Thank you for posting this though. It helps the rest of is discern who the good sellers are. I'm sure Mr. Coral sells great stuff and most orders with them are fine. But the real test of a seller's mettle is how they handle situations like this. They are handling it poorly IMO and will not earn my business because of it.

True, they didn't do anything blatently dishonest, but the fact that I lost over $100 isn't right either.

You can't expect the buyer to just live with the consequences. I was told "I have one of the largest UPS accounts in Nothern Maryland"...I would imagine they would take better care of their biggest accounts if it is the case.

Whatever on Mr. Coral...I might as well post my story...and pure luck save of my corals...I put in an order on Mr. Coral...some Acro, zoos and Monti........and a Crocea Clam...well the crocea clam, i ordered a small one...assumably 2"...it was 3-4" too big for my 10G really...and was looking ok for two days...then third morning...I wake up to find my tank a disgusting brown color...KABOOM!!!!! The clam nuked my tank...i lost 2 Acro Colonies from Liveaquaria, Hydnophora colony, Pocillipora and a Pink Birdsnest...i was so pissed...I decided forget it...there is no case and let it go...I took the loss...but still I thought the same think...NR sponsor i will give him a try...I WAS DEAD WRONG!!!!!!!!!

-DCG

Wait, I thought UPS DIDN'T cover "Live Animals" (Hence the reason 99% of coral sites don't use UPS).

Best he could get back with a claim would be some of the shipping cost but I seriously doubt that he will get credit for the livestock which makes him holding up resolution on your situation SHADDY.

I've always hated this site, everything on there is "Super Rare" or "Uber Rare" and the stock never impressed me the few times I checked out the site.

I have heard stories of Fragglereef & Ultimatefrags stepping up and helping out their customers when shipping delays happen even a few years ago when DHL messed up an entire days worth of Fragglereefs orders Miguel made everything right. Putting that on the customer is total crap.

Thanks for the heads-up. Hopefully this forum can help direct some business to the guys that take care of their customers like the vendors you mentioned.

I was wrong, UPS can accept some live animals, I could have sworn they didn't, from UPS.com:

Accepted / Prohibited Live Animals

Accepted Live Animals

This is a comprehensive list of live animals accepted for transportation. Shippers are prohibited from shipping any animal not listed here, and all other live animals will not be accepted for transportation. The following live animals are accepted for transportation unless poisonous, venomous, and/or a Threatened or Endangered Species.

Amphibians (All): Examples: frogs, salamanders, toads

Crustaceans (All): Examples: crabs, crawfish, lobsters, shrimp

Fish (All)

Insects (Limited to beneficial insects only): Examples: bees, butterflies, crickets, lady bugs

Mollusks (All): Examples: clams, mussels, snails

Reptiles (Limited to the following):

- Lizards: Examples: chameleons, geckos, iguanas, monitors, flying dragons

- Turtles: freshwater turtles (except: snapping turtles), land tortoises, sea turtles

Worms (All)

Hope he steps up for you.

chuckfullservice

How did you pay ! It may not be to late to stop payment either with a credt card or even a check try calling your bank or credit card co.!

At the very least the vendor should reimburse you for the lose ,if he intends on keeping your business! Its just part of running a business you have to make allowances for loses plain and simple!

Archived