Pod Your Reef

[BC 14] Jon's Reef

nanoreef11

Canopy hasn't even been started yet. I have $200 worth of lights sitting at my work and I can't even use them. The guy building the canopy for me is going to start this week hopefully. I think it has been a month since I asked him.

Anyways I performed a 2 gallon water change to bring up the magnesium in the tank. Hopefully I can test water parameters on Sunday morning as today is my BIRTHDAY. :D

Happy reefing.

Jon

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Canopy hasn't even been started yet. I have $200 worth of lights sitting at my work and I can't even use them. The guy building the canopy for me is going to start this week hopefully. I think it has been a month since I asked him.

Anyways I performed a 2 gallon water change to bring up the magnesium in the tank. Hopefully I can test water parameters on Sunday morning as today is my BIRTHDAY. :D

Happy reefing.

Jon

happy birthday! i was wondering is your nitates were high because you dont have any live rock, that stuff would speed up the process of stabilizing the tank for you.

happy birthday! i was wondering is your nitates were high because you dont have any live rock, that stuff would speed up the process of stabilizing the tank for you.

I have roughly 12 lbs of live rock...

Thank you everyone. My birthday started off bad but in the end it was a very good day.

• 2 weeks later...

As I have been trying to get my nitrates down I have been thinking about what type of fish to get for my tank. My tank consisted of 2 percula clowns and a diamond goby before my heater incident earlier this year. I want to add about 3 fish but not sure which kind.

So the fish I have on my mind are:

Percula clown(s)

Diamond Goby

Yellow Watchman Goby & Pistol Shrimp Pair

Royal Gramma

Six Line Wrasse

Blood Red Fire Shrimp

Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

What combination of these inverts/fish would be best suitable in my tank? Does anyone have any suggestions of cool fish that I might consider?

As I have been trying to get my nitrates down I have been thinking about what type of fish to get for my tank. My tank consisted of 2 percula clowns and a diamond goby before my heater incident earlier this year. I want to add about 3 fish but not sure which kind.

So the fish I have on my mind are:

Percula clown(s)

Diamond Goby

Yellow Watchman Goby & Pistol Shrimp Pair

Royal Gramma

Six Line Wrasse

Blood Red Fire Shrimp

Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

What combination of these inverts/fish would be best suitable in my tank? Does anyone have any suggestions of cool fish that I might consider?

Clown fish seem the best luck (knock on wood) in my past 58 gallon reef. I had them for about three years with a banded coral shrimp.

Yea I want to get a clown fish or maybe 2. If I got 1, what other fish or couple of fish shall I get?

I would love a Lawnmower Blenny myself but my tank is still new and I think nanos are too small for them?

Lawnmower blennies are cool but I think they would be best in like 20-30 gallons of water. I was thinking of a goby. I had a diamond goby and was very pleased with it. They sift the sand very well. Do all gobies do this? What other gobies are suitable for a biocube 14?

I performed a 1 gallon water change earlier. I just tested the parameters and here they are:

Salinity - 1.024sg

PH - 8.2

Calcium - 500ppm

Carbonate Hardness - 10dkH

Phosphate - 0ppm

Nitrate - 20ppm

Magnesium - 1440ppm

Because my nitrates are little high I'm going to wait on getting fish this week. Possibly in two weeks I will be ready to get fish when I decide what my stocking plans are. I will pick up chaeto and more narssarius snails tomorrow though.

Do all of the other parameters look good?

I need some ideas on fish.

I was thinking about a firefish goby but I know they like to jump so I'm not sure about one yet. Would a pair of clowns and one other small fish be alright?

Man, those pictures look like you cashed out bro. Good stuff. I'm liking the setup.

Haha thanks man. I work at Advanced Aquascaping here in town so I get things at cost. Only if I had enough to setup a killer 40 gallon breeder I would. I'm trying to go slow on this tank though and get things right so corals just thrive like crazy. Thanks for looking.

Jon

Went down to my work today. I picked up 5 more nassarius snails and another hermit crab. I finally got my chaeto. Dropped it in the fuge to soak up some nitrates.

The lights on the fuge run from 3am-1pm. Will this be enough light?

I also found out that the guy who was going to make my custom canopy decided he couldn't make it. So now I need to find someone to make one or do it myself.

I took new pics tonight but I don't know where the camera is to upload pics. I will try to get the pics up by tomorrow night.

I also looked at the ORA frag of the green birds nest that came in. Putting a hold on it for myself. Just need my MH setup.

Thanks for looking and happy reefing.

Jon

Went down to my work today. I picked up 5 more nassarius snails and another hermit crab. I finally got my chaeto. Dropped it in the fuge to soak up some nitrates.

The lights on the fuge run from 3am-1pm. Will this be enough light?

I also found out that the guy who was going to make my custom canopy decided he couldn't make it. So now I need to find someone to make one or do it myself.

I took new pics tonight but I don't know where the camera is to upload pics. I will try to get the pics up by tomorrow night.

I also looked at the ORA frag of the green birds nest that came in. Putting a hold on it for myself. Just need my MH setup.

Thanks for looking and happy reefing.

Jon

are you getting a canopy to fit a sunpod?

are you getting a canopy to fit a sunpod?

No I have retrofits so I need a custom wood canopy to mount them in. I had a guy lined out to build it but he bailed out. So I'm looking for ideas or someone that can build it. I already have the lights or else I would look for a 16.5" sunpod.

Pics of the chaeto are in:

IMG_0517.jpg

IMG_0519.jpg

With Light On:

IMG_0520.jpg

I need some ideas on stocking options and a custom wood canopy idea.

Jon

Well, that ball you got right there is your problem to solving alot of things :D.

My pictures are amateur compared to the many pros I know we have here!

Good parameters, with that chaeto, you should be off to a great start... alot better than most.

This is why nothing is in the tank yet besides crabs and snails because I want parameters to be totally consistent all the time. I am going slow on this tank.

Jon

Archived