ReefCleaners.org

coral/invert acclimation advice needed!

dahliaheartsyou

What it is more or less is the color temp. Yeah the CF lights might be bright enough, but they can't do a very high color temp like MH. So you are essentially simulating a surface condition, rather than a lower reef position...where the bluer light is. Is bluer a word? So MH will simulate a color temp of 15 or 20K to achieve the environment the corals need...I would try for some mushrooms rather than the brain or leather. the sponge should do well, and the tubes also.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What it is more or less is the color temp. Yeah the CF lights might be bright enough, but they can't do a very high color temp like MH. So you are essentially simulating a surface condition, rather than a lower reef position...where the bluer light is. Is bluer a word? So MH will simulate a color temp of 15 or 20K to achieve the environment the corals need...I would try for some mushrooms rather than the brain or leather. the sponge should do well, and the tubes also.

The brain and leather would be fine...regardless...it's water quality, lighting is secondary...People have kept SPS under CF...believe me...

-David

dahliaheartsyou
No, MH's? watch what your putting in there then.

uh, yeah I know...

I did my research...

you can keep more than shrooms/zoos in with pc...

I ain't gunna put a clam in there!

geez.

If you didn't know, I am starting a biotope, so...no shrooms or zoos...

and I know about MH lighting being better...

I am doing an lagoon/atoll biotope so it is not deep water.

The brain and leather would be fine...regardless...it's water quality, lighting is secondary...People have kept SPS under CF...believe me...

-David

Yeah, exactly.

take a look at some of the flourishing tanks, not to mention TOTMs...

TOTM's with 72 watts CF?

And yes you can keep more than shrooms and such. But, for someone asking for advice on acclimation, I thought this would be a safe starting point. For you and whatever you buy. Context is always important.

dahliaheartsyou
TOTM's with 72 watts CF?

And yes you can keep more than shrooms and such. But, for someone asking for advice on acclimation, I thought this would be a safe starting point. For you and whatever you buy. Context is always important.

like a tank can't be great without MH?

please.

I know A LOT about sw, if you couldn't tell, just look through some of my threads.

I only asked about acclimation because I personally haven't acclimated any sensitive things yet.

totm with a leather, 72 watts pc

http://www.nano-reef.com/featured/?tank=7

totm with a brain, 72 watts pc

http://www.nano-reef.com/featured/?tank=6

totm, 80 watt pc

http://www.nano-reef.com/featured/?tank=12

and the list of beautiful flourishing tanks that didn't make it with pc and things like leathers and brains are all over...

To be honest with ya, i don't like the MH that much...hahahahahahaha!!! I am thinking of getting retro t-5 with the reflectors...build a nice custom canopy...:D

from the brain link....."Lighting: The stock light and fixture came with 1x36W 7100K and 1x36W 12,000K bulb. After a year, I changed the configuration to 1x36W Combo (50/50) and 1x36W 12,000K. This configuration gives me bluer tint on my corals and deep-water feeling when I turn off all other light sources."

it's also 18g and the other is ten.

How big is your tank again?

from the brain link....."Lighting: The stock light and fixture came with 1x36W 7100K and 1x36W 12,000K bulb. After a year, I changed the configuration to 1x36W Combo (50/50) and 1x36W 12,000K. This configuration gives me bluer tint on my corals and deep-water feeling when I turn off all other light sources."

So your refuting your previous statements?

To be honest with ya, i don't like the MH that much...hahahahahahaha!!! I am thinking of getting retro t-5 with the reflectors...build a nice custom canopy...:D

wow, I don't sell lights.

dahliaheartsyou

what's your point?

you pull one a quote that says it made his corals more blue?

dude, if you just wanna argue, drop it.

you don't know much about pc lighting or you wouldn't be making this a big deal.

dahliaheartsyou
cmgreen, take it with a grain of salt. Here's someone with 1500 posts asking how to acclimate coral.

I am not asking how, I am asking PREFERENCES!

look through those posts where I have helped people, I am not stupid.

cmgreen, take it with a grain of salt. Here's someone with 1500 posts asking how to acclimate coral.

thanks dude...i was really trying to help...

dahliaheartsyou
thanks dude...i was really trying to help...

oh please, you have been stirring up dirt all over theses threads, even my other ones.

the quote you posted said NOTHING about the brain dying from pc, but about varying colors of pc...

So, any advice on either the coral or shrimp acclimation (or any other advice) is greatly appreciated as I have gotten many different answers and am just confused and want to do it right.

Preferences? Whatever...study harder

And we are not the same before anyone accuses me of improper comments

I guess i don't have a point. Sorry if U feel I am arguing. Good Luck with your corals.

Dude, it's clear you are looking for a fight...:D

-DCG

dahliaheartsyou
So, any advice on either the coral or shrimp acclimation (or any other advice) is greatly appreciated as I have gotten many different answers and am just confused and want to do it right.

Preferences? Whatever...study harder

I said I got a lot of diff. answers from people, lfs, books, online...?

all you gave me was crap about my pc lighting not being strong enough...?

let's see your thriving tank, eh?

Oh, and now I know it's the same guy after that racial remark, 13 new fish thread ALL over again...

And we are not the same before anyone accuses me of improper comments

yeah, you have those covered well in other threads too I guess, nobody has to ACCUSE when they are already there...

p.s.

you can stop giving me "advice" now, clearly you were just looking to argue.

marinekeeper

Somebody asks for advice, they get it, don't like it and get pissed off. WTF?

Seriously, who has 1500 posts and can't acclimate a coral. I know you been answering questions but thay had to be like How much water does my 12g aquapod hold?

Archived