Cultivated Reef

coral/invert acclimation advice needed!

dahliaheartsyou

dahliaheartsyou
Oh and I don't do anything about lighting. I might dim the lighting if I was bringing corals from PC to MH or T5, but since your tank is just PC (it is isn't it?) then you don't need to do that.

that's what I thought...

coolio.

i would do at in the afternoon and leave them off until morning normal start time. Just put them all on the floor. don't let any tentacles touch the floor though, if u can. move em up where you want them as slow as you can. it's hard to do. slow

I only have pc lights, and they have mh on everything...

but I will be very careful.

thanks.

Use your hand, bond with him! LoL but really, they can get caught in nets and damaged.

that's what I thought.

GREAT!

I get to touch him!!!! :lol:

thanks for all the help guys, this is exactly what I needed.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i would do at in the afternoon and leave them off until morning normal start time. Just put them all on the floor. don't let any tentacles touch the floor though, if u can. move em up where you want them as slow as you can. it's hard to do. slow

I'm sorry but I fail to see why lighting would matter when being moved to Power Compacts... They are going to have to get used to the light anyway, the sooner the better. There is nothing wrong with turning on the lights immediately, especially with what species you are purchasing and since you will more than likely be bringing them from Metal Halide to Power Compact.

I'm sorry but I fail to see why lighting would matter when being moved to Power Compacts... They are going to have to get used to the light anyway, the sooner the better. There is nothing wrong with turning on the lights immediately, especially with what species you are purchasing and since you will more than likely be bringing them from Metal Halide to Power Compact.

didn't know they were PC. How bright?

I have MH

I tend to just temp acclimate then in it goes. Inverts first then fish in case of copper.

I like the swimming pool analogy. What's worse? jumping right in or slowly inching in.

dahliaheartsyou
didn't know they were PC. How bright?

I have MH

72 watts soon to be 144 in the next month or so...

I tend to just temp acclimate then in it goes. Inverts first then fish in case of copper.

I like the swimming pool analogy. What's worse? jumping right in or slowly inching in.

HAHAHA!!!!

good point...

although they do have to BREATHE through it too...

dahliaheartsyou
I would get the new light as soon as possible

why?

I am not keeping sps/clams/high light needing creatures...

and it is an upgrade from nanotuners...I have a BC 29...

oh, and send me the 200 bucks for it then :lol:

I am a college student...

...drip acclimation can stress fish and inverts and some corals....

+1 ...not the first time I have heard this...I temp acclimate, change half the water, let sit for 15 min, then dump in...used to do more, but the more I hear, this seems better...

dahliaheartsyou
did u plan on getting a brain and a leather?

those are medium to high light at a higher color temp

no,probably not yet, if I did I would get the red, as they require less.

and the tank is not too deep, so it should be fine, maybe not as bright...

and I plan on putting it near the top.

I prefer t5 to PC but that's just me.

Don't forget your cooler when you go get'em. Doesn't have to be a fancy one either. Cheap 6-pack 99 cent ones will work.

I agree with Kraylen...........wtf?............I float and dump. Everything looks fine and even my tang was eating off the rocks in about 30 seconds. I do turn my lights off because otherwise I would have two 150w metal halides about 3 inches from the bags omgomgomg

dahliaheartsyou
did u plan on getting a brain and a leather?

those are medium to high light at a higher color temp

no, the leathers I will get are fine with my lighting.

depending on what brain/leather species will pc be ok or not...

I did my research...

marinekeeper

Wouldn't hurt to give them a dip in lugols iodine and water to remove any unwated pests. Thats always a good step for prevention.

dahliaheartsyou
I prefer t5 to PC but that's just me.

Don't forget your cooler when you go get'em. Doesn't have to be a fancy one either. Cheap 6-pack 99 cent ones will work.

THANKS!

I'll do that.

yeah, I would like MH, even t5, but

1) I am a college girl

2)I have cats

I just put the corals straight in the tank. The lfs dosen't acclimate them when they receive a shipment. It dosen't hurt to do it though.

dahliaheartsyou
Wouldn't hurt to give them a dip in lugols iodine and water to remove any unwated pests. Thats always a good step for prevention.

good idea.

although my LFS is one of the 2 best in the state, and I will pick good specimens.

but I will def. do that.

THANKS!

+1 marine keeper esp. for zoos. nasty critters hiding in them

well, I won't be getting any, so that's good I guess :lol:

I just put the corals straight in the tank. The lfs dosen't acclimate them when they receive a shipment. It dosen't hurt to do it though.

uh, Preuss does, and they quarantine them.

dahliaheartsyou
I agree with Kraylen...........wtf?............I float and dump. Everything looks fine and even my tang was eating off the rocks in about 30 seconds. I do turn my lights off because otherwise I would have two 150w metal halides about 3 inches from the bags omgomgomg

all i heard was "tang"

:lol:

and I don't have freakin MH!

Archived