SaltCritters.com

coral/invert acclimation advice needed!

dahliaheartsyou

dahliaheartsyou

Ok, so tomorrow I am FINALLY getting some coral, here are the choices I have, I am obviously not getting all of them...)

tube coral(Tubastre) either color

brain (Lobophyllia),

Brain worm (Platygyra),

favites,

pipe organ (Tubipora musica),

devil's hand leather/rose leather/thin finger(Lobophytum),

tree coral (nepthea),

any gorgonians/sea fans,

sponges

and I will be getting a scarlet skunk cleaner too

So, any advice on either the coral or shrimp acclimation (or any other advice) is greatly appreciated as I have gotten many different answers and am just confused and want to do it right.

THANKS!

-dahlia

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
strapingyunglad

I float too but, every 15minutes add 1/4 cup of water from your tank to the bag, wen the bag is twice as full pour half back into your tank and repeat. once its half full again its OK to add to your tank. drip aclimate inverts and nems.

dahliaheartsyou

ok, thanks.

that's what I was thinking, but even with the more delicate corals?

and what about gorgs?

also, any suggestions for acclimation drip time on the shrimp...I heard at least an hour...

strapingyunglad

an hours good. gorgs should be the same aclamation protocol as fish. but if im wrong im sure no one on this site will hesitate to corect me!

bump!

(oh my god, my first bump!...don't make me put lolcats on here!)

It is Caturday...I say go for it!

~~~~

I've only ever has zoas and shrooms...acclimated them via the drip method for at least ~30min and have never had any problems.

dahliaheartsyou
It is Caturday...I say go for it!

~~~~

I've only ever has zoas and shrooms...acclimated them via the drip method for at least ~30min and have never had any problems.

LOL.

cool.

I am leaning towards drip acclimation on everything...

oh and

funny-pictures-your-cat-needs-you-t.jpg

ANYONE ELSE SUGGESTIONS?!?!?!

tube coral(Tubastre) either color << harder since they like being fed regularly

brain (Lobophyllia), << good easy and pretty

Brain worm (Platygyra),

favites, << meh on easy

devil's hand leather/rose leather/thin finger(Lobophytum), <<easy and fast grower

tree coral (nepthea), <<ditto

any gorgonians/sea fans, << pretty sometimes but can be needy

sponges << big PITA, can't be exposed to air for even a second so hard to deal with

Shrimp need to be acclimated mostly for changes in salinity, which can cause them to 'suffocate' in their exoskeleton. After acclimated for that they are pretty tough, so it depends what your tank vs the LFS water is for length

dahliaheartsyou
tube coral(Tubastre) either color << harder since they like being fed regularly

brain (Lobophyllia), << good easy and pretty

Brain worm (Platygyra),

favites, << meh on easy

devil's hand leather/rose leather/thin finger(Lobophytum), <<easy and fast grower

tree coral (nepthea), <<ditto

any gorgonians/sea fans, << pretty sometimes but can be needy

sponges << big PITA, can't be exposed to air for even a second so hard to deal with

Shrimp need to be acclimated mostly for changes in salinity, which can cause them to 'suffocate' in their exoskeleton. After acclimated for that they are pretty tough, so it depends what your tank vs the LFS water is for length

cool thanks!

I plan on getting tube coral(Tubastre), brain (Lobophyllia), some leather, and a sponge.

oh, and the being exposed to air thing is a myth, I just learned it...It was the only thing biologists could think that was causing them to die, but in fact it is the lack of water current and food, and being exposed for short periods won't kill them.

so drip acclimate all I am thinking?

dahliaheartsyou

BUMP!

ok, fwiw, I plan on getting tube coral(Tubastre), brain (Lobophyllia), some leather, and a sponge...

and a skunk cleaner...

looking for acclimation preferences...

Ok I'm going to go against the general rule here. For nealy 2 years I drip acclimated everything I got, from 30 minutes to 1.5 hours depending on what it was. I noticed that some of the more fragile things (and even some hardy ones!) would die a couple days after this, and couldn't figure out what it was for the life of me. I always picked healthy specimens, all of my parameters were fine, I couldn't figure out what was going on and I had heard from someone that drip acclimation can stress fish and inverts and some corals. So I stopped doing drip acclimation about 4 months ago, and now I just temperature acclimate then put the specimen in the tank, I haven't had any problems or casualties from doing this and I've used it on all types of coral (although I do a lugols dip on them), inverts, and fish. Just my two cents, I think if you DO ANY ACCLIMATION, you should keep it short, like definitely under an hour, preferably under 30 minutes or less.

I always thought that it was a little much myself. It would seem that the coral would be happier in the tank, if your water is perfect. I just do the small adding of water to the bag then remove the coral real quick. No deaths from it yet. Just turn off your lights though.

dahliaheartsyou
Ok I'm going to go against the general rule here. For nealy 2 years I drip acclimated everything I got, from 30 minutes to 1.5 hours depending on what it was. I noticed that some of the more fragile things (and even some hardy ones!) would die a couple days after this, and couldn't figure out what it was for the life of me. I always picked healthy specimens, all of my parameters were fine, I couldn't figure out what was going on and I had heard from someone that drip acclimation can stress fish and inverts and some corals. So I stopped doing drip acclimation about 4 months ago, and now I just temperature acclimate then put the specimen in the tank, I haven't had any problems or casualties from doing this and I've used it on all types of coral (although I do a lugols dip on them), inverts, and fish. Just my two cents, I think if you DO ANY ACCLIMATION, you should keep it short, like definitely under an hour, preferably under 30 minutes or less.

ok cool, so maybe do like little bits of water in the bag for 15 min. for corals...

BUT- I am still scared I'm gunna lose my shrimp if I don't do it right...

right, as I will try not to expose anything, but the whole sponge dying out of water thing is a myth...

it depends on the species as to how tolerant it is...

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry1406140

and STILL looking for acclimation tips...

so far I am gunna drip-acc. corals for 30, shrimp for 1 hour

"It's all very species dependent. In general, the species that are imported for the aquarium trade are from lower reef slopes and similar areas that never experience air exposure. Blue sponges are certainly in that category, orange sponges also for the most part." from the link

you can expose the corals but not a blue or orange sponge.

just be quick when you expose them.

whatever u do do not add the water from the bag into ur tank

dahliaheartsyou
"It's all very species dependent. In general, the species that are imported for the aquarium trade are from lower reef slopes and similar areas that never experience air exposure. Blue sponges are certainly in that category, orange sponges also for the most part." from the link

you can expose the corals but not a blue or orange sponge.

just be quick when you expose them.

whatever u do do not add the water from the bag into ur tank

yeah, I don't do that even with fw!

I can only imagine the crap that could be in there! :o

i think i have a plan for the sponge...we'll see how it works...

also, how long should I leave the lights off before I turn them back on?

ok cool, so maybe do like little bits of water in the bag for 15 min. for corals...

BUT- I am still scared I'm gunna lose my shrimp if I don't do it right...

Ok just another tip then if you don't mind - When you do your shrimp it would probably be better to do the whole bag-in-the-water and adding tiny bits to it instead of drip acclimation because inverts are highly sensitive to temperature changes and a bowl/bag of water outside of the tank can chill quickly.

But really though, you have taken the time and patience on your tank with appropriate research, just pick healthy specimens and make sure the temperature is the same.

dahliaheartsyou
Ok just another tip then if you don't mind - When you do your shrimp it would probably be better to do the whole bag-in-the-water and adding tiny bits to it instead of drip acclimation because inverts are highly sensitive to temperature changes and a bowl/bag of water outside of the tank can chill quickly.

But really though, you have taken the time and patience on your tank with appropriate research, just pick healthy specimens and make sure the temperature is the same.

thanks.

it shouldn't be too bad, as the store is only 45 minutes away...

should I just pick the shrimp out with my hand, or net...or...?

sorry for bein such a noob with this, I just don't want to kill anything...

Oh and I don't do anything about lighting. I might dim the lighting if I was bringing corals from PC to MH or T5, but since your tank is just PC (it is isn't it?) then you don't need to do that.

i would do at in the afternoon and leave them off until morning normal start time. Just put them all on the floor. don't let any tentacles touch the floor though, if u can. move em up where you want them as slow as you can. it's hard to do. slow

thanks.

it shouldn't be too bad, as the store is only 45 minutes away...

should I just pick the shrimp out with my hand, or net...or...?

sorry for bein such a noob with this, I just don't want to kill anything...

Use your hand, bond with him! LoL but really, they can get caught in nets and damaged.

Archived