Top Shelf Aquatics

Brains

LMTB731

I like the way brains look, but I've read conflicting articles about keeping them.  Some people say to put them on a ledge, others claim they need to be in the sand.  Does anyone here have experience keeping a brain coral in their tank?  If so, what type and where do you keep it?  I even read that certain brains can't be with sinularias so I'm really curious to see what types people have kept in their tanks and with what type of other corals.  In my tank I have a bunch of sinularias, sarcphytons, buttons, yellow polyps, ricordea, and star polyps.  Any suggestions???  :lookaround:

I have a red open brain in my 20 gal tank. He sits right on the sand. I also have yellow polyps, blue mushrooms hairy leather, octobubble, and a green torch.

My brain is doing great, I think the biggest thing is to make sure it receives enough light. I also feed my brain mysis and brine shrimp about once or twice a week when he expands.

They are beautiful corals. HTH

They can pertty much go anywhere. The thing you have to remember, if you put it on a ledge it may fall. Fall=damage, so be careful. Another thing to think about is the coloring of the flesh. The red brains are a shallow water brain and will need to be closer to light source. The red pigment is a sort of "sunscreen". Green brains are deeper water brains and need to be further from the light source. I believe I have read that they are sand dwelling , just like elegance corals. Being in the sand allows it to spread out fully accoss the sand to catch the full rays, where as ledges force the flesh to fall over the sides and not expand fully. Not to mention both types of coral grow a conical shaped skeleton which acts as a stake to anchor it in the sand during turbulent times.

Archived