Coral Vue Hydros

Aquaclear 300 or 500?

j0dy77

Can you tell me how the surface skimmer attachment is working for you? how effective is it in removing ammonia as compared with stand alone skimmers?

thanks!

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by air_doc28

Can you tell me how the surface skimmer attachment is working for you? how effective is it in removing ammonia as compared with stand alone skimmers?

thanks!

The function of the AquaClear surface skimmer is not to remove ammonia. It is designed to skim organic film off the surface of the water. In doing so it increases the exchange of gases between the surface of the water and the atmosphere. It also improves the appearance of the tank by removing the unsightly film on the surface.

IMO it does a very good job of this. Probably not as good as a built in overflow, but what do you expect for an $8 add-on to a HOB filter. It is definitely a good buy.

Steve

Steve....have you really seen any real results in your fuge since you set it up? I know that's its working out great for you, but have you seen more pods crawling around yet? I have a 20H but considering using a 300 (w/o impellar mod) do you think that's adequate fuge for a 20H?

Siejuban...seeing that you are using the AC 300, the questions also applys to you too....hopefully you're still following this thread.

I posted the same Q's but I might as well as ask you 2 personally b/c i've been following this thread.

Thanks guys.

I am not sure if it is due to the refug, the pod population is suddently increased since I installed the AC300 as refug, before that I only see very tiny onr on the wall, not the bigger one that look like bug or shrimp. And, more diff kind of macro algae started to grow on the rock in the main tank. The hair algae is once a big problem before I use the AC 300 refug, after I put 2 turbo snails, the hair algae was eaten, and become less trouble to me, seemed the growth of the hair algae is lesser now. And some more life form is found too.

• 1 month later...
purple_llama

is there something other than goop that can be used? i got a tube of household goop and it says 'goop is not recommended for use on aquariums'

any advice would be appreciated

I got my surface skimmer from a local pet shop but someone on here sent me to www.bigalsonline.com when I was looking for one.

I used the household goop on mine was a little worried but it has been a couple months and no trouple with it. Works really good.

whats the max size/wattage heater that can fit in the aqua clear 300 or 500.

i'm looking for a HOB filter for my 24 gallon that will house a heater.

also, would a cpr bakpak skimmer hold a suitable heater for my 24 gallon (100 watts perhaps?)

• 3 weeks later...

where is a good place to buy the Macro algea.I used this post to make a fuge for my 10g out of a AC300.Also where can I buy a surface skimmer attachment for it .The LFS around here dont carry them..

I have a 50 watt heater in my ac 500 and it fits perfect. Not sure if I could get one bigger in mine b/c the way I did mine.

as posted above www.bigalsonline.com for the surface skimmer.

I got my Macro from a local store. But seacrop.com has a deal for a couple different kinds for $20.

I am using the AC300 and have added the skinner as shown on the pictrues. I didnt glue mine, just make it fit tight and it works great. That way I could take it out if I need to in the future. As for lighting. I got a 9" (2) x 9w coralife mini Aqualight hood and it fits perfict. I made a clear cover out of some plexiglass I had. I did cut the little extension on the adjustment inflow pipe to make it closer to the HOB.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I am setting up my first personal SW on my desk at work (to give me something to look forward to in the morning). My question is, can This be done to an AC150? If so, Could i run a fuge in a modified AC150 and run a LR / Chem filter in a separate AC150? this is what I am currently considering.

Or, could I get an AC300 or AC500 and retrofit it with the AC150 impeller and motor?

Would i still need a powerhead if i did this?

Should I go ahead and try and tell you what happened later?

When I was building mine the group told me to get a AC 500, but I thought it was too big. As always I should have got it. I have a AC300 and I cant see anything smaller. If you have a smaller size us it and make it work, but dont buy the small. I dont see any advantage to have two on the back on your tank. Just get a 500 and have it all in one.

Ah, i see, so, get the 500, add a divider in the middle-ish and put a refugium on one side and live rock on the other?

If i did this should i reduce the flow rate by changing impellers/motors?

Now you get it! I forgot what size tank you have? Was it a 10gal? You can keep the impeller it comes with, but it works better if you lower the flow. I think they are only about $4 so it would be a good addition.

Oh, see i have a 5.5 that i am putting together.

i am planning on a 1" live sand bed, and 6-8 lbs of mostly figi live rock with some tonga top pieces.

I'm gonna let that settle a bit while i absorb more info on coral keeping.

I intend to add 1 fish and a cleaner shrimp.

perhaps a juvenile flame hawkfish or green clown goby.

With just the ac 500 I think your flow will be to much for a 5 gallon. When it was on my 10 I thought it was to much until I added the surface skimmer then I could lower the flow to a good point. I added 1" of sand and a some live rock to mine has helped the tank a lot I think.

so should i consider a 300, or mod the 500 to detune it to a lower rate? Will the AC150 impeller and motor fit the AC500?

Will the surface skimmer fit in a 5.5? (@ 9+" deep)

I'm not sure either will fit on a 5.5 gal. You need to check some websites for the size. I think my AC 300 was 8 1/2" wide by 5" but I wasnt concern with the depth. I would think that with such a small tank no mater which one you use you will have to change out the impeller.

The impeller from a smaller ac will not fit the 500. The surface skimmer might be close. I have about 1" sand in the corner where mine is and its almost touching and does touch the top when water level is full.

Mine helped me cut the algae down some in my tank. Once I added the Macro I got tons of little critters. ANother thing is the ac 500 added about 1 gal of water to my tank.

Archived