ReefCleaners.org

Blue Hermit on my Leather... problem?

blindsey

I have a Blue Hermit Crab who keeps climbing up and hanging out in the middle of my Green Leather Coral.  I can't tell if he is trying to eat the polyps.  He does cause the polyps to close as he crawls around, so I am worried that the leather won't get enough time to feed, as the crab seems to have taken up permanent residence.  I keep knocking him off and I am about ready to deport him to my other tank.  Anyone have any ideas why just this one hermit crab, of dozens of left handed, scarlet and other blue legs is doing this?  Could he be hiding from predators?

I've had a problem with my crabs always running over my Green Star Polyps.  I was also worried that they may not get enough light since they would close all the time.  I finally removed the crabs a couple days ago and all is well.

I have a left handed hermit that does the same but on a monti frag. Kinda interesting to watch tho. Sorta like they're king of the hill. Shouldnt be a problem if it's not irritating the coral enough to retract.

Archived