SaltCritters.com

Bella the Beautiful Killer

Zombo

N. wimperae. I like him because he's fairly mild-mannered- leaves harder-shelled critters alone, so my astreas are safe so far.

Fixed that for you :)

dahliaheartsyou
okay, pics from her arrival and acclimation, happy now? ;)

In the bag, getting used to the tropical waters of central Michigan -- she was pissed off and kept smacking the hell out of the bag and rocks!

bella_in_bag.jpg

Now, in the acclimation "tank" (actually a measuring cup) -- she wouldn't hold still long enough at this point for a decent portrait

bella_acclimating.jpg

Bella showing some leg(s) and her brilliant green color

bella_acclimating2.jpg

She's still excavating today, and yes, I brought in my camera. She's not made her visible presence known yet, but is inside her palace, doing some remodeling :)

She is beautiful, in an extremely ugly-weird way :lol:

I think she likes the waterslide you gave her in that cup.

And hey, at least she's good tempered and not attacking something stupid like the rock.

lol.

Aw, come on, isn't this cute?

meral_spread.jpg

OH MY GOD!!!!

whose stomach did that alien come out of?

"Hi Dad, can I have things to kill now please?"

She just had another delicious hermit snack. I'll retrieve the two shells and post a pic later ;)

dahliaheartsyou
She just had another delicious hermit snack. I'll retrieve the two shells and post a pic later ;)

NONONONONO!

you knowz tell me des tingz...

i lub my hermits...

:tears:

• 3 weeks later...

Bella continues to thrive in the 9 gallon she calls her "Palace". Lots of excavating and decorating with the shells of vanquished dinner guests :) Yesterday, I noticed my emerald crab hauling ass all over the tank -- and in minutes, I found out why: Yes, Bella was inviting the crab over for as dinner.

I knew it was a losing battle for the crab when Bella had it grasped tight and was flailing on it with her right raptorial "fist of doom". A few seconds later, the emerald fillped over on it's back, never to move again. Bella dragged it away for an OM NOM NOM feast!

Lately, she's gotten more mobile, peeking out from crevices all over the reef, and showing me that now, here color is a deep reddish brown with blue stripes. I am thrilled that I purchased her, and she is by far the most mesmerizing creature I've ever had as a pet!

• 3 months later...

haha I'm waiting to see pictures, I believe you have just as much character as your mantis :P I enjoyed reading your posts more than looking at the pictures

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, that's so sad. I had no idea....

Bella was housed with Greta (a G. chiragra) for a brief period while Zombo was doing some work with another tank, I think. Anyway, in a short time span, Greta, being the G. chiragra that she is, supposively attacked Bella. In the process Bella lost a rap but I think either she molted it back or it was just a false alarm because the rap that Zombo found was a molted shell. I'm not sure, plus it's Zombo's story so I would have rathered him to have explained it. I don't know if I got it right or not. It turned out that Bella was ok in the end. I guess now she's going to a new servant of her's. It would be awesome if whoever keeps her ended up keeping the thread alive.

I feel bad, it sounded like Zombo really loved Bella. It's sad to see two people...errr...socially connected organisms part ways. GOOD LUCK ZOMBO! May you and Bella never part in terms of the heart!

Archived