Cultivated Reef

A 40 breeder bulid by Xytrix

Xytrix01

Well, looks like progress has halted once again... I broke the clutch on my jeep, so now i gotta buy parts for that. I hate it when things like that happen. Hopefully next month i might be able to get started on this...

That sucks, mines an auto, lol. Good luck with your stuff.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh dear oh dear oh dear...

I have a problem.

I have the 40br tank, that's all. I really really really want to set it up.

But I ALSO have this 29 gallon that i have already built the stand for, drilled, plumbed, painted, and just needs the stand painted and a hood.

I keep staring at it, and i don't really like it because (1) I painted the back blue, and have since decided that I hate blue back tanks, and (2) The dimensions are all wrong, i don't know what i was thinking. The 40br makes such a better tank.

The big problem is that my corals are all in the 20long on a temp piece of furniture, and they need to move SOON. The 40br is going to take a long while to set up, and i don't really have the funds to just run with this.

To top it off, my girl says that she's totally ok with me doing the 30 downstairs, and it is really hard to turn down an approval like that...

So it looks like I may not be joining the 40br club after all. At least not right now...

I know, it sucks, and has had me cursing up and down all day now. My main worry is that i'm not going to be happy with it, and therefore i may lose interest in it, or be constantly wishing that I had held out for the 40. I'm trying to decide what exactly i should do at this point, because like I said I really really want to set up the 40br, but its going to take much longer to get running than the 29. I could probably have water in the 29 in the next 2-3 weeks, whereas I might only have the frame for the stand on the 40 done by then.

The reason I kinda want to rush on this is that the 20long that is housing all my livestock is sitting on a little desk thingy that really isn't meant for the weight, and as a result, the top isn't sitting quite even. I have a towel under the tank to protect the desk, and while it's really tight on either end of the tank, i can wiggle it around in the middle. Not good!!! I am also considering transferring everything into a spare10gal I have, and putting that back on the original stand. It's not drilled, so I still can't hook the sump back up to it unless I DIY an overflow of some sort. This would buy me some time as I know the tank wouldn't be in danger of cracking, and i could concentrate on building the 40, and trying to convince the boss that the 40 would look good downstairs, and wouldn't take up too much room.

I think I'll talk with her more tomorow if she's in the mood and see if i can work out a plan.

Let me tell you what WILL happen....

If you go ahead and set up the 30g you will be happy with it for a little while. however, it seems as though you really want to set up the 40g. so bascally ina few months you will have 2 tanks running and twice the expense. I would hold out for the 40g. It's not that bad to wait, just ask nanoty!!! His build thread hit something like 762 pages before he ever got water in the damn tank!

Let me tell you what WILL happen....

If you go ahead and set up the 30g you will be happy with it for a little while. however, it seems as though you really want to set up the 40g. so bascally ina few months you will have 2 tanks running and twice the expense. I would hold out for the 40g. It's not that bad to wait, just ask nanoty!!! His build thread hit something like 762 pages before he ever got water in the damn tank!

+1.

Well, I talked with my better half, and after some measuring and discussion, it looks like I don't have to uncouple from the 40 breeder train after all. We thin that we can fit it in downstairs, and as long as we budget carefully I should be able to start putting $$$ into the project in October. I have to fix my truck and get a new cellphone first though, so it really depends on my paychecks.

I just know that if I settle for the 30 I won't be happy with it. There is a reason that it has been sitting idle for over 2 years. I looked back into when I got the tank, and it was in June of 2005, Way back when I was a noob. At the time I had a 5 gallon hex that was supernoob to say the least. I was trying to go to an all out system, but i didn't really know much, so I fell far short of my goal, thats for sure. It really wouldn't be that bad of a tank for someone, its just not what i'm looking for.

How much do you think I could get for a 30gal that has a painted back, it drilled for a 2" internal overflow, a closed loop, and returns, and comes with a stand, and all the plumbing to go from the pumps to the tank including bulkheads and unions? I'm thinking that if mayhaps i can sell off this system it could give me a head start on the 40...

Well, I talked with my better half, and after some measuring and discussion, it looks like I don't have to uncouple from the 40 breeder train after all. We thin that we can fit it in downstairs, and as long as we budget carefully I should be able to start putting $$$ into the project in October. I have to fix my truck and get a new cellphone first though, so it really depends on my paychecks.

I just know that if I settle for the 30 I won't be happy with it. There is a reason that it has been sitting idle for over 2 years. I looked back into when I got the tank, and it was in June of 2005, Way back when I was a noob. At the time I had a 5 gallon hex that was supernoob to say the least. I was trying to go to an all out system, but i didn't really know much, so I fell far short of my goal, thats for sure. It really wouldn't be that bad of a tank for someone, its just not what i'm looking for.

How much do you think I could get for a 30gal that has a painted back, it drilled for a 2" internal overflow, a closed loop, and returns, and comes with a stand, and all the plumbing to go from the pumps to the tank including bulkheads and unions? I'm thinking that if mayhaps i can sell off this system it could give me a head start on the 40...

good decision ;)

SCORE!!!

So I went down to my LFS today to waste some time and look for a fish for my freshwater tank. I started chatting with a buddy of mine who works there and he informs me that he's just been told to throw away these 5 70W MH pendants that they had sitting around! He didn't think that they had any ballasts, but they had the reflector, socket, and bulbs. (Wrong color, they were from a planted pond thing that they had...) He asks if I want them, and I said "Sure, Why not?" At the very least i figured i could scrounge some parts from them.

As it turns out the lamps ARE internally ballasted, and all 5 of them fire up just perfect. I have no idea why thy were tossing them out, but i'm not one to argue! I think I just figured out what i'm using for lighting for this tank!

I probably won't keep them in the big ugly cans. I'm thinking i'll gut them and install them in a custom hood to keep things looking clean. I may put two of them as-is over my 90gal freshwater. That would leave 3x70w units for the 40gal. 210watts may not be enough though so I may use the 150W ballast that I have to fire a 10 or12k bulb, and use 2 of the 70W units to fire some 20k bulbs on either end.

Can't beat free stuff huh?

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

NICE!!! next year im going to do a 40br tank when i make the move to pitt... im going to be running 2 70w mh and 4 t5s over it... nice score on free mh!! you could always sell them and make a pretty penny... 60-80 per pendent = some really nice equiptment for your 40 :D (i'm just sayin....)

NICE!!! next year im going to do a 40br tank when i make the move to pitt... im going to be running 2 70w mh and 4 t5s over it... nice score on free mh!! you could always sell them and make a pretty penny... 60-80 per pendent = some really nice equiptment for your 40 :D (i'm just sayin....)

This is true, and even if I end up using 3 of them, I still have two i can sell off...I would keep them around for spare parts or whatever, but I just don't have the room...

• 3 months later...

what a waste of eye candy and hours at the drawing board. i was trying to get some ideas for my new 40br and all i got was a buncha art lol. ill jus go look at yours thanks

Archived