Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Chaeto in display tank

GioReef

Does any one have a light behind their tank to light their fuge? If so what kind and where did you get it. I have checked everywhere and can't seem to find anything!!!

I know nano customs has one for $89.00 but I have seen several other people with clip on lights.

I really want to get the chaeto in there this weekend if possible.

Any "warm" light is fine. Warm as in a yellow glow not physical temperature. A regular household "warm" CFL I think would be fine.

Try the lesser known and better google search here and look for "chaeto light" or Chaeto fuge" and you will get lots of answers.

http://www.nano-reef.com/search

Edited by Snaz

It would seem that there is no "wrong" place to put chaeto in your tank as long as it is somewhere that gets light and water.

I have some stuffed in some empty space in the rear chamber and light it with the 10w halogen light on this page: http://www.discount-pumps.biz/pond-lights.htm (though I might choose the dual bulb model were I to do it again.)

I don't run the reverse cycle because some light bleeds through into the tank. I have it blocked with some black plastic but didn't do a good enough job to block all. The heat seems not to be a problem as long as I don't run the light with pumps off.

-hank

It would seem that there is no "wrong" place to put chaeto in your tank as long as it is somewhere that gets light and water.

I have some stuffed in some empty space in the rear chamber and light it with the 10w halogen light on this page: http://www.discount-pumps.biz/pond-lights.htm (though I might choose the dual bulb model were I to do it again.)

I don't run the reverse cycle because some light bleeds through into the tank. I have it blocked with some black plastic but didn't do a good enough job to block all. The heat seems not to be a problem as long as I don't run the light with pumps off.

-hank

I use the same exact light in the back of my biocube 14. The single light seems to be enough to keep the chaeto alive but I don't see much growth - i too would probably purchase the dual bulb if I were to do it again.

I run mine on a reverse light schedule and my PH does hold perfectly steady. I couldnt inagine putting chaeto in the display. I barely touch mine and it breaks off small pieces, wouldnt want that constant look of floating strands of chaeto flying around my display.

...The single light seems to be enough to keep the chaeto alive but I don't see much growth -...

I barely touch mine and it breaks off small pieces,

I should have added that the chaeto seems to thrive under this condition. I remove about half of a baseball size clump every week or two.

I wonder why yours is different. Mine is pretty springy. It grows to fill the chamber and I can pull it out without it losing shape. When I pull it apart, it tries to hang on, drawing out long filaments from the mass until it yields.

Are you using any chemical media? If so, I wonder if the media is starving the chaeto for some necessary nutrient.

-hank

• 11 years later...
Demanwideplan

I bought a clear ball sold at pet stores for mice, gerbils, etc., to run around in. It is slotted to allow water flow. Filled with chaeto, it randomly and mesmerizingly moves around the tank, reacting and slowly spinning to the tank current. Presently looking for a glow in the dark salt water aquarium safe item to place inside so I can see it at night when the lights are off. 

• Like 1

Okay, that's a pretty cool idea. And the only good use for those things- the balls aren't actually good for rodents. They're too confined and poorly ventilated, don't have good visibility, can get into dangerous places, and can harm their spines as they run with their spine curved. 

Any pics? 

As to aquarium-safe glow in the dark, you could probably coat a glow-in-the-dark item with some sort of epoxy sealant to make it watertight.

• 2 weeks later...