Innovative Marine Aquariums

Chaeto in display tank

GioReef

geekreef_05

Well, if you want to do something easier, I was gonna use a tank divider to create an in-tank sump area, where I would put the cheato.

Aint pretty, but works really well.

Well i put wedged it on the rocks and it was doing great. Then my emerald and scarlet crabs started to eat it like crazy. I came back a few hours later and they had finished 1/2 of it. So i put it in a soapdish high up so they cant get it. They had a wonderful snack,LOL

• 2 weeks later...

I have knotted the Chaeto ball in my nano at the frame of a Maxi-Jet powerhead. Those Maxi-Jet PHs don't get clogged with the Chaeto.

In one of my picos, I used one of those clips with a sucker for hanging vegetables in a tank and that works fine, too.

Chaeto is quite resistant to everything. Without light, it simply doesn't grow. I use it as fish food, too, in our brackish tank where the platys consume it. It stays fine there with only SG 1.005. It withstands a variety of temperatures and salinities.

There are also a few marine fish that eat it. Foxface AFAIK.

I have a newly set up Red Sea Max...I;ve been reading a lot oabou this stuff since i'm a noob. I was thinking about putting in the rear chamber after the stock skimmer or inthe spot where the heater goes(I dont need any more heat!), the flows great there and there is a little ambient light through the smoke glass...I;ve also been doing a little research into lighting up that rear chamber...Thinking about installing one of these:

PODLED_LARGE.jpg its a small high intensity LED spot lamp idealy used for spot or art lighting, there are number of color options and wiring options.

Here are the key features:

Intense round beam pattern

Available with 12° - 120° adjustable beam width

Adjustable mounting bracket

Appropriate thermal management for longevity

Robust construction suitable for outdoor applications

Operational and environmental benefits of LED technology

Here is a link to the site I found it on:

http://www.nemalux.com/products/PODLED/index.php#Order

My rear chamber would flow like this after this update:

Intake > (Possibly a sponge pad - the black stock stuff) > Currently Skimmer > Chaeto w/LED lighting > LR Rubble > Purigen > out through stock maxi's.

Anyone(StevieT if you read this) have any input on that flow arrangement through the rear chamber of the RSM?

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
Okay - I can't find the information in the Nano-Reef glossary of terms - so what are the "pods" that everyone is referring to with their cheato?

If you find one in your basement - Don't go to sleep!!! :scarry:

The ones in your tank are copepods and amphipods which are small crustaceans that are for the most part beneficial. There are some pictured here: http://www.nano-reef.com/invertebrates/

-hank

I also have cheato growing off of the screen on my MJ powerheads, gets lots of flow and really doesnt look all that bad, its pretty intertwined in there but initially the suction holds it in place

Edited by grave
If you find one in your basement - Don't go to sleep!!! :scarry:

The ones in your tank are copepods and amphipods which are small crustaceans that are for the most part beneficial. There are some pictured here: http://www.nano-reef.com/invertebrates/

-hank

Thanks Hank!

If I put the Chaeto in the back of my Nano-Cube where the heater would normally go, it will get lots of flow - but will the pods make it through the return pumps into the tank whole, or will they end up smashed and add to the load on the tank?

If I put the Chaeto in the back of my Nano-Cube where the heater would normally go, it will get lots of flow - but will the pods make it through the return pumps into the tank whole, or will they end up smashed and add to the load on the tank?

I recall reading somewhere that lots of things that would otherwise live in the water column get chopped up in the pumps. Some might make it through. The ones that don't might feed something else but are unlikely to add significantly to the load. Since there's not much you can do about it I see no sense in worrying about it.

-hank

i tossed it in my fuge and my pods just exploded, they love it. Some got into my tank and really cleaned the top of the sand up, with just nutrient export. a little piece got onto my toadstool leather but it doesn't seem to mind and from behind my live rock, cheato grew between the rocks and got a little bit covered in coralline.

I have no complaints, just hat sometimes it looks weird to have strings of cheato growing here and there. depends on what you want your tank to look like.

Why hide Chaeto in a sump? I did the soapdish thing but it really looked silly. The stuff looks great in the main display!

I have three "balls" of it rolling around my main display. It is full of copes and baby brittle stars. I love the look, great colour to the tank. My balls have a couple larger pieces of sand in them to keep em down in the corners. I harvest as needed.

Sure pieces break off and end up everywhere but it looks natural.

Hiding Chaeto in a fuge is a sin!

Can you post pictures of the cheato in your tank?

fts_oct2008.jpg

Chaeto in the bottom left and in the cave towards the middle back. I like the look. You can see a string of it on the Hydor Nano too!

• Like 1
fts_oct2008.jpg

Chaeto in the bottom left and in the cave towards the middle back. I like the look. You can see a string of it on the Hydor Nano too!

that does look neat. I might have to experiment a little in my tank. I would be afraid if I left town for while that it would overtake my tank lol.

What about all that I have read about if you put it in the rear chamber on a reverse lighting that it helps with the PH drop at night???

I have everything ready to go in the mid chamber in my 28g nano hqi and then while looking for a light the LFS that I respect says just put the chaeto in the main tank in the back behind rocks???? I am so confused@@@@

I also can't find a light to go behind the tank!!!

Edited by hppd432
What about all that I have read about if you put it in the rear chamber on a reverse lighting that it helps with the PH drop at night???

I have everything ready to go in the mid chamber in my 28g nano hqi and then while looking for a light the LFS that I respect says just put the chaeto in the main tank in the back behind rocks???? I am so confused@@@@

I also can't find a light to go behind the tank!!!

It's all good. Wherever you grow it.

The benefit of Chaeto besides it looks good and pod hideout is that it will use the excess phosphates in the tank and thus less algae and less "phos-ban" or other chemical answers to lowering unwanted nutrients. I have never heard it being used as a pH buffer at night?

Here is what I have read on several boards and sites in a nut shell :-)

The best reason to consider opposing light schedule is it helps stabilize your PH. when all your corals and algae in your display tank stop photosynthesize, they begin to release carbon dioxide dropping your PH, if your sump comes on and starts photosynthesizing it consumes carbon dioxide, helping keep your PH stable.

Since I haven't got a reefkeeper 2 yet, I have no idea what my PH is doing at night :-)

Anymore feedback on this would be appreciated because I want Chaeto in my tank this weekend somewhere.

Any suggestions about if I do put it in the middle chamber a light to use????

Nano Tuners has a led light for the mid compartment that sticks with velcro but it's $89.00!

Edited by hppd432
The best reason to consider opposing light schedule is it helps stabilize your PH. when all your corals and algae in your display tank stop photosynthesize, they begin to release carbon dioxide dropping your PH, if your sump comes on and starts photosynthesizing it consumes carbon dioxide, helping keep your PH stable.

Well this makes sense yes. I would agree with the science.

Well this makes sense yes. I would agree with the science.

Does any one have a light behind their tank to light their fuge? If so what kind and where did you get it. I have checked everywhere and can't seem to find anything!!!

I know nano customs has one for $89.00 but I have seen several other people with clip on lights.

I really want to get the chaeto in there this weekend if possible.