Top Shelf Aquatics

Halymenia (Dragon's Breath) For sale, On Sale!

johnmaloney

johnmaloney

So we got the best looking pieces of Halymenia out of Qt today that I have ever seen. No lying, they are awesome, deep red on the bottom, orange and yellow on the tips, (very healthy), you can really tell why it is called dragon's breath. Just thought you might want to know. Oh, and we discounted it.

www.reefcleaners.org

• 4 weeks later...
So we got the best looking pieces of Halymenia out of Qt today that I have ever seen. No lying, they are awesome, deep red on the bottom, orange and yellow on the tips, (very healthy), you can really tell why it is called dragon's breath. Just thought you might want to know. Oh, and we discounted it.

www.reefcleaners.org

Do you have any problems with shipping this?? I tried to get some from my own state and after two try's gave up. It came in looking reddish orange then it just fell apart. From little info I can find it seems like it is difficult to ship??

we have had losses, it isn't the easiest thing to ship as it doesn't really show signs of stress until it goes south. Also very hard to rehabilitate. On Halymenia we are above 90% Alive Arrival, but it does cause some trouble. We cover it with alive arrival though of course. Right now we are out though, shipped off a bunch before Fay hit us, and the waters haven't cleared since then. I hope the patch of it we manage is surviving, the ocean over here is almost brackish with all the freshwater runoff from the storm. once it clears we will be able to tell what has survived and what hasn't. The other Halymenia we carry, Halymenia duc. is in, and looks really nice. THink I will get an updated picture of that soon.

when it arrived did it break apart in your hand? that is the tell tale sign it is going to die, that and if it is yellow, but orange red is pretty healthy color. (At least for the species we carry, halymenia floresii) If it was still firm and not decaying, it might have survived shipment, but then died from placement in the tank, or from conditions. What is your tank like?

we have had losses, it isn't the easiest thing to ship as it doesn't really show signs of stress until it goes south. Also very hard to rehabilitate. On Halymenia we are above 90% Alive Arrival, but it does cause some trouble. We cover it with alive arrival though of course. Right now we are out though, shipped off a bunch before Fay hit us, and the waters haven't cleared since then. I hope the patch of it we manage is surviving, the ocean over here is almost brackish with all the freshwater runoff from the storm. once it clears we will be able to tell what has survived and what hasn't. The other Halymenia we carry, Halymenia duc. is in, and looks really nice. THink I will get an updated picture of that soon.

when it arrived did it break apart in your hand? that is the tell tale sign it is going to die, that and if it is yellow, but orange red is pretty healthy color. (At least for the species we carry, halymenia floresii) If it was still firm and not decaying, it might have survived shipment, but then died from placement in the tank, or from conditions. What is your tank like?

Second shipment, It was shipped USPS, two days to get here. It was bag up with air and little water. It look orangish and smell alright(first shipment smelled really bad), but you could tell it was pretty stress and some pieces fell apart. It look like algae soup but there was a larger piece still in one piece. The water was very red. I avoided placing in my main tank, and put it into a smaller 10 gal, which is a sort of left over tank, with 3" of live sand, 10 mangroves, Chaeto algae. It has a 20 " Coralife 50/50 which produces a lot of light for the tank size. Tank tested with 0 nitrates, 0 ammonia, 420 calcium, eveything is like it should be. I should of done a little more research on it before purchasing and I did not know this was the first time the seller has ever shipped this alage. Does it have to be attached to something?

it should so it doesn't flow into intakes, but it need not be attached to survive. sounds like it broke down on during shipping if some of the pigments leached into the water. it was DOA for sure. I have kept it successfully under the exact same light you have, that is actually on the holding tank we keep it with.

Sounds like your tank is setup right for it, you just got a bad batch. If you really wanted to be successful with it, nitrates around 5-10 would be ideal, but that certainly isn't the reason it died on you last time.

is it possible to do a request on the algae pack? there are a number of specific algaes I want but unfortunately a nano does not lend well to a purchase of massive quantities of macro

Archived