Innovative Marine Aquariums

---

McLovin

lakshwadeep

The tank and stand look great! Although, I'm worried that your firefish might get bullied by the maroons once they reach an adult size of over 6".

OK I hope you go for this because I wasn't that interested in them until I went to my friend's house last night and saw one for the first time. Get a barnacle blenny. My friend, Mark, had one in his 120 gallon and I saw just a little tiny head pointing at of the LR, looking at us and asked him about it. He said "watch this" and pulled out some food and put it in, and then HOLY TOLEDO. The thing was moving so fast I couldn't see it. It's amazing because it jumps out and gets the food and then goes back into its hole in the LR in flash of lightning. Get one!

Barnacle Blennies are great. I actually like gobies but blennies are much more interesting and barnacle blennies are a trip to watch.

How about a pic of the HOB fuge in action. I have considered getting the same one to replace my HOB filter conversion, though it would be hard to let it go. Old dependable has been with me longer than any of my current tanks but I am ready to skim.

We'll have to do some research on the Barnacle Blennies, thanks!

We did have a leak with the HOB fuge leaking from the intake, my husband had to silicone the crap out of it. We believe the problem stems from it resting on the tank and supporting its weight. My husband built a support for it and attached it to the back of the cabinet creating a shelf. It's about 4+ gallons, with a 4" sand bed and LR, you can imagine how heavy it can get. No photos of the fuge in action b/c it's against a textured glass wall.

FugeSupport.jpg

I guess you're looking you have your husband lol. My parents weren't very supportive when 3/4 of my 55g tank emptied onto my carpet when the power went out and my wet/dry filter wasn't set up right. luckily a few inches of water were left.

Tagging along. I really like your maroon pair. I plan on starting a maroon clown/anemone tank in the near future. I have a bc29 that I had to tear down because of a couple of moves me and my wife had to make. Looking forward to see how your tank progresses.

Cool looking setup. Good luck with the branchig red sponge. My experiences with them have been dismal. If you have success I'll be looking real close at your setup!

AdriftQuasar

From what I've been told, Banggais can get pretty big, not that it would be much of a problem with the size of your tank (which looks great), but I have always felt that small, brightly colored fish are more interesting. Just my opinion, and what would I know? I'm just some guy.

• 3 weeks later...
Our sweet little hitchhiker; Dendrodoris nigra

BackSide.jpg

:o Everything was good except that! Do you know what it eats? I'm afraid that its color makes it a sponge (possibly coral) predator that will starve in your tank. Starvation is bad since toxins can be released.

How's that HOB fuge working out for you? Well, besides the leaking and all.

Also, Margarita snails are a temperate species and will slowly cook to death in a tropical system and bumblebee snails will consume a lot of your beneficial microfauna. They're not really recommended species. Just a heads up.

Thanks, we try to keep the tank temp around 78F though it does get up to 80F by later afternoon.

Re: Bumblebee Snails: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...&pcatid=565

Let me know if this information is inaccurate!

I think this is the caveat which liveaquaria hinted at:

Though peaceful, keep in mind that the Bumble Bee Snail is a carnivore. If there is insufficient food, the Bumble Bee Snail may feed on other snails in your aquarium or indiscriminately consume polychaetes whether beneficial or the more troublesome bristleworm.

Basically, the majority of bristle worms are very beneficial and effective scavengers. Their shape and easy breeding (which can be gross to some) are suited to the live rock setting as they can get into all the crevices looking for uneaten food. It's best to keep scavengers like bristle worms or nassarius snails that don't attack other living CUC animals.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived