inTank Media Baskets

Elos vs Solana vs Cadlights

sammyman

man its sad, i went away for a week and my neighbor totally didnt help me top-off the tank nor did he turn on the fan for me and since I shut off the AC in the house the temps i can imagine shot up to 90s and half of my stuff died. pretty relieved cause i was expecting all of it to be lost. now all the livestock is in my 300G and doing ok and the 39G Signature is just running with water to re-cycle. once everything calms down in there i am transferring them back. i think its because the skimmer skimmed out all the crap so fast is how 1/2 my tank got saved. shoot, i would never go without this thing.

i found the price on Premium Aquatics. but they include freight (i just checked again) which is about $65. still for that prcie is kinda high since they dont really include much in the set up asides from HQI, tank, and 1/2 skimmer.

the health risk can be only if you take it out and be directly exposed to it while its on. which is the same as when you open up the mass-produced UV systems, they give you the same warnings to not look at the bulb and dont turn on unless assembled and running with water. and its very shielded when you put it in its chamber.

the CAD UV is pretty good, it stays clean because its under the skimmer and after all of the mechanical filtering is when the water gets to it. i check it once a month to clean it but every time i take it out to clean its perfectly clean so i leave it alone. some of the ppl on this forum has used it for their smaller tanks even and it removed all the Cyano in 3 days.

i really didnt recall any thread or posts i came across that mentioned a problem with the UV Phixion, you sure its a CAD tank or UV? but either way if it was just one incident it couldve been anything that caused it and doesnt relate to the hundreds that they sold.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CAD for sure. It's probably the same person that would be likely to remove from the tank while it's on. ;)

In any event, tank livestock losses are never fun! :( Heaven knows I've had my share before. Good to hear it's bouncing back though. Yeah, freight kills ANY good deal and it sucks that rates have gone sky high as of lately. Back when I got my tank, it was $350 and with shipping, it was only around $380 out the door! But back then Finnex used UPS and not freight, which is not the favorable option (UPS that is). They ship the tanks directly from their manufacturing warehouse, just as CAD does. i think the 250w MH otion is worth the higher price though, with that you don't need the UV anyways. :P j/k But seriously, I've always considered it a draw except in the price front between the two. The Pro model, now that's worth it's price for sure!!

martiniReef

thats sad to hear X3 your pics were real nice but keep us updated with some new pics if possible when yo have it set back up.

Thanks for the quote Phixion, it really helped in showing that UV need to be shielded and that aquarium UVs dont have all the other components that make up sunlight which you loved to mention about. the CAD tank as X3 and many of the CAD users have mentioned is very well shielded and prevents direct contact with the UV. also as long as the UV is not exposed and in direct contact with people, it is fine. i see you were really trying to pull out every little thing you can find with what i said since 2 pages ago.

WHERE DO YOU GET THAT IT IS NOT SHIELDED? man its like talking to a piece of stone. the CAD tanks have the UV shielded and encased with GLASS and ACRYLIC both UV resistant. i believe this is the 7th time?

and when you recommend the Finnex to other people it would also be honest if you told them of the aquarium build FLAW of making the whole tank with side and front panels tempered glass, cheap skimmer and barely there cabinets the way you like to make every little thing (even non-existent threads) of the CAD systems known. then i would respect you as an honest and fair guy.

Hey X3 which part of NY are you from?

i live in Staten Island.

yeah the UV is shielded pretty good like martini said.

it may be a good thing anyway since i always wanted to re-arrange the aquascape but never had the reason to. summers are so hard why is it that everytime i have wipeouts, it all happens in summers? its like nothing happens when you are there, only when you go on vacation. its like they know you are gone or something.

thats sad to hear X3 your pics were real nice but keep us updated with some new pics if possible when yo

WHERE DO YOU GET THAT IT IS NOT SHIELDED? man its like talking to a piece of stone. the CAD tanks have the UV shielded and encased with GLASS and ACRYLIC both UV resistant. i believe this is the 7th time?

Hey X3 which part of NY are you from?

I'm sorry Martini, again you're WRONG. Please show me from the pic I linked showing the sterilizer where it is shielded. Even the box warns that it is NOT. :rolleyes: Again, since you don't own the tank, you wouldn't know. I've seen the box AND the tank. Maybe it's time you invest in some glasses.

You see, it's not about arrogance which is your favorite word. It's about honesty, and I'm all about it. I won't argue something I'm proven wrong on, like you keep trying and failing to do. Please show me the shielded UV sterilizer that CAD includes that you speak of. :) I'll give you a cookie if you can do that! You see, this is what I request you to prove, which you can't do or ignore to do. Just man up and admit you're wrong. How can you live with arguing against a picture which IS the proof.

Since Martini is sooo adiment about UV and acrylic, let's go to school here for a second...

Again from Wiki: It is known as UV degradation, and is one form of polymer degradation. Sensitive polymers include thermoplastics...

Poly(methyl methacrylate) (PMMA) or poly(methyl 2-methylpropenoate) is a thermoplastic and transparent plastic. This is the technical name for acrylic.

PMMA filters ultraviolet (UV) light at wavelengths below ~300 nm Filters here meaning absorbs, NOT resists, but rather blocks which is the key here...

UV absorption leads to chain degradation and loss of strength at sensitive points in the chain structure All over time of course.

So saying that acrylic won't be affected by UV rays is a very haphazard statement to say, when clearly it CAN be affected. Let's stop mentioning glass as I've already affirmed way back that glass obviously doesn't degrade from UV exposure. But of course you'd over-look that comment from me. ;)

No offense, but this is the second thread in the last month that has strayed off-topic due to a debate between supporters of Finnex and Cadlights. In this case the focus of the debate is UV. I don't think UV is a deciding factor for going Cadlights over another system. It's probably not deserving of 2+ pages in this thread. Why not create a separate thread about UV?

BTW -- this is my first post but I've been lurking for a couple of months. Great site and thanks to everyone that shares so openly. I'm looking to get started on my first saltwater system, just waiting for the right setup. If only elos had a 40 gallon system...

RayWhisperer

OK, I'm not reading through all of these back and forth arguments about UV this and UV that.

The fact of the matter is, UV will break down acrylic over time. It will do it to any plastic. Do I think it'll be a serious factor in which tank? Probably not. Manufacturers use better acrylic nowadays to minimize yellowing and breakdown. It can't be eliminated. But, chances are, you'll lose interest in the tank long before the acrylic breaks down.

As for UV sterilizers, most of the PVC or plastic in the ones I've seen are lined with some sort of UV shielding. Ever look inside a sterilizer? The color of the PVC/plastic is usually different from the color of it on the outside. That's the UV shielding. I remember in the old days of reefing. UV sterilizers had a shielding similar in consistincy to latex paint. It was light blue and brushed on by hand. Yeah, I'm that old.

Now that that's out of the way, you may now continue with your regularly scheduled thread.

I'm sorry Martini, again you're WRONG. Please show me from the pic I linked showing the sterilizer where it is shielded. Even the box warns that it is NOT. :rolleyes: Again, since you don't own the tank, you wouldn't know. I've seen the box AND the tank. Maybe it's time you invest in some glasses.

You see, it's not about arrogance which is your favorite word. It's about honesty, and I'm all about it. I won't argue something I'm proven wrong on, like you keep trying and failing to do. Please show me the shielded UV sterilizer that CAD includes that you speak of. :) I'll give you a cookie if you can do that! You see, this is what I request you to prove, which you can't do or ignore to do. Just man up and admit you're wrong. How can you live with arguing against a picture which IS the proof.

well you are supposed to use the UV in the UV and skimmer chamber. you need to shut it off if you want to clean it or if for any reason you want to take it out, it states that on the warning.

Acrylic is one of the best materials to resist against all UVs you can get next to glass. and since it is black, it filters out all the UV rays coming out of the UV sterilizer. everything will break down with enough time under UV rays or sunlight, but it will take lifetimes man not a year or 2.

Ray whisperer: yeah i noticed that when i open up my AquaUltraviolet 80W.

skimmerdude

I am worried about the lighting. I think that the lighting looks sub-par compaired to the led Solaris lighting that is available. Are there any plans to upgrade the lighting so SPS and clams can be kept with the sleek solana lighting?

Thanks,

John

I am worried about the lighting. I think that the lighting looks sub-par compaired to the led Solaris lighting that is available. Are there any plans to upgrade the lighting so SPS and clams can be kept with the sleek solana lighting?

Thanks,

John

John, as far as I am aware, the LED lighting for the Elos Mini (if that is what you are talking about) will be sufficient to keep clams and sps.

skimmerdude
John, as far as I am aware, the LED lighting for the Elos Mini (if that is what you are talking about) will be sufficient to keep clams and sps.

Yeah, that is what I am talking about. I hope the light is sufficient. It will be a little while before I can afford (or rather my wife will let me afford) the new Elos Mini. So by then there are bound to be a few reports out by then. How are the lights on the Mini controlled, are there variable settings, or on/off?

Overall, a very exciting tank!

There's still a bit of debate out on LED lighting. AquaIllumination is definitely surperior to Solaris LED lighting. I've seen both in action, and people that have compared both, comment much higher on the AquaIllumination brand. Not that the Solaris is bad, but when I saw it at MAX here in So. Cali this past spring, I nor anyone else in SCNRS was impressed with it. In adds and on paper it sounded like the thing to get. But in person, we were quickly turned off by it.

That said, not sure if it would work for the Mini, but Azoo is supposed to be coming out with a new small LED system that employs 7w LEDs! 7w is about the highest so far in the aquatic industry as far as LEDs go.

skimmerdude
There's still a bit of debate out on LED lighting. AquaIllumination is definitely surperior to Solaris LED lighting. I've seen both in action, and people that have compared both, comment much higher on the AquaIllumination brand. Not that the Solaris is bad, but when I saw it at MAX here in So. Cali this past spring, I nor anyone else in SCNRS was impressed with it. In adds and on paper it sounded like the thing to get. But in person, we were quickly turned off by it.

That said, not sure if it would work for the Mini, but Azoo is supposed to be coming out with a new small LED system that employs 7w LEDs! 7w is about the highest so far in the aquatic industry as far as LEDs go.

Especially with controllable LED's, and the upfront cost/initial investment I want to over light my tank and then back off from there. I will be upset of I spend $1500 on lighting that won't keep my current livestock alive. The issue of coral growth is another issue. When looking at a few tanks with fast coral growth, it seems that lighting is only one component.

I hope Elos pushes the envelope with regard to lighting, otherwise they will miss their target buyers. Those with enough $$ to spend on their tanks will want top notch lighting. At least this is the case for me.

todd03blown

I have been told by my LFS and ELOS this e-lite is more then adequate for clams and SPS and will perform top notch and deliver as we expect it to.

I agree skimmerdude. With the cost of the Elos, it should have top notch lighting for sure.

Todd, I'd be hesitant about SPS and clams under there, other coral is no sweat. But only time and ownership will tell if clams and SPS are really possible under there.

martiniReef

theres quite a few medium to big name manufacturers thats going into LED lighting for the coming year and its quite exciting to see if they will drop in price and rise or at least stay the same in quality.

i spoke to the store i am ordering the Elos Mini from and they say that the LED is adequate for SPS and clams etc. but to be safe i will see how it goes.

great point and thanks for re-assuring what i said Raywhisperer. UVs will breakdown everything if you give it enough time, but you most likely wont see it in your lifetime. they use PVC and plastics with UV shielding to cut costs compared to making the whole unit out of Acrylic. thats why only the caps and the little display windows are made of Acrylic. black acrylic is even better.

WHERE IS MY COOKIE!! i prefer chocolate chip!

WHERE IS MY COOKIE!! i prefer chocolate chip!

Sorry, but Ray proved you wrong that UV is NOT resistant nor UV proof. Wrong = NO cookie. It was a good one too, and I just enjoyed it! :lol:

Back to topic, with all the LED advancement and such coming out, I'd imagine the prices should be dropping soon as they already have been in fact. it's just that we're seeing more and more powerful ones come out, and they are replacing the price point of the lesser LEDs we knew of months and even years ago, so it makes it seem like the price isn't really dropping, when in fact it is. 7w LEDs are only recent, same with 3 and 5w ones too. But they replaced the older 1w LEDs in price, so 1w ones are cheaper than they used to be.

skimmerdude
Sorry, but Ray proved you wrong that UV is NOT resistant nor UV proof. Wrong = NO cookie. It was a good one too, and I just enjoyed it! :lol:

Back to topic, with all the LED advancement and such coming out, I'd imagine the prices should be dropping soon as they already have been in fact. it's just that we're seeing more and more powerful ones come out, and they are replacing the price point of the lesser LEDs we knew of months and even years ago, so it makes it seem like the price isn't really dropping, when in fact it is. 7w LEDs are only recent, same with 3 and 5w ones too. But they replaced the older 1w LEDs in price, so 1w ones are cheaper than they used to be.

So far I have my doubts that the stock e-lite as it is currently ships will allow high demand species to thrive. Probably everything else but SPS and clams are okay, and some SPS will do just fine.

I know Elos and the LFS all say "sure put your SPS and Clams in there" but I have heard that my biocube 29 is more than enough room for a tang and that they have never heard of a mandrin NOT eating frozen foods from numerous LFS, and most of the STOCK all in one tanks show a thriving anemone in the photo of the tank on the box.

Overall, I have my doubts that LED's will prove as successful as halides in the long run, I hope I am wrong. I can't wait to see some of the first Elos systems that start to arrive!!! I will believe when I see some SPS overgrown LED tanks.

• 1 month later...

Archived