inTank Media Baskets

Elos vs Solana vs Cadlights

sammyman

I am really stuck with this decision. I am primarily looking for a very slick, quiet tank that will be capable of anything (sps, lps, clams). I have ordered an Elos but have the chance to cancel the order if I don't like it in person. So in the meantime I am researching other tanks.

The solana looks a little cheap, and the auto top off seems impractical (have to fill it every day!).

The cadlights has a discount now, but 39 gallons seems too big for me. I also think the light fixture isn't really nice, and I wouldn't want to show it off in my living room.

The elos is expensive, but i love the thought of the led lights that won't evaporate 5 gallons a day. It also is dead sexy.

What would you do if you were me? I guess I could order the elos e-lite for $750 and put it on any other tank, but then they all cost about the same.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
masterbuilder

If you have the elos in your budget, go for it... its as good as it gets. Cant really compare it to the others...they are 3 steps down

If you have the elos in your budget, go for it... its as good as it gets. Catn really compare it to the others...they are 3 steps down

+1. I think you've alrady made the right decision. Those little Elos tanks are awesome, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Sounds like the Elos is exactly what you are looking for. Hopefully the buyer's remorse will go away when it shows up.

Timberwerks
I am really stuck with this decision. I am primarily looking for a very slick, quiet tank that will be capable of anything (sps, lps, clams). I have ordered an Elos but have the chance to cancel the order if I don't like it in person. So in the meantime I am researching other tanks.

The solana looks a little cheap, and the over flow seems impractical.

The cadlights has a discount now, but 39 gallons seems too big for me. I also think the light fixture isn't really nice, and I wouldn't want to show it off in my living room.

The elos is expensive, but i love the thought of the led lights that won't evaporate 5 gallons a day. It also is dead sexy.

What would you do if you were me? I guess I could order the elos e-lite for $750 and put it on any other tank, but then they all cost about the same.

In time I'll be going with the Elos but for now I'll be starting a Solana. I want to wait and see how the reviews are on the Elos LED. Plus my budget is limited at this time. There has been alot of positive reviews for the Solana so it may be worth giving it a go. I'll build my own stand for the Solana and pick out a light in a few weeks after the stand is done. Keep us posted.

martiniReef

man that Elos tank looks pretty nice! i think the best ones are the Elos and the Cad. the build quality of the Solana definitely is not up to par with the other 2.

Wow, the Solana is built quite well actually unless you've never seen one in person. :rolleyes: It all comes down to which tank offers what you want/need. A LeeMar built Solana with Starfire glass (which is currently produced in very limited quantities) will smack BOTH the Cad and Elos and be cheaper in price (but definitely NOT quality)! Time to study up on your tanks!

man that Elos tank looks pretty nice! i think the best ones are the Elos and the Cad. the build quality of the Solana definitely is not up to par with the other 2.

huh? How so, I don't see what else Solana could do?

Wow, the Solana is built quite well actually unless you've never seen one in person. :rolleyes: It all comes down to which tank offers what you want/need. A LeeMar built Solana with Starfire glass (which is currently produced in very limited quantities) will smack BOTH the Cad and Elos and be cheaper in price (but definitely NOT quality)! Time to study up on your tanks!

I have a Starfire Solana, but I can't really tell the difference since the glass is so thin anyway, lol. It's still a very nice tank for the price. Elos however, is on another level entirely.

I should rephrase, it's not better than a Elos (they use same or identical glass comparing the LeeMar Solana?) but it's definitely NOT inferior to an Elos by any means either. It's a MUCH less expensive and bigger solution, really. ;) I however would probably rate the LeeMar Solana higher than the CAD simply based on who's building it at that point and the fact that CAD glass won't hold a candle to Starfire. The appaearance of the CAD really does nothing for me. I had a curved front tank once and I wasn't impressed with the astetics.

masterbuilder

Thats right....The CAD is a fine tank, I just went with the Finnex because I got tried of curved glass tanks. Now...back the ELOS...I dont know of any other tank with the level of quality they offer. Only competition would be a custom tank by one of the few really high end builders (at a even higher price).

Kellie in CA

I am happy with my Cadlights, but it definitely has a "homemade" feel to it. I am looking into getting an Elos, but I am going to wait a bit until the reviews start coming in. I'm not really thrilled that for all that $$$ there is no ATO on the regular model. Plus, all the close-up pictures I have seen are of the deluxe model with the white cabinet, ATO, Starphire, etc...but those features almost double the price!

I am happy with my Cadlights, but it definitely has a "homemade" feel to it. I am looking into getting an Elos, but I am going to wait a bit until the reviews start coming in. I'm not really thrilled that for all that $$$ there is no ATO on the regular model. Plus, all the close-up pictures I have seen are of the deluxe model with the white cabinet, ATO, Starphire, etc...but those features almost double the price!

Actually most of the pics I have seen are of either the standard maple or white (laminate white costs more). However, I still have not seen a pic of the standard e-lite withe the aluminum finish. I hope it looks half as good as the white fixture.

Actually most of the pics I have seen are of either the standard maple or white (laminate white costs more). However, I still have not seen a pic of the standard e-lite withe the aluminum finish. I hope it looks half as good as the white fixture.

The white lacquered cabinet costs more, the white laminate will be the same price as the maple laminate. All cabinets have water resistant treatment under the lacquer or laminate, as well. Hope that helps.

The white lacquered cabinet costs more, the white laminate will be the same price as the maple laminate. All cabinets have water resistant treatment under the lacquer or laminate, as well. Hope that helps.

Definitely a plus to be water resistant. :)

martiniReef

How thick is this glass? when i compared the Cad tanks it is 8mm thick, the Solana at most i would give it is 5mm. i think if it is 5mm thick then whether its starphire or not it wouldnt make too much difference. you can really tell once it is 3/8 or thicker. i ask cause even 3/8 thick starphire is about $15/sq ft. polished and everything making the 20G Elos only about $100 worth of glass. it looks beautiful but dang thats expensive.

here we go with the good 'ol fashion Phixion bigotry again. dude the CAD tanks have fantastic quality and you should just stop hating on that. i saw all the Solana, Bio-cube, custom Aqarium Obsessed and CAD tanks in person in Connecticut and the CADs really outshine the others in build quaity and the equipment they give. and one thing you are obsessed about "price", its priced very reasonable compared to what the others have to offer. but since you can justify to just put in extra "tweeking" is ok with Finnex skimmer. but whatever, i will keep an "open mind" about other tanks.

oh yeah and just cause you obsessively read up on other reviews you shouldnt "assume" others dont know anything about tanks. man does a high post count make a person arrogant? putting smiley faces doesnt cover your ill intent and arrogance Phixion. The Solana box has made in China written all over it and Current USA is not always known for quality anyhow. Elos and CAD tanks are actually built by their own builders.

back to Elos: i read it came with an external sump, is it a refugium with skimmer UV etc.? if not can the current ones they sell fit?

oh one more question. the laminate is pressed board i assume right? or is it like the CAD with solid cherry wood. i am just about to place a pre-order with Ken @oceanreeflections for a CAD 39G but since this Elos popped up and caused quite a stir, i wanted to see what its about first before pulling the trigger on the CAD.

todd03blown
oh one more question. the laminate is pressed board i assume right? or is it like the CAD with solid cherry wood. i am just about to place a pre-order with Ken @oceanreeflections for a CAD 39G but since this Elos popped up and caused quite a stir, i wanted to see what its about first before pulling the trigger on the CAD.

MartiniReef - I am in the exact same boat as you. I am torn between the CAD 39G and Elos system mini. I just wish the Elos was a little larger then 20G but all the components that come with it are very good from what I understand. Plus I just love the look of the light system on the Elos alot more then the CAD as I will have this system setup in my Den.

This is going to be my first reef/saltwater setup as well so I have some concerns about the components on the CAD and how quiet it is. do any of the components on the CAD need to be upgraded at purchase time? I listened to the elos yesterday and there is really no noise at all with it. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

This is going to be my first reef/saltwater setup as well so I have some concerns about the components on the CAD and how quiet it is. do any of the components on the CAD need to be upgraded at purchase time? I listened to the elos yesterday and there is really no noise at all with it. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

One of the main reasons I think I am going with the Elos is due to the noise... Have heard it is pretty much silent. I don't think any other tank out there is near as quiet. Einstein Aquatics has both the Elos and the Solana, and he says the Elos is much quieter. Not sure about the CAD but I am definitely interested.

todd03blown
One of the main reasons I think I am going with the Elos is due to the noise... Have heard it is pretty much silent. I don't think any other tank out there is near as quiet. Einstein Aquatics has both the Elos and the Solana, and he says the Elos is much quieter. Not sure about the CAD but I am definitely interested.

Sammy - that is correct I went over and visited chris yesterday for about 1hr or longer and check out his 2 larger Elos systems and they are very very quiet.

How thick is this glass? when i compared the Cad tanks it is 8mm thick, the Solana at most i would give it is 5mm. i think if it is 5mm thick then whether its starphire or not it wouldnt make too much difference. you can really tell once it is 3/8 or thicker. i ask cause even 3/8 thick starphire is about $15/sq ft. polished and everything making the 20G Elos only about $100 worth of glass. it looks beautiful but dang thats expensive.

Funny how people ignore when glass not needing to be thicker when it's tempered. Tempering will make the glass MUCH stronger than standard glass. Hence why the Finnex 5mm glass is as strong if not stronger than the 8mm of a CAD.

Again, please PROVE that any tank other than the Elos and CAD are made in China. Do you forget that it's the home of Knock-Offs? Just because you've seen or heard of a Solana like tank being mae in China does NOT mean that Solanas are made there. I know for a FACT that Finnex is made in the USA, they wouldn't have a manufacturing warehouse at their headquarters near Chicago if that wasn't the case. :rolleyes:

Anywho, typical youd bring up the Finnex argument in yet ANOTHER thread that never mentioned the name Finnex in it. Get your facts straight, I'm not bashing CAD, they are great tanks, but don't bash the Solana saying it's Chinese crap when you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. CAD must be doing something wrong when I know owners of the Pro model 39g that will too say the Signature series is a blatant rip-off for what's included. A UV sterilizer that's better at heating the water and blinding you simutaniously and is good as junk after 12 months (or off the bat depending on how you look at it) and a $100 fan (which is what the $200+ extra for the Sig is pretty much saying) ain't EVER going to perk my interests. Without those items, it's a sure-bet tank!

To the OP, the Elos definitely has the right formula. A GOOD quality tank that doesn't include CRAP components or things you can live without/don't need. Plus it's quiet as heck to boot! If you can afford it, get it! Like you said though, the 20g size is dissapointing, but the tank itself (size excluded) more than make up for it I feel.

Funny how people ignore when glass not needing to be thicker when it's tempered. Tempering will make the glass MUCH stronger than standard glass. Hence why the Finnex 5mm glass is as strong if not stronger than the 8mm of a CAD.

Again, please PROVE that any tank other than the Elos and CAD are made in China. Do you forget that it's the home of Knock-Offs? Just because you've seen or heard of a Solana like tank being mae in China does NOT mean that Solanas are made there. I know for a FACT that Finnex is made in the USA, they wouldn't have a manufacturing warehouse at their headquarters near Chicago if that wasn't the case. :rolleyes:

Anywho, typical youd bring up the Finnex argument in yet ANOTHER thread that never mentioned the name Finnex in it. Get your facts straight, I'm not bashing CAD, they are great tanks, but don't bash the Solana saying it's Chinese crap when you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. CAD must be doing something wrong when I know owners of the Pro model 39g that will too say the Signature series is a blatant rip-off for what's included. A UV sterilizer that's better at heating the water and blinding you simutaniously and is good as junk after 12 months (or off the bat depending on how you look at it) and a $100 fan (which is what the $200+ extra for the Sig is pretty much saying) ain't EVER going to perk my interests. Without those items, it's a sure-bet tank!

To the OP, the Elos definitely has the right formula. A GOOD quality tank that doesn't include CRAP components or things you can live without/don't need. Plus it's quiet as heck to boot! If you can afford it, get it! Like you said though, the 20g size is dissapointing, but the tank itself (size excluded) more than make up for it I feel.

Um, the Solanas are made in China. It says so right on the box mine came in, it's a Starfire model too.

Also, it doesn't matter how quiet a tank runs unless you plan to run it straight-up stock...

Um, the Solanas are made in China. It says so right on the box mine came in, it's a Starfire model too.

Also, it doesn't matter how quiet a tank runs unless you plan to run it straight-up stock...

Ok, that's the Starfire model... Now I'm confused why LeeMar is involved with it if it's made in China, their tanks are made in the USA, and here in So. Cali to be specific. Unless they are just a middle-man retailer of the Starfire Solanas. Still all very strange.

And you're correct on not mattering if it's quiet or not unless it's stock. But I couldn't imagine modding an Elos. :scarry:

Archived