Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Mushroom ID please

NanoNewbie

Well, of course when I went to the LFS and they had a couple tiny mushroom polyps I got them - sad thing is MY TANK ISN'T UP YET ... :(  I never do anything in ORDER.  So the little shrooms are housing with a pair of seahorses at a friends for a little while while the worst of the cycling is taken care of in my tank.

The one is a simple matt-rust colored shroom ... the other I think is an anemone shroom?  It is a pale salmon with bright flourescent-green tips.  I was told it was NOT an anemone (I don't want one in the 5.5 because they migrate - and I don't want them killing a coral or something)  It is beautiful - and striking, and smaller than half of a dime in diameter.  It has fingers? really does look like an anemone in many respects.  They had a larger (older) version in the tank and it was a coral ... but please I need to know WHAT the name is.  It is too pretty to go without a name!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hard to say without pics, but it sounds like that last one may be a Heliofungia. They do look remarkably like anemones. Common name Plate Coral or Mushroom Coral, which is not the same as mushroom anemones that we are usually referring to when we talk about shrooms.

Try doing an internet search - I'm almost certain I've seen online pictures of them, but I don't have a reference handy.

Archived