Coral Vue Hydros

The Official Club Pico Thread

hcsceo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i want in on some of this pico action!

here's my 3 gallon jbj picotope, born 12.8.09.

modified ac50

1-18w cpr aquafuge light

custom acrylic lid

stock pico light for the refugium

post-49017-1268385891_thumb.jpg

i consider myself to be an advanced aquarist, and i work full time at a saltwater fish store. here is my pico's livestock list. i would NOT recommend this livestock list to someone just starting out!

1 Tailspot Blenny

1 Red Headed Goby

1 Yellow Clown Goby

1 Sexy Shrimp

1 Harlequin Starfish

1 Gold Ring Cowry

Various Micro Stars, Brittle Stars, Stomatella, Mysis & Gammarus Shrimp, Bristle Worms

13 Zoanthid varieties

1 Closed Brain

1 Open Brain

1 Hammer Coral

1 Montipora Digitata

1 Trumpet Coral (Caulastrea)

1 Ricordea Yuma

1 Ricordea Floridia

2 Blastomussa Merletti

6 Misc. Mushrooms

1 Star Polyp

1 Daisy Polyp

2 Clove Polyp

Plus some Burning Bush and Blue Otchodes

also, Chaetomorpha and Burning Bush in the fuge!

post-49017-1268385920_thumb.jpg

this pic is actually over 2 months old....i'll try to post a current pic in the next day or two!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Man, your aqua is amazing...

I take my first marine tank a little while ago and the forum is a reference to me ...

Your aquarium is fantastic!

Let me ask you a question ... the Clown live well in an aquarium this size?

I also want to put one in mine

Hugs!!!

I'll join! Location- my nightstand

3 gallon JBJ Picotope Started July 2010

Equipment:

Theo 50 watt heater

Aquaclear 50 modded with chaeto and chemipure

70 watt MH with Ushio 20k bulb

two little fishes mag cleaner =D

LiveStock

Devils armor palys

pink milli

superman monti

neon green candy canes

2 ricordea

blastos

frogspawn

IMAG0049.jpg

thanks for looking!

Edited by PirateJing

Started August 2010(I think..)

Located on the counter in the master bath

Stuff:

-DIY fuge/filter (including 606 mini pump)

-2x13watt PC nano hood from Catalina

Livestock:

-Yellow Tail Damsel

-Astrea Snail

-Limpet

-2 Dwarf Ceriths

-Stomella Snail (sp?)

-Various Zoas/Palys

-Softies, such as mushrooms, keyna tree, blue snowflake, gsp, etc

-Lps, branching frogspawn, duncans, cherry chalice

FTS 2/19/11

P1010015.png

Edited by yoshii
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's my entry. Its a standard 2.5 ADA started about 3 weeks ago with ~1lb LR from my 10g nano and 3lb fully cured LR from LFS, about 1/2 inch sand. Fitted with a AC70 fuge with chaeto and marineland stealth 10 watt heater. Lighting for tank is a PAR30 with 2 CW 3 RB and he fuge has a 10w CFL 50/50 that was over the tank before the LED was ordered. Just today I threw in some pom pom Xenia frags and metallic green fuzzy mushroom just to have some thing besides rocks and amphipods to look at. But mainly it's going to a multi species invert tank, home to my new collection of Maxi Mini anemones that i have coming to me this week. Planning several maxis with 3 sexy shrimp and a pom pom crab or two. I'm going to try some zoanthid frags and feed the shrimps and see if they will leave corals alone. I don't want to risk a fish with the Maxis' hunger. Water changes 2 maybe 3 times a week with water from my 10 gallon (now 10 months old with SPS for past month).

post-6813-1297648709_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
lpsouth1978

UPDATED 06/05/2011

Hardware:

3G JBJ Picotope - Drilled

2.5G AGA custom sump/fuge

14G Biocube stand

Custom 39 watt LED Fixture

DIY ATO

50 watt tetra heater

Taam Rio Hyperflow 6HF return pump

06/05/2011 - I still have not received the heatsink from nanotuners, so I decided that I can still get the tank running without it. At least I can get the cycle started. I have it set up currently with the stock Picotope light. I figure that should be enough to cycle the tank until I get my heatsink for the LED's.

I went and bought the live sand and some live rock today. I may get another pound or so later, but we will see.

I also bought some foan and poly filter and was able to silence the overflow. This system is BY FAR the quietest system I have ever had. The only sound it makes is a slight hum, from the return pump. Here are some new pics. The tank is still clearing, but it is coming along nicely.

photo9.jpg

photo8.jpg

photo10.jpg

photo11.jpg

Edited by lpsouth1978

Ahh, just short of 5 gallon. Don't care. <_<

IMG_1432.jpg

AC 20

Maxi-Jet 1200 Modded down in flow

DIY partition

Finnex light being replaced by DIY LED's soon

lpsouth1978

Kazooie and Jbb, the tank is actually just under 5 gallons total water volume. The refugium/sump never fills all the way. When the system is running there will still be room for almost a gallon of water. I hadn't even considered water displacement from adding sand and rocks. By my calculations that makes it around 4.5 gallons total water volume.

Kazooie, it looks like you have a nice start to your little pico. Have you considered covering the overflow with black plastic to hide the powerhead? Anyway nice looking setup.

Edited by lpsouth1978
Kazooie and Jbb, the tank is actually just under 5 gallons total water volume. The refugium/sump never fills all the way. When the system is running there will still be room for almost a gallon of water. I hadn't even considered water displacement from adding sand and rocks. By my calculations that makes it around 4.5 gallons total water volume.

Kazooie, it looks like you have a nice start to your little pico. Have you considered covering the overflow with black plastic to hide the powerhead? Anyway nice looking setup.

lpsouth : lol , that wasnt directed at your tank. I was asking because Kazooie , and myself both have 5.5g AGA tanks. I was wondering if we make the cut for the thread.

:lol:

After water displacement on mine, it's probably closer to 4 gallons anyways.

Thanks! The plan is to have gsp or cloves on the wall to hid it. :)

lpsouth1978
:lol:

After water displacement on mine, it's probably closer to 4 gallons anyways.

Thanks! The plan is to have gsp or cloves on the wall to hid it. :)

It would be awesome if you can get them to cover the overflow. I look foward to seeing your progress.

• 2 months later...