Cultivated Reef

Coral Compatibility

kryptonite

Hello all,

My tank is a 15g tall with a diy canopy which holds 2 18 inch 40w vho's (one actinic white, the other super actinic blue.)  The canopy also houses 1 36w pc retro kit and 1 15w 20,000k coralife bulb.  The 36w is half blue half white.  This gives me a total of 131w on a 15g tank.  Almost 9w/gal!!  Woooohooooh!!! I have a false percula, and a bi-color blenny, those are the only fish.  The rest are harmless shrimps, 1 emerald crab, some blue legged hermits, astreas, and one small orange knobby star.

The only coral I have so far is some green star polyps.  I'm really being wary about what corals I buy.  With my lighting and critters including the polyps, what are some good suggestions on corals for my tank.  Open to any and all suggestions.  I really want some sps's, maybe an acropora or two.  Those are my favorite corals out there.  I am also looking for suggestions for a host for my oscelleris clown.  I'm scared to put an anemone.  

Thanks everybody

Thanks so much for your reply Delph.  

I really like the leathers too.  In fact I almost bought one tonight.  Instead I opted for a 2 for 1 deal on a couple of small xenia's.  $30 wasn't bad for two.  I like them small so that I can watch them grow.  

Thanks again

Your lighting could work for SPS but you also need to remember that acropora grows at amazing rates and can outmuscle other corals as it takes over the tank. SPS will also require a constant and well regualted calcium supply. If this seems too aggrevating for you (as it does to many with smaller tanks) then I suggest you consider housing a soft coral display instead. It sounds like you already know what you like in that department.

Well you're certainly not limited by light!  The only caveat I'd offer is to avoid species that send out long sweeper tentacles since you're working in a relatively small space.

Have fun stocking! :)

So I definately shouldnt get even a small bubble tip?? I've just been torn between the idea of getting one or not. One week I'm thinking that I've made up my mind and that I am for sure getting one.  The next week I'm looking for alternative hosts for my clown.  Just don't know what to do!! I love the way the bubble tips look and I know I have enough light and time to keep it happy but I want a few sps's and other corals and I don't want them stung. I probably won't fill up the tank to much with coral if I get one. Help me decide PLEASE!!! Any advice would help.

Thanks, here's a few recent pics for you guys.

Dcp_pic23.jpg

Dcp_pic24.jpg

This one was kinda blurry, sorry

Dcp_pic25.jpg

This one is of the left side

How about a small long-tentacle plate (Heliofungia)?  Looks a lot like an anemone, but won't travel.  You may need to make a bit more space on your sand bed for one, though.

Archived