inTank Media Baskets

Coldwater Resource Thread

jeremai

kingwintergreen
I did buy the damned book. Wanna see?

Oh wait, this is the internets, my book doesn't do any good for the noobs who need the advice.

:rolleyes:

Actually, I posted a source for the book so anyone (including the "noobs") could get a hold of it if they so choose. I posted a source for the second book because it blows the first book away.

It appears to me from the tone of your reply that you might have taken something in my message the wrong way. I just enjoy chatting about the subject and have seen both of the books, wanted to recommend them etc... We're all relative "noobs" in this domain and could probably share all info we can, right? :D

kingwintergreen
lol, it as the damn that got me, what can I say? ;)

Ts'all good... :flower:

(I've got to watch that cussin')

Actually, there's another cool (though pricey) book that actually takes more than a casual look at the subject of coldwater aquaria, and it isn't older than stone (Jay Hemdal's Advanced Marine Aquarium Techniques). Some reviews of it tend toward the neg, but for exactly the reason we would like it-- the reef folk don't find it "relevent" enough (particularly the species section) because so much of it is oriented towards temperate aquarium husbandry! What I like about it is that it is all unique material (not filled with photos of bread-and-butter fish or rehashed summaries of the nitrogen cycle).

Is that the one with the sections on nonphotosynthetic reefs and the like? I've been looking at picking that up for a while, now I'll have to fork out the cash lol.

Mynameskenny19

Ok, ive done LOTS of reading on the internet and havent found much. Dang, im a horrible researcher lol.

What's this book you and Wintergreen are talking about??? Sounds interesting.

Mynameskenny19

Book-marked and put on layaway at Borders for me to pic up tomorrow lol.

Not to sound smart@ss or anything, but do YOU guys consider yourselves "advanced aquarists"???

Haha, I consider myself advanced for the town of Samoa, California lol since we have the ONLY fish tank here.

Well, I don't have a degree in biological sciences, but I would consider myself knowledgable and capable enough to successfully keep unconventional marine biotopes.

Is that an answer? ;)

Mynameskenny19

Thats a good enough answer as any!

Hey, in your custom coldwater tank thread, how did you make your stand/tank enclosure?

Im just wanting to know because that is awesome! Ive been looking at it for a few weeks wondering...

kingwintergreen
Is that the one with the sections on nonphotosynthetic reefs and the like? I've been looking at picking that up for a while, now I'll have to fork out the cash lol.

Hemdal? Yeah, really a bunch of stuff about anything-- there is an unusual amount of focus on animal health, water quality control/equipment, a liberal smattering of charts and tables, unusual livestock-- just lots of random advanced stuff... reading it is sort of like listening in on a happy-hour conversation between Bruce Carlson and Bob Fenner. It's a pretty good book.

Book-marked and put on layaway at Borders for me to pic up tomorrow lol.

Not to sound smart@ss or anything, but do YOU guys consider yourselves "advanced aquarists"???

Haha, I consider myself advanced for the town of Samoa, California lol since we have the ONLY fish tank here.

I am far superior due to my coldwater reefing skills! Bow down to me!

lol, j/k. It's just cause it's something that's still sort of on the fringe, no one knows that much about it, so if you have any experience with it, you're basically an expert. In this sense, "advanced" doesn't really mean it's difficult, it just means you have to figure it out for yourself.

-Jamie

Link? I'm lazy.

Thats a good enough answer as any!

Hey, in your custom coldwater tank thread, how did you make your stand/tank enclosure?

Im just wanting to know because that is awesome! Ive been looking at it for a few weeks wondering...

With a $75 cheap-o table saw from Lowe's, some 3/4" oak plywood, and a lot of amber shellac. The facing on the front is solid oak. Plus I have OCD, so I measured everything seven times, lol.

If you want it just pay the exorbitant shipping, but the tank is not available anymore. :)

Mynameskenny19
Link? I'm lazy.

With a $75 cheap-o table saw from Lowe's, some 3/4" oak plywood, and a lot of amber shellac. The facing on the front is solid oak. Plus I have OCD, so I measured everything seven times, lol.

If you want it just pay the exorbitant shipping, but the tank is not available anymore. :)

Haha, no thanks man. I'd rather actually build it myself so that I can brag to my friends saying

"hey, i BUILT that!" lol

• 3 weeks later...

Bump, for the group buy. Post what you want again to satisfy my OCD and I'll email the guy back for a new price. I'm not sure yet about when to ship, it's still a little toasty here.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

They do, I got a quote from them a while back. Pretty good prices, actually. Just email them, they're really nice. iirc, the phylum packages are the best bang for the buck.

They do, I got a quote from them a while back. Pretty good prices, actually. Just email them, they're really nice. iirc, the phylum packages are the best bang for the buck.

great. thanks jer :)

after i get the 40 up and running, i might try out an order with them and see how it goes. they have so much it's almost overwhelming though

• 2 months later...
Steve got his fish from a wholesaler in Australia, and paid a TON of money to get the livestock here (both to them and to people in LA who brokered the stuff through customs). The link he put up to the website doesn't work, and I think I searched it a while back to see if they'd changed websites and didn't find it.

I have seen coldwater boxfish for sale before, though I don't remember the website. They were $400 each.

ABG doesn't exist anymore. If you want coldwater fish from AU you are essentially limited to Cairns Marine or a guy named Steve McLeod (sorry, no company name, but I can PM his email).

Like you said, the overnight freight from AU and customs broker fees will kill ya.

• 1 month later...

I added a few more member tanks to the first post. If anyone has any more to add, or any coldwater links in general, PM me or post a link here. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...