Coral Vue Hydros

Coldwater Resource Thread

jeremai

As the title suggests, I'm setting up this thread to be a catch-all for coldwater livestock information. If you come across anything you think is relevant, post a link here or send me a PM.

Start Here.

Information:

Couple short articles from Aquadaily.com, here and here.

Article from Advanced Aquarist, March 2009 and another, from May 2009 (the second one has many photos from our members).

Technical articles on Corynactus californica (strawberry anemones): here, here and here.

Oregon Reef (formerly Steve Weast's tank)

Cold Water Images

Anemone Types

Steve Wrobel's Temperate Articles One & Two (my link broke - Jamie? Anyone?)

Yahoo! Coldwater Fish Group

Info on Choosing Livestock

Threads from RC, One and Two

Livestock:

foreshores.net

Gulf of Maine

Member's Tanks:

Jacob's Coldwater Tank

Lalani's Coldwater Tank

yellowslayer13's Southern California 280g

JIM27's 10g tidepool tank

Jamie's 16 gallon Coldwater

horusmachine's 5.5 Pacific Coast coldwater tank

musicalmike's Coldwater Tank

Mynameskenny19's 75g Humboldt Bay Biotope, and the same Reborn.

MrAnderson's 50g Aqua Logic Coldwater Tank

AlaskaMatt's 20g Alaskatope

Hoobahans' Whitman College Coldwater Tanks

Jamie's 15g Dual Biotope, formerly Jamie's Zero-Edge Coldwater Tank

dshnarw's Coldwater Tank

Jeremai's Custom Coldwater Tank

------------------

Now, first order of business, we have a potential group buy from foreshores.net. Here is the email I recieved in response to my inquiry:

I apologize for the slow reply, I am in the process of moving tanks and things (and you have to finish what you start rather quickly in this hot weather). Shipping is my single largest expense, so everything would indeed have to go to a single address for any kind of break (sorry). Breaks, even if small (everything helps), are however possible, depending on the item and quantity. For example, supplies and availability for strawberries is so low that I had a quantity LIMIT on them for each order until recently! Let me know what you need, how much, etc. and I'll see what we can do. Thanks!

Kenneth Wingerter

I'd like to focus on strawberry anemones and perhaps a couple other species depending on what everyone wants. If you're interested post what and how many you would like and I'll email Kenneth back. I'd like to be able to get him a list in the next week or so.

Ok... GO!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

okay...just pm'ed this, but I'll put it here as well...

Santa jeremai, I'd like:

1 Brooding Anemone (juvenile) (Epiactis lizbethae)

1 Aggregating Anemone (Anthopleura elegantissima)

1 Mossy Chiton (Mopalia muscosa)

1 Plumose Anemone (white) (Metridium senile)

2-3 Strawberry (or Club-Tipped) Anemone (Corynactis californica)

and a bigger fish tank :D

PS: you PNWers suck...I know Jamie has half that list already from tidepools :(

I've done shipping before with mostly success, so I don't mind doing it or at minimum talking someone through it. My only worry is that we'd be shipping everything cross country for it to turn around and go right back if I did it.

I could, since I'm so close, maybe they'd cut us a break since it would reduce shipping costs. Just an idea. For now, it's the same as what I pm'ed you, 1 strawberry and 1 brooding anemone. I have to hear back from Randy before I can confirm that though.

-Jamie

I could, since I'm so close, maybe they'd cut us a break since it would reduce shipping costs. Just an idea. For now, it's the same as what I pm'ed you, 1 strawberry and 1 brooding anemone. I have to hear back from Randy before I can confirm that though.

-Jamie

Ok, I'll give it through the weekend to see if anyone else wants to set up a coldwater tank and then email him and see about the shipping to you and any quantity discounts.

Sounds good! If Randy hasn't gotten back to me by then, I'll assume it's a no go, but then again how could I say no to more strawberries?

There has to be someone else wanting coldwater livestock out there.

Sounds good! If Randy hasn't gotten back to me by then, I'll assume it's a no go, but then again how could I say no to more strawberries?

There has to be someone else wanting coldwater livestock out there.

i'm gonna check on the local club and see if anyone there wants to set up a tank. the idea got a lot of attention a few months ago when I was getting ready to set mine up.

Maybe we could get in touch with the oregonreef.com guy? I think I remember seeing few more vendors he suggested in a thread awhile back.

Steve got his fish from a wholesaler in Australia, and paid a TON of money to get the livestock here (both to them and to people in LA who brokered the stuff through customs). The link he put up to the website doesn't work, and I think I searched it a while back to see if they'd changed websites and didn't find it.

I have seen coldwater boxfish for sale before, though I don't remember the website. They were $400 each.

I've been to the website he got them from. It's called Aquatic Biodiversity Group. I just googled it though, and their link wasn't working, so maybe it has been moved. Either way, that would be ridiculously expensive, and most of those fish need larger tanks than most of us have.

-Jamie

Anyways....

I'm going to mexico for a week, so DON'T DO ANYTHING WITHOUT ME!!! Well, you can keep posting random smileys, but other than that...

Daniel, hear anything about strawberries yet?

Anyways....

I'm going to mexico for a week, so DON'T DO ANYTHING WITHOUT ME!!! Well, you can keep posting random smileys, but other than that...

Daniel, hear anything about strawberries yet?

nope...nothing