Pod Your Reef

Sunlight Clam Pico II (1.25g)

tinyreef

updates two days in a row! woohoo! i'm playing hooky too much lately.

11AM shot, still morning sunlight.

2008-1017-3.jpg

temps crept up a little to 84F so i turned the fan timer back another 15-minutes to start the cooling earlier and removed the hob cover to allow more evaporative cooling.

i'm re-thinking whether or not to hook the ato to a kalk reactor. my progressive testing of kalk dosing shows there is an upper limit to what the tank can tolerate. i think i hit it today and saw some reaction from the clam. the corals had always been p!ssy about it :P but again, a lot of the setup has always been planned around the clam.

i'll probably go with a fw ato and just dose the ca/alk supps then. hrm.

i'm also probably going to remove some of the shrooms and the pipe organ. they don't seem to like the tank. then again, shrooms and i don't usually get along anyways. <_<

the litophyton, caulestra, gsp, stoloniferans, palys, capnella, clavularia, and some of the shrooms are fine. just the pipe and two of the shrooms are being prissy. the lone zoanthid was doing well but got knocked loose and is currently snuggling under one of the shrooms actually. :huh: meh.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lol, it basically looks like a clam tank now
does that mean i should get another one? :naughtydance: the left-side is looking kinda bland nowadays.

there's a reeeeeal purty one at fraggle reef (where i got this croc) right now. hmmm....

my maxima downstairs is actually bigger than this tank, so i figure it'd only be temporary anyways. c'mon, is that so bad? :P

neato
domo arigato!
Well I am suprised you haven't gotten some sorta EYE full of that clam. I say Fawk em !! Add a tang! :naughtydance:
uhh, thank you?!? :huh: what 'EYE' mean? like flamings and snide remarks?

finally got off my ass and set up the ato. i've re-considered hooking it to a kalk reactor based upon some test results during the week. so it's just connected to a quart of fw top-off.

2008-1018-1.jpg

fts w/ato. gah, i hate how it looks. but no other option's available that i can see. bleh.

2008-1018-2.jpg

i removed some more corals to free up some space and i raised the water level (higher than what's depicted above). it's only 1/4" off the top now vs. about 3/4" above.

i've also moved the tank more center to the window and about 1' closer to it. i estimate that this results in a daily increase of direct sunlight of about 1-hour in the afternoon. there might be some increase in the morning but i'll have to double-check that. the move was partly just to give the tank more light (arbitrary) but also to compensate for the season change (planned).

well, i've still been battling temps recently. ironically, it's teh low temps that have been worrying me of late (i'm assuming the daytime high temps are under control though). low temps have reached 72F in the morning and afternoon (w/fan timed 'on'). i saw temps re-stabilized at 77F~78F at night.

the little marineland pre-set heater just can't hack it with the fan cooling and the ambient temp drops from the early onset of the cold season. (recently, it's been unseasonably cold here, 32F vs. typical 45F~50F)

luckily, i had already decide to bite the bullet and get a chiller. i settled on nanotuner's heater/chiller unit Pacific Coast Imports CL-85. i actually bought it off ebay last weekend from them because i was shopping for an inexpensive (i.e. <$100) model there. but i finally just gave up and opted for nanotuner's unit (due to both for their reputation and the price was reasonable).

i especially liked the dual-heat/chill aspect though because the pico can/does range from <72F to >85F daily! :o

just unpacked! it was packed well, i cleaned up the packing peanuts and etc. the pen is just for scale/comparison.

2008-1024-1.jpg

i hope to have it up and running tonight. tomorrow's the NJreef club's swap meet-whatever so i won't have the time to mess with it tomorrow.

i'll be posting some more pics this weekend. i had done some re-aquascaping too (removed some more corals and added some others). some of the nighttime ones of the clam still seem scary to me. :unsure: (clam noob) it just looks more 'stressed' at sleep than the maxima downstairs.

but during the day, (what liitle time i get to see it during the week) it still seems fine.

in fact, the blanching in the middle (from shipping or pre-existing) seems to have finally re-colored up. i'll double-check that this weekend.

the new shell growth has settled in too (i changed a little of my ca/alk supps).

but i still don't think it's anchored down yet via its byssal threads. it does look really weird with its phototropic stretching. :unsure:

thanks for reading!

Oh wow a new toy! This little tank has is getting better all the time. Hope this does the trick for you. Plenty of updates needed for this one. Also I recomend you get in touch with nano-tuners right away and get some sort of commision for how many of these they sell from this thread. Make a code for people to use to ID that this is were they saw it like Tinyspico. Just a thought.

Did you skip work this Friday also?

...and get some sort of commision for how many of these they sell from this thread.
oh, i'd love to be paid commish just on what do normally here at work. i don't think i could afford me though. :P

Did you skip work this Friday also?
yeah, right. i was only able to stay home last week because i was dealing with a "client emergency" (client stupidity) because heading back to work would've netted me 15-minutes of chaos when i walked in. screw that.

no, i had the unit sent to my office instead. commercial-to-commercial deliveries tend to be cared for better ime than commercial-to-residential. that's tiny's "tip of the day!" ;)

the new toy does look shiny. B) haven't had a reef toy in a while. i hope it does resolve this temp fluctuation issue (imo, it's a tough little clam to be able to take these variations!). i just wish i didn't have to plop down the $200+. i really wanted the tank to be simple/affordable/natural. bleh.

busy day

testing the chiller/heater unit. heat seems to function pretty well. we'll see tomorrow if the chilling works. too cloudy today for it to really kick in.

2008-1025-1.jpg

finally rigged up...yeah, it's as fugly as it looks. >.< i'll trim the hose down a bit and organize it better tomorrow.

2008-1025-2.jpg

i scarfed some new livestock at the NJReefer Swap Meet today. i'll post up the goodies tomorrow.

Geez, you had time to hit the swap and get that done?

Busy day indeed!

That little table looks like it will house this pico and chiller quite nicely. :)

Looking forward to seeing what you picked up Tiny......I had a great time at the swap and snagged a few sweet frags myself. B)

weekend update!

went to the njreefers swap meet on saturday. i believe it was my first real swap meet/hobby convention actually. what time did you get there nrf? we swooped in/out around 12PM.

nice selection and great pricing! so i snatched up a baby maxima and a couple of sarcophyton elegans frags (one below and one for my display tank).

2008-1026-2.jpg

also setup the chiller/heater yesterday. the heater function works perfectly (nighttime) and so far the chiller keeps it a steady 78F~80F during the morning sun. the unit has a tolerance level of 2F+/- (or 1C+/-) depending if it's predominantly chilling or heating.

2008-1026-6.jpg

overhead shot, sorry for the reflective glare (nature of the beast). the sarcos are already phototroping towards the sun. the xenia doesn't appear to be really happy though but meh.

2008-1026-4.jpg

i've struck gold!!! :P the sarco's a nice golden yellow actually. a lot of these pics are muted from the lighting obviously.

2008-1026-7.jpg

well, so far so good. i just need to tidy up a bit on the various hoses, wires, and overall setup to make it look purtier. but everything seems to have settled in nicely from the week of massive re-aqauscaping, coral removal/addition, new chiller/heater, new maxima, and my usual little "oopsies" here and there. :unsure:

i'm thinking baby tang next. hmmm...

...i keed, i keed. sheesh, people relax out there! :rolleyes:

thanks for reading! :happy:

Looks great Tiny. I am loving those clams! Can't wait to see the next pics.

To answer one of your earlier posts, I have my BettaCube set up and cycling. I am building the hood/light for it now. I was going to wait until the hood was done to start my thread, but you may be able to talk me into starting it now! ;)

-Prof

awesome tiny. i have to respiffify my little pico as well. i've still been keeping it simple though. just added a heater last weak after seeing temp fluxes from 72 to 80+ as well. now it generally ranges from 75-77 due to the cooler weather. i wish i had the time to work on it but i recently had knee surgery so it's been a bit difficult. ;)

Keep the updates coming Tiny, this thread promises to be as fascinating as your last Pico thread, albeit in completely different ways!

I look forward to the addition of the school of Baby Tangs.

On a completely different note, it would be funny if you and NRF crossed paths but didn't know it. I've had that happen to me with other NR members at Frag Swaps before.

Hey Tiny, forget the school of Baby Tangs, how bout one of these guys for your Pico???

IMG_2205.jpg

That's Bob, the Super-Sexy Eunice Worm I just shipped to dshnarw.

It was a stroke of luck that I found that one for him, but if you're really nice, I can keep an eye out for one for you too...

I was going to wait until the hood was done to start my thread, but you may be able to talk me into starting it now!
dooo eeet!

i wish i had the time to work on it but i recently had knee surgery so it's been a bit difficult.
stitches and blood loss are acceptable excuses. for now. :P

On a completely different note, it would be funny if you and NRF crossed paths but didn't know it. I've had that happen to me with other NR members at Frag Swaps before.
oh yeah, there were definitely a couple of crazy-eyed dudes there...but then again, it is jersey. *shrugs*

just kidding, nrf. :P

it was fun. i was jealous that some of the guys were able to get their gf's to come along/be interested.

...or maybe it was the other way around?!? ;)

Hey Tiny, forget the school of Baby Tangs, how bout one of these guys for your Pico???

IMG_2205.jpg

That's Bob, the Super-Sexy Eunice Worm I just shipped to dshnarw.

It was a stroke of luck that I found that one for him, but if you're really nice, I can keep an eye out for one for you too...

*faints*

weet, i think i'll need a bigger tank for something like that.

and some steel mesh gloves.

and a pair steel tongs.

and a taser.

i can only imagine if the fedex/customs guy that opens that for a routine check. omgomgomg

actually, that reminds me of a funny story involving fedex, a transshipper, and me talking to a fedex service lady regarding a misship. suffice to say, she was more than willing to give me a full refund/take my word on it, than have me continue describing the livestock and it's possible condition after three days inside the shipping carton. post-1446-1225043374.gif

you always keep learning stuff.

i learned something about kalk the other day from bdare and today i learned clam 'polyps', nodules, uvulas, whatevers also color up as well!

2008-1026-9.jpg?9064

i always thought those extra pieces of fleshy polyps just stay body color/dull. then today i spotted an archipelago (word of the day!) of color as the clam was doing its daily sun tanning. :P

...hey, gimme a break. i'm starved for pics through the week. i haveta wait until the weekends and then it has to be sunny as well (yesterday wasn't) and i have to get the pics within a small window of time. *sigh*

oh yeah, there were definitely a couple of crazy-eyed dudes there...but then again, it is jersey. *shrugs*

just kidding, nrf. :P

it was fun. i was jealous that some of the guys were able to get their gf's to come along/be interested.

...or maybe it was the other way around?!? ;)

No, no, that was actually an accurate description Tiny.... :lol:

My wife and I were there from 9 am 'till about 1.....( and I am lucky as she is interested and even found Borneman's "better fragging" talk interesting ) B)

Just lovin' this tank Tiny!

Archived