ReefCleaners.org

Baby hammer or torch?

Sctn4Elk

This has been in my tank a while (actually 2 really close together) and I finally figured I would try to ID it. It came on some red mushroom LR and has been steadily getting bigger...enough so that I could finally get a pic of it. The coloring in the pic is true under 14k MH, a dark grey with green tips. When they close up there is a hard little skeleton like a branching hammer/frogspawn.

what.jpg

Any ideas?

i wanna say majano nem, but the pic isn't so great.

No, I don' think so...it has a hard skeleton and I know what Majano look like (I have two), it doesn't retract like Majano...I sorta reminds me of my branching hammer...but IDK

the pic is kinda blurry so it hard to tell but if you are sure it has a skeletal structure then it could be a hammer or torch. Hammers do not generally show their "hammer" shape until they get a little larger.

so you will just have to wait and see.

keep us updated...maybe try using the macro setting on your cam to grab a better pic

although it really does look like a majano, there are all different types.

ha ha...my pos camera was on macro.....its really hard to get clear pics because it is a small bowfront so unless you are directly in front, the images are distorted...I'll try to get a pic of it retracted into the skeleton....

OK, latest pics...two normal size and two blowups..sorry if they are blurry...but I think you can clearly see the skeletal structure...

DSCN1566.JPG

DSCN1571.JPG

tiny1.jpg

tiny2.jpg

I have two of the same things too, but mine a really small. It came from a frogspawn that died.

These are pretty small...about 1/8 inch skeleton, maybe 1/4 inch fully extended...

JerseyChick
OK, latest pics...two normal size and two blowups..sorry if they are blurry...but I think you can clearly see the skeletal structure...

DSCN1571.JPG

That looks like a hammer to me... But I am a newb

That looks like a hammer to me... But I am a newb

Ha Ha...not the large single headed hammer to the right in the pic...the two small ones in the center of the pic.....good one though... :huh:

Well, I have been looking a little more closely at this and I can just barely see two more little heads next to the main two. It appears as though they are growing out of a brown encrusting tissue surrounding the two main heads.

You can just barely see them in the blowup photos of the heads and skeletons. One is at the 7 oclock position and one is at the 4 oclock position.

Is this how hammers/torch grow? Since I only have a frag of hammer to go by and most pics don't show the base of the corals I don't know what they should look like?

Is this how hammers/torch grow? Since I only have a frag of hammer to go by and most pics don't show the base of the corals I don't know what they should look like?

yes, this is common for branching LPS. They look exactly as they should for this age.

If you do a search for torch corals in the ID forum, you'll find another thread that discusses torch hitchhikers, with pics from the time it was noticed until it was a decently large head.

yes, this is common for branching LPS. They look exactly as they should for this age.

If you do a search for torch corals in the ID forum, you'll find another thread that discusses torch hitchhikers, with pics from the time it was noticed until it was a decently large head.

Great...hmmm why didn't I see that when I first searched :huh: .....oh well I'll try again...

• 1 month later...

Archived